2013 - wet PTU | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That would be a really good move for Ford if they smartened up. Do please check.

Interesting idea. Assuming the PD uses PIU's, I'm SURE the shop has done some replacements.

Also, unless you are on good terms with the dealership, they may not like you bringing in your own part, especially if they have to sign off on ANY form of warranty. Independent shops more often than not don't care, but the big ones may say no. When I bring my own stuff to my guy, he's happy he doesn't have to go hunting for the parts. The dealership may give you the side eye because you are undercutting their profits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be a really good move for Ford if they smartened up. Do please check.

Interesting idea. Assuming the PD uses PIU's, I'm SURE the shop has done some replacements.

Also, unless you are on good terms with the dealership, they may not like you bringing in your own part, especially if they have to sign off on ANY form of warranty. Independent shops more often than not don't care, but the big ones may say no. When I bring my own stuff to my guy, he's happy he doesn't have to go hunting for the parts. The dealership may give you the side eye because you are undercutting their profits.
I just checked and it appears they intend to use the "F" variant of the PTU which I think is the one you were purchasing. Also price is $2400 not 2200 :(

Here is the parts list and prices from the dealer

Qty Description Part # Price Total
1 POWER TAKE OFF ASY DG1Z7251F 1,252.21 1252.21
8 Nut W714265S441 3.75 30.00
2 Gasket 7T4Z9450AA 16.88 33.76
1 Gasket AA5Z6L612A 21.87 21.87
2 Bolt W712806S900 9.75 19.50
2 Oil- Auto Trans XT10QLVC 13.74 27.48
1384.82 Total Parts
1017.47 Labor
2402.29 Parts+Labor

Sorry when posting it takes all the spacing out of the list (it looks good before hitting save).

So the question is...do you currently have the PTU with the cooler or without the cooler on your vehicle? The letter at the end of the part number is just the most up-to-date version of the whatever part you currently have. @Rob_I was changing from one without a cooler to one with a cooler, IIRC...so there were some differences in his case.

So the question is...do you currently have the PTU with the cooler or without the cooler on your vehicle? The letter at the end of the part number is just the most up-to-date version of the whatever part you currently have. @Rob_I was changing from one without a cooler to one with a cooler, IIRC...so there were some differences in his case.
I have the turbo motor so I believe it has the cooler so that might be why they recommended this part for mine and not his.

You can buy that exact part number for up to $500 less, depending on where you get it.
Exactly why I'm considering seeing if they will either negotiate on the price or let me bring my own if I take it to the dealer, or just get the parts online for what's listed above and take it to the local guy if he's willing and able to do it.

I have the turbo motor so I believe it has the cooler so that might be why they recommended this part for mine and not his.

That doesn't mean you have the one with the cooler...there were some early versions that did not have one....but it is good that they are giving you the part number with the one that does. If you didn't have a cooler, there are a number of additional parts required to convert.

I will reply to other threads. Actually, I DID have a cooler so it was a one-to-one direct replacement. My cooler lines were frozen in place so they needed to be replaced.

I just checked and it appears they intend to use the "F" variant of the PTU which I think is the one you were purchasing. Also price is $2400 not 2200 :(

Here is the parts list and prices from the dealer

This parts list does not shock me. I don't have it in front of me, but MY additional parts my mechanic needed was similar. I had to add cooler lines, so depending, that may or may not need to be added. Like $100 if I recall?

I will reply to other threads. Actually, I DID have a cooler so it was a one-to-one direct replacement. My cooler lines were frozen in place so they needed to be replaced.
Oh ok, my memory failed me, lol. Gettin old...

Back