2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

Our Sport has been at the dealer for 3 days now. They can't get it to do anything wrong or find any issues in it's memory, or what ever they check. Funny thing is it does it every time I or my wife drives it. Does it when we pull away from our driveway, does it when she leaves work, does it at a steady highway pace (60-70). Seems to do it under load (going up a grade).

Love the Sport but if this can't be fixed it sure will tarnish the Ford purchases in the future.

Don't understand why they can't get it to do it! frustrated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you taken them for a 'test' drive yourself? That would seem to be the next thing to insist on.

Peter

Service Mgr is going to give it another try Monday. Parts to repair our windshield wiper issue will be in hopefully on Monday. If I need to take him for a test ride I will!!!

I'm in Arizona (Gilbert) also, no problems with my '15 Sport, 1100 miles now. Excellent power and averaging 21.4 MPG.

Service Mgr is going to give it another try Monday. Parts to repair our windshield wiper issue will be in hopefully on Monday. If I need to take him for a test ride I will!!!

This is a great next step, kruisin. Additionally, I'd be happy to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

This is a great next step, kruisin. Additionally, I'd be happy to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Crystal,
If my dealer doesn't get it fixed I'll get in touch. We've been so please with our dealer from purchase and earlier service, really hoping they will come through on this issue.

Talked with them at 2:00pm. no answers yet on the stumble. Part came in for wiper issue. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you.

Crystal,
If my dealer doesn't get it fixed I'll get in touch. We've been so please with our dealer from purchase and earlier service, really hoping they will come through on this issue.

Talked with them at 2:00pm. no answers yet on the stumble. Part came in for wiper issue. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you.

Sounds good, kruisin. I'll be here if you need my help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Dealer called 8/21 (over a week of having the vehicle) that it was ready to pick up. I asked about the stumble. Reply: We could not find anything with the computer. They said they called Ford, no issues reported. Don't worry you still have 3yrs 36k miles.

Guess if the computer doesn't register it, it must be OK, and best of all, we have to put up with it until our warranty runs out??? (we bought the extended plan out to 72months!).

Wife picked it up 8/22, I've been out of town and haven't had time to deal with it. I will talk with the service manager and if I feel they are going to continue to find a fix great, if not I'll get Crystal involved.

Was just thinking of a similar situation, I've ridden Harleys for many years. Big money for a product, have an issue they can't figure out or want to deal with and they tell you "they all do it" or "it's normal". Guess what HD, A New Indian is getting parked in my garage this week! Just saying Ford

Hi, I was just wondering if you had any new information about your problem? I have a 2014 Sport also, with 4500 miles and I have not noticed this issue yet, but I have experienced a couple of others.

After sitting stuck in traffic for about 15 minutes the other day, I finally got to my turn and when I punched it, the explorer seemed to have no power, almost like it was in limp mode, for about 10 seconds. Then the engine came back to life and the vehicle continued driving normally. Something weird definitely happened.

I am having this exact same issue but I have to let off the accelerator slightly and the it will go. I do not have much confidence in our local dealerships service department. The gentleman I talked to said we need to reflash the computer and clean the mass air meter. The reflash is for rough idle which is not the issue with my exploerer. Should I take it? I suppose to have it there at 8 in the morning. :(

Crystal,

Do you have any info on this issue? This happened to my wife the other day while trying to pass a car. This is a very serious issue.

Crystal would not have any info on this issue. The Ford reps are here to help get owner's issues to their Regional Customer Service Managers who then may interface with the dealer. The Reps do not have contact with Ford or dealer technicians. The only thing you can do is forward the info she requires via a PM so that she can start 'the ball rolling'.

Peter

AZMom, you asked if I experienced the stumble that others had described, well I experienced a lag on Saturday after some hard driving getting my wife to the PV ER (she is ok :) ), but it really was the vehicle pausing for a split second searching for a gear, not the same stumble/loss of power others experienced. Only experienced that one time and it was not humid out, before the heavy rains on Monday. I am hoping it was because the vehicle was still in ECM learning mode from disconnecting the battery a few days earlier installing HIDs.

Best,
DRJ

Thanks for the update. Mine was parked while dealing with a seperate issue. I'm looking forward to driving it again. My hubby's Ecoboost on truck doesn't hesitate from what I could tell.

Can you post if/when it does it again?

I wouldn't think that was normal. Haven't experienced that with mine.

Peter

Paddle shifters can be used while in 'D'. From the Owner's Guide;

Paddle Shifters (If Equipped)
The paddle shifters allow you to shift gears quickly, without taking your
hands off the steering wheel. Temporary manual control is provided
when pulling the paddles with the gearshift in the D (Drive) position.
The system will determine when temporary manual control is no longer
desired and reverts back to automatic control. Extensive manual control
can be achieved by moving the shifter to the M (Manual) position. The
system will stay in manual control until the shifter is moved out of the
manual position.

