2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

Similar thing happened to me. Rpms going up and down when gas pedal is not pressed. Or staying on a single rpm without pedal pressed down. Its impossible for me to replicate it bc it happened 4 times since June (when we bought it). I never knew a data logger would be helpful. We never took it in because its spontaneous and usually happened on lower speeds (less than 80km)

If you get the SCT X4 Tuner it doubles as a data logger.....Im logging now because I got a little "Pinging" going on under load at 90-100MPH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just think if your wife was driving and pulled out in front of an eighteen wheeler and this happens. All the money in the world couldn't replace our family members. It's not worth the risk. These issues need resolution of some kind. This is a very serious issue that warrants Fords participation in everyway. No matter the cost.

Just think if your wife was driving and pulled out in front of an eighteen wheeler and this happens. All the money in the world couldn't replace our family members. It's not worth the risk. These issues need resolution of some kind. This is a very serious issue that warrants Fords participation in everyway. No matter the cost.

And imagine Fords side where some customer comes in complaining about a problem that is a unicorn to them. They have driven the car countless miles unable to create the issue reported. They have hooked it up to their computers which show no issues.

You can not seriously expect them to take some person's complaint as meaning that they have to spend countless hours on or even go so far as to replace for somethign they can not see. That is unreasonable for any company. What you are saying is that someone shoudl be able to walk into a dealership complaining about some mysterious bug in their engine that the dealer can nto see and walk out with a new car.

There is a limit to the cost one should expect a dealer to go if they can not find the issue after weeks and miles of driving. It gets to a point where enough is enough without SOMETHING to go on. Otheriwse you are the crazy customer (and not saying you are but playing devils advocate) who reports somethign wrong that no one else can seem to experience or see symptoms of.

There are times where we have to decide what somethign is worth. Sounds like you are at an impasse. You are unwilling to drive and log any issues and the dealership is unable to reproduce your reported issues. I dont put this on Ford or the dealership if they cant find it. I guess you need to decide if youa re willing to take the hit to the wallet and walk away from the truck since you are unwilling to log anything to prove it happens for the dealer.

If you get the SCT X4 Tuner it doubles as a data logger.....Im logging now because I got a little "Pinging" going on under load at 90-100MPH

This. Going to the dealer with not only proof of somethign being amiss but also the data surrounding other things going on proves your case and gives the dealer a wealth of information to get a jump on and fix the issue.

Why would you expect them to replace a vehicle that you say has something wrong with it but they can not reproduce to confirm it happens? Seriously.

Get a data logger or something to show them that an issue has occured. Otherwise they have no idea what is happening or IF anythign is actually happening. I am not discounting you in any way since on this forum we know these things happen but what I do disagree with is your read that they should replace it or anything else. Without an actual problem they can see they cant do anythign about it.

They logged miles and couldnt get it to do it. Get a logger or see if there is a particular thing you can do all the time to make it stumble then take a mechanic on a ride with you.

Yes, seriously!!! Don't tell me we don't know is what I am saying. Keep it until it does do it. It's odvious that others have the same or similar issues with no codes. They have it a month and put a little over 360 miles on it. It is intermittent. First time this happened was around 1800 miles and has done it several times since. Yes, I expect to get what I pay for and this vehicle puts my family at risk. So I do expect answers. This is not a fly by night company.

And imagine Fords side where some customer comes in complaining about a problem that is a unicorn to them. They have driven the car countless miles unable to create the issue reported. They have hooked it up to their computers which show no issues.

You can not seriously expect them to take some person's complaint as meaning that they have to spend countless hours on or even go so far as to replace for somethign they can not see. That is unreasonable for any company. What you are saying is that someone shoudl be able to walk into a dealership complaining about some mysterious bug in their engine that the dealer can nto see and walk out with a new car.

There is a limit to the cost one should expect a dealer to go if they can not find the issue after weeks and miles of driving. It gets to a point where enough is enough without SOMETHING to go on. Otheriwse you are the crazy customer (and not saying you are but playing devils advocate) who reports somethign wrong that no one else can seem to experience or see symptoms of.

