• Register Today It's free!

Engine hesitation

lazytexan

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I am almost convinced to buy a 2011 Explorer Ltd but one concern I have is the engine response. When I step on the accelerator there is a momentary hesitation before it accelerates. A friend said they bought one and this was bothering them also.

Is this common to all 2011 explorers? I test drove a couple of competitive SUV's and did not experience the same issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhhhh...... No. Mine has plenty of pick up. And it balls to the wall as soon as I step on her. I was impressed by this. It's one of the reasons I bought it. Cheers.

hmmmm... I test drove every SUV/CUV in this range and found the engine response great. I ruled the Acadia out for that reason though. When I brought it on the highway and would accelerate to switch lanes I thought I was going to get creamed.... and I am a careful driver!

Slow response and pick up was the Durango. Very slow.... glad I didn't hop on it too hard. The engine might have caught on fire. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

If you come from driving a vehicle with a powerful engine, there is a small delay. Nothing thats not to be expected with this engine and transmission. I drove a hemi for 7 years and did notice a small delay. It's no more than all the other vehicles in its class.

Characteristic of drive by wire systems

No delay here.. Takes off pretty well for it's power rating. Smooth, quiet and crisp.

No issues here, and this is in comparison with the V8 engine in my prior Eddie Bauer.

Don't forget, these trucks has an intelligent transmission (as most modern vehicles do) system, that learns your driving style and makes adjustments for shift points. And a test drive is not long enough for the system to learn & adjust.

No issues here. Gets up and goes.

Jack

I was going to say that too- if you're coming from a throttle cable vehicle to a drive-by-wire vehicle, there will be a difference, even if it is momentary. They are a lot better than when they came out 2004/5-ish...

I think this is another area where the computer takes some time adjusting to your driving style. Seemed to hesitate a bit in the first three days, but now is crisp and immediate. In fact, I accidently got a bit too deep into the pedal and squealed the tires the other morning.

I almost feel it's too responsive! But I am coming from a car with turbo lag.

It's normal. I have that sometimes and it makes me press the pedal further down before it'll accelerate. It's a fuel efficiency thing. I also noticed that if I consistently accelerate harder, the response of the throttle will be quicker and more responsive like the Explorer learned my driving habits. Now, all I need is a small, slight press on my throttle and it'll accelerate nicely, not too harsh, not mini me soft.

Also, my dealership told me today that the engine automatically brakes to save your brakes and some other reasons. Hold your throttle slightly to prevent engine braking is what he told me.

There is something in the owners manual about the transmission "learning" the shift points over time. Mine has improved significantly over the three weeks since I bought it. Don't let this stop you from considering the EX.

With that type of transmission, what happens when there is more than one driver? Does it have the capability of learning the differnent drivers?

Does it have the capability of learning the differnent drivers?

I would say, "yes" if the second driver drives for several days and many miles. But I know this is not your true question. It's not an instant learning process. Nor "linked" to the second drivers smart key, for example, which would be a cool technical feature.

When I test drove, I specifically test drove for this situation, because my current Buick Enclave has awful lag and needed reprogrammed to improve it a little (I still feel it's dangerously slow at times). I thought the Explorer was MUCH more responsive, and hardly noticed any delay at all.

vfral1 - I'll be able to squeal the tires? I'm kind of liking that.

I am almost convinced to buy a 2011 Explorer Ltd but one concern I have is the engine response. When I step on the accelerator there is a momentary hesitation before it accelerates. A friend said they bought one and this was bothering them also.

Is this common to all 2011 explorers? I test drove a couple of competitive SUV's and did not experience the same issue.

Hey,

I just wanted to reach out and see if you had any further questions after hearing what other Explorer drivers had to say about their own engines? Please feel free to PM me if you have any concerns, I would be more than happy to address them. Thank you. Happy shopping!

~Seni

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I'm not nuts. Yes there is hesitation in the 2011 Explorer, but only when you have the AC running. Dealer said with the accessories on it's to be expected... I did not have any problems with my old 2002 town and country, it took off no matter what... So the limited loaded is a little less than some other up scale cars and trucks, do they have problems? None that i'm aware of. Sounds like I have to to ford and see what they can do..

Back