2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

My 2014 Explorer Sport was a surge/sluggish between 50-60 mph, have been to dealership and of course they don't feel it and with it not throwing any codes
they say its running fine. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar
problem also has a rough idle at start up.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I wonder if it could be the throttle body.

Also see thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418055&highlight=throttle+body
Unfortunately the OP did not report back with the results.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter

That post you sent the link to describes my problem better than I did. It is spot on. I brought this problem to dealers attention when it was still under warranty. I'm about 1200 miles passed the 36K so when I show them that post I'm sure they will be willing and ready to replace the throttle body on my dime. Wish I would have found it sooner. :(

. . . This happened to me for the first time after making a left U-Turn. I completed my turn and goosed the accelerator to keep ahead of the traffic closing in on me and....NOTHING. Only for or two or so seconds but nevertheless I can't help but think that since I'm a very assertive driver and probably leave less room for error than most drivers, that this hesitation may one day result in an accident or near-accident. It's very unnerving.
Happened to me again last Wednesday on the way home from work after ~45min in stop and go traffic - left u-turn under freeway, nailed it to merge into feeder road traffic and pfff . . . almost complete engine power cut . . . one thousand one, one thousand two . . . boom full throttle is back. Dry pavement, there was no low traction situation, nothing. No nanny indicators in the display. I was exiting (unwinding the steering wheel) from the left hand turn. I really hope the LMS tune inadvertently fixes this. I really love my XSport but I need to find a fix or workaround before someone nails me because I can't get out of their way. Dealer doesn't have a clue what the problem could be (no codes, no problem).

I've had that power cut happen a couple times lately too. Last time it was when I pulled onto the highway with barely enough room to accelerate and the engine just wasn't there for a second and a half. I've changed to Shell premium fuel since my local mechanic said the Co-op fuel around here can be a problem sometimes. My fuel mileage is better but it still only does 0-60 in 7.8-8 seconds and there are small stutters under WOT. We also occasionally have a surge/stumble when leaving the driveway. At first I thought it was my foot bouncing on the gas but a number of times it has happened on completely smooth pavement and I know my foot was staying still. The dealer I had servicing it had a wonderful suggestion. Service writer said to me "If it was my vehicle, I'd just drive it". I wish I could treat my customers like that. "The tool I designed doesn't do what I said it would do but if I were you I'd just keep using it and shut up" I know exactly how long I would be in business if I responded to customer concerns like that! I've heard there is a shop locally that has a dyno and I'm going to see if they can run this thing to see if it's making the power it is supposed to.

I've had that power cut happen a couple times lately too. Last time it was when I pulled onto the highway with barely enough room to accelerate and the engine just wasn't there for a second and a half. I've changed to Shell premium fuel since my local mechanic said the Co-op fuel around here can be a problem sometimes. My fuel mileage is better but it still only does 0-60 in 7.8-8 seconds and there are small stutters under WOT. We also occasionally have a surge/stumble when leaving the driveway. At first I thought it was my foot bouncing on the gas but a number of times it has happened on completely smooth pavement and I know my foot was staying still. The dealer I had servicing it had a wonderful suggestion. Service writer said to me "If it was my vehicle, I'd just drive it". I wish I could treat my customers like that. "The tool I designed doesn't do what I said it would do but if I were you I'd just keep using it and shut up" I know exactly how long I would be in business if I responded to customer concerns like that! I've heard there is a shop locally that has a dyno and I'm going to see if they can run this thing to see if it's making the power it is supposed to.

Just wondering if it is the throttle body starting to go?

