2016 Explorer Remote Start - HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Remote Start - HELP

Sutton11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
I recently purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer. It did not come with the remote start but as the parent of a 5 year old it is a feature I wanted. I like to be able to start my car before we get in it in the morning in the winter and it be warm. I want to be able to start it cooling before we get in it in the 100+ degrees temperatures we have in the summer. So we called the service department and explained what we wanted, they ordered the part, they called saying they received the part. We dropped our car off at 7:30 on a Monday morning... 8 days later we get the call that our car is ready. 8 days later... 8 days of rental cars because they are clueless and ordered the wrong part twice. We go to the dealership, pay $500 for our remote start and leave with no instructions from the service department. So we pull into a nearby service station to check out the addition to our car. And it works, yes it starts the car, BUT THAT IS ALL THAT IT DOES. It does not matter what setting we have the AC/heat on, those are not activated by the remote start. So we take the car back to the dealership and ask. The service manager has no clue, the technicians have no clue, no one there seems to understand why the remote start would not start the AC/heater from the most recently used setting. They determine that the remote start will only turn on the engine to warm up the engine so that it is warm when I get it. (I don't care that the engine is warm, I want the freaking interior of the car to be warm/cool.) It will not resume previous temperature control settings. Does anybody have a clue as to why this is? We specifically ordered the remote start for this reason, we made sure to tell the service department why we wanted the remote start installed. The service department has declared that since it did not come with the remote start from the factory that our car doesn't have the option for the remote start to resume the AC/heater settings. Why would the Ford service department sell us a $500 Ford factory kit that does not do what we specifically requested it do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the remote start on my 2015 Sport from the factory. It uses the outside temp to determine if the vehicle needs to be warmed or cooled. It will not used your last settings for the A/C system you set.

When its cold out, mine starts the heater and activates the steering wheel heater also.

I can see it taking 8 days depending on how busy the shop is.

I recently purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer. It did not come with the remote start but as the parent of a 5 year old it is a feature I wanted. I like to be able to start my car before we get in it in the morning in the winter and it be warm. I want to be able to start it cooling before we get in it in the 100+ degrees temperatures we have in the summer. So we called the service department and explained what we wanted, they ordered the part, they called saying they received the part. We dropped our car off at 7:30 on a Monday morning... 8 days later we get the call that our car is ready. 8 days later... 8 days of rental cars because they are clueless and ordered the wrong part twice. We go to the dealership, pay $500 for our remote start and leave with no instructions from the service department. So we pull into a nearby service station to check out the addition to our car. And it works, yes it starts the car, BUT THAT IS ALL THAT IT DOES. It does not matter what setting we have the AC/heat on, those are not activated by the remote start. So we take the car back to the dealership and ask. The service manager has no clue, the technicians have no clue, no one there seems to understand why the remote start would not start the AC/heater from the most recently used setting. They determine that the remote start will only turn on the engine to warm up the engine so that it is warm when I get it. (I don't care that the engine is warm, I want the freaking interior of the car to be warm/cool.) It will not resume previous temperature control settings. Does anybody have a clue as to why this is? We specifically ordered the remote start for this reason, we made sure to tell the service department why we wanted the remote start installed. The service department has declared that since it did not come with the remote start from the factory that our car doesn't have the option for the remote start to resume the AC/heater settings. Why would the Ford service department sell us a $500 Ford factory kit that does not do what we specifically requested it do?

Ford doesn't list a remote start on their accessories page yet for the 2016 but I'm sure it is the same as the 11-15 since the electronics inside are the essentially the same.

Both units the website list are "plug n play" meaning no wire splicing... all wire harnesses are existing on the vehicle and the modules just need to be plugged in.

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2015/electronics/remote-start.html

I'm not sure which one you purchased but I listed the options below. Sounds like this is a dealer screw up as they both should set the temperature to 72 degrees.

Remote Start System - Long Range Plug-N-Play

Part No: CL3Z-19G364-B
SRP: $355.71
Get local pricing
Beat the heat and conquer the cold. This system allows you to remotely prestart your vehicle from up to 1,000 feet away for ideal, dialed-in comfort before you enter.

Automatically activates heated/cooled seats and sets the heater or air conditioner to 72 degrees on the dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, if equipped
System is fully integrated with the vehicle’s driver information center, allowing you to control the run time, rear-window defrost and much more
Includes two key fobs with Car Find and Panic Functions
Dealer installation recommended – requires Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) tool
NOTE: Available only for vehicles with an automatic transmission and power door locks.
The Remote Start Hood Switch Kit (from Ford Custom Accessories) is required if your vehicle is not equipped with a factory-installed hood switch.
- See more at: http://accessories.ford.com/electro...emote-starter-10143.html#sthash.qSl800e2.dpuf

Remote Start System - 100 Series Plug-N-Play

Part No: DA8Z-19G364-A
SRP: $298.57
Get local pricing
This simple-to-use Remote allows you to safely start your vehicle from up to 300 feet away – securely dialing in your interior temperature just the way you like it before you enter.

Features Remote Keyless Entry, Car Find and Panic functions
Automatically activates heated/cooled seats and sets the heater or air conditioner to 72 degrees on the dual-zone automatic temperature control (if equipped)
Includes one Key fob
Dealer installation recommended; no splicing necessary
- See more at: http://accessories.ford.com/electro...emote-starter-10493.html#sthash.Ggls07zD.dpuf

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
It would be very helpful if you added the 'trim' level of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin.
There is a very helpful thread in the 'Sticky' section; https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418625
Unfortunately it applies to 2011 - 2015 models but it will give you an idea regarding adding remote start. Not knowing the trim level of your vehicle it may or may not already have had the base remote start feature from the factory. For the 2011 - 2015 XLT models and above it just required activation by the dealer. This is from the 1st post in that thread; "First and foremost, regardless of what any dealer says ALL 2011-2015 Ford Explorers are factory equipped with the "base" remote start system. Its just a question of whether or not it is enabled." Not sure about the 2016s

Have you checked your manual as to how to set up the heating/cooling etc with remote start? It is in the left hand screen depending again upon which trim level you have. Also, the dealer should have activated these functions if I read one of the posts in the referenced thread correctly.

Peter

I made this thread a while back:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437644

The 16 is not the same as the 11-15. I haven't added a remote start to an actual 16 Explorer yet but I have done several on the 16 PI Utility. The climate settings are locked out and it only supports AUTO climate. If the settings are blanked out then it should AUTO set the climate. Otherwise if they are active then you should be able to select manual or auto. PLEASE NOTE THE DASH LIGHTS ARE INOPERATIVE DURING REMOTE START. Just because the lights don't come on doesn't mean it isn't working.

BTW It takes me an hour to install and activate.

I don't mean to sound so mean but it's going to come out that way.

if remote start was such an important feature for you why did you not buy one with the feature already from the factory?

meanwhile other than the parts previously mentioned working on a 12-15 model or whatever I'd be curious as to what other software features and activities are also missing or inaccessible What you are asking is a bit out of the scope of most dealer service departments, so I can see some of theme screwing it up. you might want to try a different dealer.

Back