2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

Throttle body is ordered. It will be here and put on tomorrow. I will drive it myself for a couple weeks to see if the issue is fixed.

Good luck. Hopefully this does it.

You should probably look into one of the cheap loggers you can route to your phone while you are driving it. Just in case the throttle body is not the solution and if it happens you will have any situation logged for the dealership.

That said hopefully this is the solution and you can get back to enjoying your Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well still noting from the dealership yet. I don't know what the holdup is. I will give them a call. Does anyone have a link to the data logger?

Day 1. No issues. I'll keep posting.

"The Service Manager told me that they need to have the code on the computer so the can get their money for the part and labor from Ford on warranty work".

that is a quote from the "throttle body" thread that says it all. It isn't a matter of your safety or if they probable know what to fix, it's if they will get paid for it.

That's what I feel goes on most of the time on warranty service. The days before computers were in cars was when real good mechanics earned their pay, they used their experiences and gut to solve and fix issues. Now they can't because it needs a "code" before they can do anything.

"The Service Manager told me that they need to have the code on the computer so the can get their money for the part and labor from Ford on warranty work".

that is a quote from the "throttle body" thread that says it all. It isn't a matter of your safety or if they probable know what to fix, it's if they will get paid for it.

That's what I feel goes on most of the time on warranty service. The days before computers were in cars was when real good mechanics earned their pay, they used their experiences and gut to solve and fix issues. Now they can't because it needs a "code" before they can do anything.

Thats unacceptable, get the Ford CS reps on here to involve your District Manager and get that resolved.

Sorry I have not updated this thread. It was the throttle body. I had to give them a code before they would change it.

Sorry I have not updated this thread. It was the throttle body. I had to give them a code before they would change it.

Do you mean you had a "check engine" light when you are referring to a "code"? If so, did you happen to note the actual CEL code the computer was showing? It would very likely be on your service receipt from the dealership.

It would never store a code. There was a guy that was having similar issues and had the mechanic come to him and scan for a code. For some reason after the vehicle was turned off, the check engine light would go away. I was basically being called a liar at the dealership. I had to get the code from the guy with the same issue.

It would never store a code. There was a guy that was having similar issues and had the mechanic come to him and scan for a code. For some reason after the vehicle was turned off, the check engine light would go away. I was basically being called a liar at the dealership. I had to get the code from the guy with the same issue.

Strange. Do you know what the code was? Maybe your buddy with the same problem could tell you what it was? I think it could prove helpful to others having similar issues.

Runaway throttle is what I told them. That's all they needed so that they could change it. I was about ready to buy something else.

This has been continuing to happen to me, about once or twice a month. I think I may have narrowed it down to it only happening after a turn, like trying to accelerate immediately after turning 90 degrees onto a side street. Maybe.

Tony

What happens when u hold it on the floor?

What happens when u hold it on the floor?

Not sure who you're asking, but in my case if you floor it absolutely nothing happens. There's a 3-4 second delay and then things suddenly come to life and it's back to normal again. It's as if the engine is being temporarily completely starved of fuel.

Tony

This has been continuing to happen to me, about once or twice a month. I think I may have narrowed it down to it only happening after a turn, like trying to accelerate immediately after turning 90 degrees onto a side street. Maybe.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Have you had your dealership take a look? How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

My explorer was doing the same thing. I had to ease up on the throttle before it would go.

Not sure who you're asking, but in my case if you floor it absolutely nothing happens. There's a 3-4 second delay and then things suddenly come to life and it's back to normal again. It's as if the engine is being temporarily completely starved of fuel.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Have you had your dealership take a look? How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

No, I haven't. I've had more than my share of dealerships for a while, and I'm not really looking forward to being without my vehicle for a problem that only happens a few times a month & that the service department will most likely not be able to duplicate. Guess the glass is half empty today.

About 5,000 miles.

Thanks, Crystal!!

Tony

The dealership I use gave me a loaner limited explorer. They did keep ours for a month though. Ford is having issues with these throttle bodies. It's not only on the explorers but other V6 engines as well. The problem is when you really need it (pull out in front of someone) that's when it will happen. I am surprised that this issue has not been taken more serious. I had to really do my homework and show my ass to get them to change the part.

No, I haven't. I've had more than my share of dealerships for a while, and I'm not really looking forward to being without my vehicle for a problem that only happens a few times a month & that the service department will most likely not be able to duplicate. Guess the glass is half empty today.

About 5,000 miles.

Thanks, Crystal!!

Tony

I understand, Tony. If you do decide to get your dealership involved at some point, let me know and I'll push this up the line to your regional customer service manager. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue on my 2015 sport. Its only occured within the first 3 or 4 minutes of driving. It only occurs every few weeks. It only occurs above about 30% throttle input and its like there is a big mysterious power hole at any throttle setting above that. Its feels as though the traction control is stepping in and killing the power. It has occured only after a turn (and acceleration onto main road). We are not talking about WOT with a cold engine here. Something is wrong.

Back