Peter

Hi Peter,

That could very well be. Sounds like it's pretty hard to get a code when it is acting up and often it feels like it is just disconnected from the pedal. When its doing its surge/stumble it feels like the throttle plate can't find the point it's supposed to be at and is oscillating above and below the position commanded by the pedal. When it won't take off it feels like the Explorer is completely ignoring the throttle input. My dad had a 2003 Duramax so I'm well aware of what turbo lag feels like (not that this engine should suffer from that...) and it's not turbo lag. One idea I had today was I wonder if the MAF sensor is dirty. I say that because all the turbo pipes were loose and I know I could see spots where air had blown out. I assume if the air blew out under pressure it would suck in under vacuum so that would allow unfiltered air into the engine possibly fouling the MAF?? Just a thought.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Guys,

I dropped the sport off at the dealer today. Nick got my regional rep involved and had a I good talk with the service manager at the dealer where I purchased the Sport. They are going to put their best drivability guy in it with a data logger and see if they can reproduce it. We drove 10 hours to Saskatoon this last weekend and only had one incident where it felt like it wouldn't get going when I put the gas down. It's still slow 0-60 though 7.8-8 seconds. From what I can find online and in these forums that's the kind of time I should expect from the N/A 3.5 not the Ecoboost. I stopped by a local performance shop that has a dyno to see if they could check it out. I know that measuring HP with my ass and my iphone's stopwatch is very subjective so I wanted to get hard numbers. Sadly he only has a 2 wheel dyno and said that, as far as he knows the closest 4 wheel dyno is in Minneapolis, Mn (i'm near Wpg MB so that's a bit of a hike) Is it possible to remove the rear driveshaft on these and dyno the fronts? I just want to be able to point to definitive numbers instead of "feel" Maybe I'll luck out and the dealer will pinpoint the issue this week. Funny aside though.... got a Ford Fiesta as a rental (I'm 6'1" and NOT slim so that's fun!). I get on the street with the Fiesta and put the gas pedal down halfway to merge into traffic and there is a terrible shudder out of the transmission I think. Felt like it was slipping. And the enterprise rep was worried about the scratches on the car!! Haha. I'll make sure I let you guys what the dealer finds. The regional rep from Ford seems genuinely concerned so hopefully with his help we can get this thing figured out!

Possible Solution to Explorer Sport Hesitation/Stumble

Here is the latest on my hesitation/stumble issue with my 2014 Sport. Went to see the dealer on 6-23 to take another run at this problem. My usual service writer got “their best tech” to ride with me and just like the last time he couldn’t feel anything, so I moved up to the service manager, I drove and he drove, he didn’t acknowledge he felt the hesitation but he did sense my irritation with the problem. He told my service writer to have the throttle body cleaned at no charge (I have already burned through the bumper to bumper warranty with my mileage at 38,000). Picked the truck up that afternoon and no change with the issue. That was a Tuesday that following Saturday I decided to take a peek at the throttle body myself. I removed the 2 hose clamps that are at the front and back of the plastic elbow just before the throttle body because they were the easiest to get to. Well what I founded was about 2-3 tablespoons of motor oil pooled up at the bottom of the 2 ½” hose that leads into the mouth of the throttle body. The plastic elbow I removed holds the Mass Air Flow sensor. The inside of the elbow was coated with oil along with the MAF sensor. I was amazed that the dealer supposedly cleaned the TB and didn’t report the oil and also that the oil didn’t trip the CEL. So I clean the oil out of the elbow and clean the MAF sensor with some MAF cleaner and also cleaned the 2 ½” hose leading to the TB. I put it all back together and took a drive. The hesitation/stumble was gone no cutting out at WOT. I drove it all day that Saturday and checked it again that evening and the oil was re-appearing some of it I assumed was still in the piping that I could not get to but it had not started to affect performance yet. This problem started to remind of a similar issue I had with my 3rd gen RX7, those twins along with the rotary engine was generating so much heat the viscosity of 10w-30 oil Mazda had originally specified would not hold up under the heat and had to be bumped up to a 10w-50 to prevent it from entering the turbo system through the turbine shaft seal. So to make a long story longer I pulled out my service folder to check what the dealer had documented for my oil changes. As suspected they had use 5w-20 from my very first oil change and not the 5w-30 as specified. Non-ecoboost Explorers do use 5w-20. I changed the oil that Sunday to 5w-30 (The 5w-20 had only 8% oil life left so it was time) cleaned the elbow and MAF sensor once more. To date no more hesitation/stumble gas mileage is back up and so is the power. Still amazed the oil on the MAF didn’t trip the CEL. Pretty much figured out the dealer can’t diagnose anything unless there is a CEL on. Also wondering what long term damage may have been done to the seals in the turbo.

