2014 Explorer Sport premature brake pad wear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport premature brake pad wear?

joeyg5201

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hi. I am wondering if anyone has a '14 Explorer Sport and is experiencing what seems to be unusual brake pad wear. I have 19,000 miles (mostly highway. I drive around 75-100 miles a day) and the warning tabs squeak are not making noise anymore and it's given way to grinding.

I have NEVER had brake pads wear out like this. I have a 2011 Tahoe with 125,000 miles - same driving route - and replaced the brake pads once.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it just one wheel thats showing wear like that?

You probably have a sticky caliper. Check your warranty. Brakes usually aren't included unless there's a material defect (like a sticky caliper).

Thanks. It's going into the shop tomorrow to check it out. I will reference the caliper matter. Much appreciated.

Is it just one wheel thats showing wear like that?

You probably have a sticky caliper. Check your warranty. Brakes usually aren't included unless there's a material defect (like a sticky caliper).
I believe that there is a post or two that says brakes are covered for 12,000 miles.

Peter

My 2013 Explorer with only 16,500 miles has just experienced worn pads on the right front wheel, with the caliper just starting to squeak the other day. A check of the rotor shows damaging grooves worn into it by the pads. The left front pads and rotor show normal wear, with plenty of useful material left on them. Called the local dealer and was told no TSB's regarding premature wear of brakes, and that something probably got between the rotor and pad, causing it to shift and damage the rotor. Approximate cost by dealership to replace both front rotors and pads will be between $400 - $500. In more that 37 years of driving, never had anything damage a rotor or pad by getting between or shifting them, much less the front pads wearing out in less than 17,000 miles.

I have a 2014 Explorer Limited 4wd. I have only about 700 miles on it however I have noticed what appears to be grooves forming on the drivers side rear rotor. This is no noise or other indications of a problem. The grooves are very noticeable. Running a finger across the rotor I can feel definite grooves. All the other rotors have a smooth surface. Is this something I should have checked out? Any assistance is appreciated.

Hard to compare Tahoe brakes to anything else. For the trucks GM and Ford put the best brakes/rotors you can buy. My Tahoe pads/rotors lasted almost 100k miles.

I only have 3600 on my Explorer but the brakes are ok so far :)

Hi. I am wondering if anyone has a '14 Explorer Sport and is experiencing what seems to be unusual brake pad wear. I have 19,000 miles (mostly highway. I drive around 75-100 miles a day) and the warning tabs squeak are not making noise anymore and it's given way to grinding.

I have NEVER had brake pads wear out like this. I have a 2011 Tahoe with 125,000 miles - same driving route - and replaced the brake pads once.

Thanks.

Just a heads up there is a known issue with the rear brakes on the 14 Sport's squealing. The engineers in Dearborn know about it and a fix is in the works.

My Sport has it with 6000 miles on it so I sent them some video for their engineering tests.

Some ammo for you when dealing with your service advisor incase they play silly.

Thanks very much. I was told it was a rock that got stuck between the pad and the rotor on front right and sticky caliper on left. They addressed both and I was on my way. No charge. Thanks again everyone.

I have a 2014 Explorer Limited 4wd. I have only about 700 miles on it however I have noticed what appears to be grooves forming on the drivers side rear rotor. This is no noise or other indications of a problem. The grooves are very noticeable. Running a finger across the rotor I can feel definite grooves. All the other rotors have a smooth surface. Is this something I should have checked out? Any assistance is appreciated.

If the grooves you mention are that noticeable. Stop at a Dealer, the sooner the better.......Plum

Back