How to: - PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport | Page 12 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Revolver

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 55K
Great post here. I am trying to figure this out on my 2011 4WD explorer. Can someone confirm I've got the right spot? It looks a little different than some of the other pics and I can't seem to locate the vent hose from the top. Is the threaded screw with red thread lock the fill plug for the PTU?

PTU-1.jpg

mguy13sport

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
The vent hose is up top you really can't see it underneath. Its short with a black vent cap on top.

That is your fill plug but I don't see the drain plug in that pic

Revolver

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
The vent hose is up top you really can't see it underneath. Its short with a black vent cap on top.

That is your fill plug but I don't see the drain plug in that pic
I'm thinking there is no drain plug on this 2011. :(

I can't even see the vent hose/cap from the top engine compartment but I'll look again.

Revolver

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
I was just thinking about this PTU situation on my 2011 4WD. Since it's not AWD do the gears still spin all the time or is it only when I engage the traction control knob?

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I'm thinking there is no drain plug on this 2011. :(

I can't even see the vent hose/cap from the top engine compartment but I'll look again.

Yours likely does not have a drain plug.
For the vent cap, if I remember right, it's a bit difficult to see. You have to be looking at just the right angle.

I was just thinking about this PTU situation on my 2011 4WD. Since it's not AWD do the gears still spin all the time or is it only when I engage the traction control knob?

Yes, they spin all the time.
The AWD is engaged by the rear differential.

jpz

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Great post here. I am trying to figure this out on my 2011 4WD explorer. Can someone confirm I've got the right spot? It looks a little different than some of the other pics and I can't seem to locate the vent hose from the top. Is the threaded screw with red thread lock the fill plug for the PTU?

View attachment 435578
Years ago I had a Ford Freestyle that had a PTU with no drain plug.

I drilled and tapped a hole in the same blank boss you can see next to the left side hex bolt in your pic.

It was surprisingly easy, because the thick oil draining out helped the tap cut threads and pushed any chips out as it drained. My hands were a bit messy during the process however.

It certainly made changing the fluid much easier after that.

Not sure if you are willing to go down that path or not, but wanted to throw it out there as an option.

Revolver

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yours likely does not have a drain plug.
For the vent cap, if I remember right, it's a bit difficult to see. You have to be looking at just the right angle.

Yes, they spin all the time.

Years ago I had a Ford Freestyle that had a PTU with no drain plug.

I drilled and tapped a hole in the same blank boss you can see next to the left side hex bolt in your pic.

It was surprisingly easy, because the thick oil draining out helped the tap cut threads and pushed any chips out as it drained. My hands were a bit messy during the process however.

It certainly made changing the fluid much easier after that.

Not sure if you are willing to go down that path or not, but wanted to throw it out there as an option.
Thanks but I think that's a little bit above my pay grade. :)

BTW, I just stopped by the stealership on my way home. I asked if they could change the oil in the PTU but they absolutely refused. They told me "We replace them but we don't service them". Ha! I'll look elsewhere.

MattMPA

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
In my former SHO, I had no drain plug for the PTU. I used a air powered brake bleeder called a "Vacula" with a thin piece of hose/line to draw the fluid out of the fill hole. Then, filled with a bottle top plunger type pump to fill.
In my utility, which has a drain plug, I drain into a container to measure what comes out. I put the same amount back in via an extended vent hose.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Your Explorer is actually AWD not 4WD. It has been mentioned here many times.

Peter

Revolver

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Your Explorer is actually AWD not 4WD. It has been mentioned here many times.

Peter
I know what you mean. I did ask the dealer the other day and they told me it was listed as 4WD. Either way, it's time to change that PTU oil.

ford2017FPIU

Reaction score
City, State
irvine ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPI Utility
It took me 5 hours to do the work. At least 2 were spent trying to reach the tube on the top, add an extender, and get the top filter off. I couldn't get the new tube onto the old tube with the metal top until I went under and reached up. I lost the filter/vent cap in the engine somewhere.

There's no way to reach it. I had to lay across the engine and use a step stool. I think if you could remove that plastic cover below the windshield wipers it would be more reachable.

But now it should be easy for me to refill the next time.

Genuine Ford Valve Assembly Vent DB5Z-7034-C

MattMPA

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
It took me 5 hours to do the work. At least 2 were spent trying to reach the tube on the top, add an extender, and get the top filter off. I couldn't get the new tube onto the old tube with the metal top until I went under and reached up. I lost the filter/vent cap in the engine somewhere.

There's no way to reach it. I had to lay across the engine and use a step stool. I think if you could remove that plastic cover below the windshield wipers it would be more reachable.

But now it should be easy for me to refill the next time.

Genuine Ford Valve Assembly Vent DB5Z-7034-C
The tube is easily accessed from underneath. I did mine a year os so ago, but am thinking that I may re-do my extension. I used a double ended barb fitting to add the extra length, and I'm wondering if that my impede the flow upon refilling. Thinking a straight piece of hose would be a better flow.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

ford2017FPIU

Reaction score