I had a similar issue recently, while driving the Sport up a hill under heavy acceleration it suddenly "bucked" and then a loud rush of air sound happened similar to a tire blowing. The vehicle had slightly less power but made it home.

Today the dealership tech reported back that they could hear the air rush sound (thank god they could replicate it) They did some extensive testing and found the wastegate actuator was stuck. It says they cleaned and lubricated it and the sound is now gone.

I don't fully understand the issue but just wanted to advise others incase someone has similar experience.

Update on this issue in case others have similar circumstances. The tech found the engine had thrown PCM code P0299.

Symptoms of a P0299 DTC may include: MIL (Malfunction indicator lamp) illumination Reduced power output from engine, possibly in a limp mode Unusual sounds from the engine/turbo

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor
Faulty wastegate bypass regulator valve (VW)
Low fuel pressure condition (Isuzu)
Sticking turbo nozzle control solenoid (Isuzu)
Faulty injector control pressure (ICP) sensor (Ford)
Low oil pressure (Ford) EGR system fault (Ford)
Variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) actuator (Ford)
VGT vanes sticking (Ford)

In my case they felt it was Turbo Waste Gate actuators sticking open

Guess we can add my name to the list. I have never owned a Ford before. We bought a brand new 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. We replaced our 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS with it. We got the Sport because replacing our 405hp SS was going to take something with higher horsepower or we knew we would be disappointed.

Things started off bad. At 250 miles (exactly) we had a SES light and the cam sensor was bad. Took a couple of days for that to be repaired. We had a few other odds and ends, but the biggest problem has been the "cutting out", hesitation, and the surging when driving lightly right after starting.

We have had it to the dealer MANY times for these issues and nothing has been found to correct. The dealer has done a lot of work with the truck so I really don't blame the dealer. They have even kept a logger in the truck for a week to see if they could capture the issue... nope. We haven't been back to the dealer in months at this point. Just frustrated. I want to get rid of it honestly. Can't believe we feel this way about a new vehicle that was stickered over $52K! It currently has 22,500 miles on it...

I still feel like something was done wrong when the cam sensor was replaced maybe... no idea. The biggest thing I can physically see is the BLACK exhaust pipes. I can polish them and in less than a week they are jet black again. Seems to be a super rich running truck. The pipes don't seem to bother the dealer at all... the only time I have experienced black pipes like this was when a car had an intake manifold leak.

I would go to another dealer. I do know mine has carbon deposit blackening on tailpipes with stock tune. As soon as I go to the SCT X4 91 tune its clean for ever.

This has also started happening to me when changing lanes. Let's say I want to move into the left lane to pass a car and I go to floor it and...nothing...happens! This is getting quite dangerous. It's amazing how a few seconds of not having any acceleration can put you and others in danger. Not good, Ford.

Having the same hesitation issue. Giving it about 3/4 throttle from a stop or after slowing down. The sport just boggs down for 2 seconds (RPMs don't hardly climb). Then the truck sometimes takes off like crazy. Took it to the dealer. No codes mean there's no problem. It normal they tell me. I tell them that I know how it use to drive, and now it's much different. I'm gonna stop by and take the service manager for a ride. This is really frustrating. I think my limited was faster now. Not sure why there is not a tsb on this issue.

Have any of you experienced this with the traction control and trailer sway control turned off? I have experienced it and I am almost positive it is the computer pulling power. It feels like the traction control is closing the throttle-body. Always when turning. My wife has felt it too. I turn off tc and trailer sway control every time I drive it now and I haven't felt the hesitation. Only have 1500 miles on it though and it is my wife's daily. She never disables the diver aids. I HATE them. Great sometimes for people that can't control a car, but horrible for people that know how to keep a drifting car in control. It is AWD, do you really need traction control? I say NO!! Anyway, it is getting annoying to have to go through the menu every time I start the thing and disable these two settings. Why the hell does trailer sway control automatically turn on. I would say 95% of the time Explorers are not towing. There is a tow button, so have it turn on when you hit that. Hey, I never hit that button. Maybe it will turn it off! I can't wait to put a tune in this thing!