There are times where we have to decide what somethign is worth. Sounds like you are at an impasse. You are unwilling to drive and log any issues and the dealership is unable to reproduce your reported issues. I dont put this on Ford or the dealership if they cant find it. I guess you need to decide if youa re willing to take the hit to the wallet and walk away from the truck since you are unwilling to log anything to prove it happens for the dealer.[/QUOT

I have bought 5 new Fords in three years. I'm not a complainer. This is not something that I made up so they can keep my vehicle while I pay for it. Do you work for Ford? I see the lawsuits out on similar issues. Its not up to me to find the issue for them.

Can the service department not data log? I buy new vehicles to keep from having to worry with stuff like this.

Can the service department not data log? I buy new vehicles to keep from having to worry with stuff like this.

They can..

I THINK it maybe the throttle body going bad. I read a thread on here that something similar happened in that thread but I can't find it.

Yes, seriously!!! Don't tell me we don't know is what I am saying. Keep it until it does do it. It's odvious that others have the same or similar issues with no codes. They have it a month and put a little over 360 miles on it. It is intermittent. First time this happened was around 1800 miles and has done it several times since. Yes, I expect to get what I pay for and this vehicle puts my family at risk. So I do expect answers. This is not a fly by night company.

First till they find an issue this is coming out of the dealer's wallet and not the company. And YES there is a limit to how much work you expect someone to do till they either find an issue or say bring it back when it is doing it again.

If they have looked it over, hooked it up to a computer, driven it, ect and cant see anything you expect them to keep it for months/years for it to happen again? That is unreasonable. There is no way for a dealer to know what is legit. They did their due diligence to look it over and found nothing.

This is a good catch and fits the description along with the clearing of the code. Worthwhile to check into.

And just to be clear GreyGT I am not trying to be an ass in any way. I feel for you man. I get the situation but playing devils advocate for a dealer who knows of nothing going on.

I had a SVT Focus in which the computer went bad on me and started to intermittently fire the traction control. I rarely noticed save for the icon to flash but it didnt affect the drive. dealer couldnt find anythign wrong in the system. I had a camera that I would tape my driving and logged the computer till it did it a few times. Then the dealer was able to use my evidence to drill down and find the issue.

First till they find an issue this is coming out of the dealer's wallet and not the company. And YES there is a limit to how much work you expect someone to do till they either find an issue or say bring it back when it is doing it again.

If they have looked it over, hooked it up to a computer, driven it, ect and cant see anything you expect them to keep it for months/years for it to happen again? That is unreasonable. There is no way for a dealer to know what is legit. They did their due diligence to look it over and found nothing.

I didn't come on here to argue with you. I came here for help to see if anyone might have an answer to this issue. So if you don not have any relevant input the please post elsewhere.

They can..

I THINK it maybe the throttle body going bad. I read a thread on here that something similar happened in that thread but I can't find it.[/QUOT

Thank you. That was my input the first time I took it to the dealership. My wife's friend is having the same issue with her limited.

I didn't come on here to argue with you. I came here for help to see if anyone might have an answer to this issue. So if you don not have any relevant input the please post elsewhere.

guess you missed the numerous instances where I said log it in some manner to give insight to the support team at the dealership....

Even the issue in the link was not diagnosed without the tech seeing it happen live.

As a regular consumer of new cars, I can say that I feel the pain of not having the dealership step up to a problem they can't reproduce. It sucks, but unfortunately it's the nature of car consumerism.

eBay sells some really cheap Bluetooth OBD devices that you can use to pair with your Android phone using the Torque app. It does scanning and logging. Not sure if it's available for the iPhone or not.

Also, have you tried involving Ford Corporate? Not sure of the official name. Sometimes they can help if the dealership doesn't step up.

Tony

Would the vehicle health report show an issue?

It has been known to show certain problems but I'm afraid I can't tell you what it is set up to show since it isn't available in Canada. You can always try it and see.

Peter

Throttle body is ordered. It will be here and put on tomorrow. I will drive it myself for a couple weeks to see if the issue is fixed.

Throttle body is ordered. It will be here and put on tomorrow. I will drive it myself for a couple weeks to see if the issue is fixed.

Please make sure to let use know if this does the trick....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back