Peter

Mine is lagging again. I press the gas after a few seconds it jumps and then pulls and sometimes bucks. Is this normal??? I'm at 7000 km.

Ugh. This sucks..Another thing, I was using the pedal shifters without putting the gear on "M" because my husband said I didn't have to. The RPMs starting growling and going NUTS (up and down) when I used them and while stopping. Can you believe that? My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Maybe the ECU needs to be recalibrated. Is there anything we can do to "reset" it? I'm ready to mod this thing with LMS soon.

I suggest scheduling an appointment with your local dealer for diagnosis, bmmz. Then, please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, best daytime contact number, and servicing dealer information so I can get this escalated.

Brittany

Well, I went to the dealership today and was basically told that there is nothing they can do. So I am stuck with an Explorer that is useless to me. Tomorrow will be a whole month that they have had it. They have put 370 miles on it and cant get it to reproduce what its doing. I can't put my wife in something that has stalling issues. This vehicle is very unsafe. I have bought 5 new Fords in the last years and have had issues with 3 of the 5. Does anyone have any info or figured out what is wrong with these things? I am so damn mad with Ford. The warranty is useless if they won't fix anything.

Well, I went to the dealership today and was basically told that there is nothing they can do. So I am stuck with an Explorer that is useless to me. Tomorrow will be a whole month that they have had it. They have put 370 miles on it and cant get it to reproduce what its doing. I can't put my wife in something that has stalling issues. This vehicle is very unsafe. I have bought 5 new Fords in the last years and have had issues with 3 of the 5. Does anyone have any info or figured out what is wrong with these things? I am so damn mad with Ford. The warranty is useless if they won't fix anything.

I understand your frustration but what do you expect them to do if they can't duplicate it? They are not going to throw parts at it hoping that a random part fixes your issue.

I understand your frustration but what do you expect them to do if they can't duplicate it? They are not going to throw parts at it hoping that a random part fixes your issue.

If they cannot figure out what is going on with it, I expect them to replace it. I cannot and will not allow my family to be in something that could harm them waiting on Ford to find out a fix. I have had three Explorers. A 2013 Limited, and two sports. This is the only one that I have had stalling issues with. So that being the case, there is something going on with this sport. The last time it did it was on a 50 mile drive. I pulled on the highway and floored it. The rpms jumped up to about 3k and stayed there in 1st gear. I held it just to see if it would throw a code. after about 10 seconds, it started skipping and the check engine light started flashing. The vehicle would only run about 45 mph. I drove it about 4 more miles to my house like this. I pulled in the driveway and as soon as it went back to 1st gear it stopped skipping and the check engine light went out. I floored it a couple times.....no skipping, nothing. As if nothing ever happened. I thought surely it has thrown a code now. Took it back to the dealership, no codes. The explanation I got was we think it was flooding to the point that the plugs were fouled. Ok, flooding and no misfire codes or rich conditions. This is the second time I have taken it back and today makes 1 month that its been there. I expect more than, I don't know. Come get your vehicle. I want answers. I want what I paid for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they cannot figure out what is going on with it, I expect them to replace it. I cannot and will not allow my family to be in something that could harm them waiting on Ford to find out a fix. I have had three Explorers. A 2013 Limited, and two sports. This is the only one that I have had stalling issues with. So that being the case, there is something going on with this sport. The last time it did it was on a 50 mile drive. I pulled on the highway and floored it. The rpms jumped up to about 3k and stayed there in 1st gear. I held it just to see if it would throw a code. after about 10 seconds, it started skipping and the check engine light started flashing. The vehicle would only run about 45 mph. I drove it about 4 more miles to my house like this. I pulled in the driveway and as soon as it went back to 1st gear it stopped skipping and the check engine light went out. I floored it a couple times.....no skipping, nothing. As if nothing ever happened. I thought surely it has thrown a code now. Took it back to the dealership, no codes. The explanation I got was we think it was flooding to the point that the plugs were fouled. Ok, flooding and no misfire codes or rich conditions. This is the second time I have taken it back and today makes 1 month that its been there. I expect more than, I don't know. Come get your vehicle. I want answers. I want what I paid for.

Why would you expect them to replace a vehicle that you say has something wrong with it but they can not reproduce to confirm it happens? Seriously.

Get a data logger or something to show them that an issue has occured. Otherwise they have no idea what is happening or IF anythign is actually happening. I am not discounting you in any way since on this forum we know these things happen but what I do disagree with is your read that they should replace it or anything else. Without an actual problem they can see they cant do anythign about it.

They logged miles and couldnt get it to do it. Get a logger or see if there is a particular thing you can do all the time to make it stumble then take a mechanic on a ride with you.

Back