The symptoms described. I've been there done that on this similar issue:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428219

My final entry:
I'm happy to report the dealer found the problem. It was a cracked vacuum hose at the throttle body.
Work order says:
VACCUM LEAK AT TCBY.
- FOLLOWED PPT HN1 AND HN2 FOUND VACUUM LEAK AT TCBY VALVE. REPAIRED VACUUM LEAK.

Have any of you experienced this with the traction control and trailer sway control turned off? I have experienced it and I am almost positive it is the computer pulling power. It feels like the traction control is closing the throttle-body. Always when turning. My wife has felt it too. I turn off tc and trailer sway control every time I drive it now and I haven't felt the hesitation. Only have 1500 miles on it though and it is my wife's daily. She never disables the diver aids. I HATE them. Great sometimes for people that can't control a car, but horrible for people that know how to keep a drifting car in control. It is AWD, do you really need traction control? I say NO!! Anyway, it is getting annoying to have to go through the menu every time I start the thing and disable these two settings. Why the hell does trailer sway control automatically turn on. I would say 95% of the time Explorers are not towing. There is a tow button, so have it turn on when you hit that. Hey, I never hit that button. Maybe it will turn it off! I can't wait to put a tune in this thing!

I've been experiencing occasional throttle response issues ,seems to only happen when I go wide open throttle from a dead stop. I'll try turning traction control off and see if that helps, thanks

I have a 2016 Doing the same thing sense it was new, has been to the dealer 5 time for the problem and same old BS no code Ford wont let us fix the problem. Dealer had it last week put 250 miles on it said nothing wrong with it. Sales man droped off at my house started it up about 20 min later to put it in my garage and it missed and stumbled the who way in. You would think after four model years of this problem Ford could fix it

Many 2016 models are getting throttle bodies replaced but they mostly seem to be the ones with the N/A 3.5L engine. One possible Ecoboost. Just for an FYI.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am about to recite a tail of woe that would make all of you cry in despair.
I purchased used a 2015 Explorer Sport with just under 15k miles - loaded, every toy imaginable. Fun to drive, comfortable front and rear. Certified!

Obviously the problems were not evident when I took it on a test drive, but who drives a mad machine like this as a grocery getter on the 3 miles you get to do while out with the salesman. I don't, I drove it like a sports car and let the testosterone do the rest. Lesson learned.

So the next day my wife drove the Sport to work and called me when she got there. "I think there might be something wrong with the car, hesitation going up hills. Might be me - I am used to driving my Energy". Her car makes it to work and back on battery so she doesn't even remember what a motor sounds like. I drove it, same issue - noticed the speedometer was way off as well - read over 10% high. Dealership told me I was nuts, speedometer was correctly calibrated and they could not feel any hesitation. Went back with video evidence of speedometer and this time they admitted I might have a point and they might have felt the hesitation. After 4 days they admitted Ford had installed the wrong transmission at build - it had the 6F50 instead of the 6F55 - this was the cause of the shifting issues and the speedometer issues. Ordered a new tranny, took 1 month 5 days from drop off until new tranny was installed.

Good news, speedometer now reads the correct speed!
Bad news, hesitation is still there - and the transmission made a grinding noise going up a small hill. Had the car a record 3 hours before having to return it. This was traced to a bad valve body, replaced, flushed fluid, and the transmission is now working correctly - seems to shift properly.

But - the hesitation remains. The dealership has asked me drive it >500 miles before I complained again but after a couple hundred miles it is still bad - same as before - slight acceleration particularly going up hills causes the hesitation. Dealership has had the car longer than I have and I am really tired of this.

Anyone have any advice as to where to tell my dealer to look? I am ow convinced there were two separate issues (Wrong transmission and hesitation not linked)

Back