2014 Oil Leak REALLY! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Oil Leak REALLY!

I did not.....too much going on this weekend and totally forgot. Car isnt there yet getting dropped off after they finish recall of '08 Taurus X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so, car is ready to be pickedup....reset oil change reminder, says it wasn't reset properly...cannot reproduce oil smell.....hopefully it doesnt come back...

I have a 2015 explorer and I have an oil leak that seems to be coming from the front of the motor, timing chain cover? This is my second time to the dealer and they cant seem to find the leak...
Im wondering if there is an issue with those motors, that causes it to drip under certain conditions

I have a 2015 explorer and I have an oil leak that seems to be coming from the front of the motor, timing chain cover? This is my second time to the dealer and they cant seem to find the leak...
Im wondering if there is an issue with those motors, that causes it to drip under certain conditions
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
In many cases of a leak it has been traced back to a leaking PTU seal.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379087&highlight=PTU+seal

Peter

Welcome to the site, shmiller35! I'm the Ford Service rep here and I'd like to see what I can do to help with your oil leak. How many miles are on the Explorer? Is it still at the dealer or have you brought it home? Let me know and I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just wanted to let you know that my 2015 explorer 3.5 is at the dealer right now with an oil leak. I am a Porsche , Audi VW service and parts director. I noticed leak at 3000 miles . Vehicle currently has just under 5k. Dealer added dye and will drive overnight. From the picture shown in this thread it is exactly where mine is leaking. Also in service for the navigation issues that seem to be common. Hope all members realize how lucky they are to have A Ford service person working so closely with this forum. I can't get this much help from my manufacturers. Hope it's a quick, permanent fix. My family really loves this vehicle.

Just wanted to let you know that my 2015 explorer 3.5 is at the dealer right now with an oil leak. I am a Porsche , Audi VW service and parts director. I noticed leak at 3000 miles . Vehicle currently has just under 5k. Dealer added dye and will drive overnight. From the picture shown in this thread it is exactly where mine is leaking. Also in service for the navigation issues that seem to be common. Hope all members realize how lucky they are to have A Ford service person working so closely with this forum. I can't get this much help from my manufacturers. Hope it's a quick, permanent fix. My family really loves this vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Hope the dealer gets it fixed for you. Please add the 'model' of the Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

An update on mine: I took it in for a Works oil change earlier this year and informed them of the leak. They passed it off as "road grime" and I didn't press the issue. Fast forward to today I checked it again and it's definitely an oil leak, albeit slow (no measurable drop in oil level). I don't have any burning smells, either.

image.jpg

I'll probably bring it in soon and I'll update if anything worthwhile happens. I'm fighting an oil leak on my BMW 330xi, as well so I feel like I'm in seeping oil purgatory.

Update 2:

Brought it in and they found the timing chain cover leaking. According to the repair order they resealed the cover (RTV) and replaced the crankshaft seal. Took 3 days which was frustrating for 6.3 work units, but they explained that EVERYTHING on the accessory belt side had to come out, including the A/C which they had to refill with Freon.

We'll see how it holds up. Now I'm just trying to decide what to do with the half eaten sandwich the tech left in the engine bay.

Update 2:

Brought it in and they found the timing chain cover leaking. According to the repair order they resealed the cover (RTV) and replaced the crankshaft seal. Took 3 days which was frustrating for 6.3 work units, but they explained that EVERYTHING on the accessory belt side had to come out, including the A/C which they had to refill with Freon.

We'll see how it holds up. Now I'm just trying to decide what to do with the half eaten sandwich the tech left in the engine bay.
Are they still using Freon?? I thought that was replaced years ago.

Peter

That's what he said, I'm sure he meant R134a, although it's not on my work order anywhere.

Back