• Register Today It's free!

2014 good bad or indifferent???

Styx

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddy 93&13 limited
I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 explorer limited with the 3.5 na and AWD. It's been several years since I've worked for ford and was not around for the last gen. Just looking for info on the 2014. What should I be looking for what should I stay away from and what is the best thing about them.
Thanks in advance. If it looks good and there are no real problems reported then I might be pulling the trigger as early as this weekend.

I should add it has 56000 kms (canadian) and is priced around $35k one owner no accidents (car fax report)...

Cheers Randy...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same when buying any used vehicle.
Ensure service records are available (oil change at the proper interval) and that recalls are all done.
Bring the vehicle to an independent garage of your choice for a thorough inspection.

Thanks for the reply but I don't think you understood my question. I was speaking in general what's a 2014 ex like???
I totally get the idea of getting a vehicle checked out having been a mechanic for some 25+ years now... but I just want to know what's breaking on them...

Cheers...

613GT500- thanks for those links.
Styx- just an fyi for comparison- couple weeks ago I got a 2014 XLT, FWD with 202A package, 23 thousand kilometers for $29K U.S. Vehicle is truly in like new condition- was kept garaged and is immaculate.
There was a recall announced last week:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444866
So you'll want to get that VIN and then check this page to see if it's on the list by looking at the build date:
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Ended up getting a 2013 limited pearl white such a great ride. every option except the heated rear seats... Oh well the kids will have cold seats in the winter...lol...
I'll post up a picture later...

Cheers and thanks for the info...

Here you go...

Attachments

• 20160514_184553.jpg
    20160514_184553.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 218

Thanks for the reply but I don't think you understood my question. I was speaking in general what's a 2014 ex like???
I totally get the idea of getting a vehicle checked out having been a mechanic for some 25+ years now... but I just want to know what's breaking on them...

Cheers...

I had a 2014 XLT for 2 years. I wasn't a big fan of some of the controls and how they were laid out and I hated the seats because you felt like you were sitting in a hole. The suspension was also clunky and the 3.5L lacked "spunk".

I am now driving a 2016 Base and they made significant improvements in the controls, the ride, and the seats. I'm no longer sitting in a hole (I'm 6'2"). Also I have the 2.3L ecoboost and it's a significant improvement over the 3.5L NA in gas mileage and acceleration.

I think I'd go for a 2016 or 2017 if I were you.

Here you go...
Very nice. Looks like the 2011 Limited I had except for the hood deflector. I was really happy with it. Are you sure the colour isn't White Platinum Tri-Coat? Also, have you checked to the spare tire well for signs of water? There are several posts of members finding water/moisture there due to leaks from the roof or liftgate.
Happy motoring.

Peter

Thanks Peter, you are correct on the color sure looks good in the sunlight... I did check the spare well having been a Ford tech in the past I am always leary of water leaks...
Halweg, the seats are fine for me I'm 5'9" and my wife is shorter.funny how adjusting them makes them fit just right... as for a 16 or 17 ya I love my wife and all but that isn't in the budget with my shop build going on...

Cheers...

Attachments

• 20160529_164237.jpg
    20160529_164237.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 147

Back