• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer Alternator

Explorer2018Turbo

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I recently had to replace my alternator on my 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5L Ecoboost. The alternator was was overcharging and when the vehicle was turned off it was drawing from the battery causing it to go dead all the time. I just wanted to share with everyone that I had to remove the air intake, some turbo piping, the radiator fans, and the antifreeze reservoir just to get the alternator out which took about 7 hours for me to replace. I know of an ecoboost fusion that did the same thing. I wonder if ford has purchased a bunch of bad voltage regulators? Anyway it was doable just a pain! Also I drive a lot and it was out of warranty at 60,000 miles and no other issues until this.

Hi, not 100% in sync with your topic, but rather put it here then open a new thread.
I got alternator issue too with my 2016 sport 3.5L EcoBoost.

I had noise coming from under the hood, something like a bearing end of life...
They changed the alternator.

Here some fun fact:
Took a week to get it done, but not all dealer fault-ish!

Monday: they change a tensioner, but that did not made it,
Tuesday: They pointed out the alternator but did not manage to get the part, They proposed a rental: took a nice F150
Wednesday: Did not manage to get it done
Thursday: to access the alternator, the touched the AC tubing, did not manage to get it back "in time"
Friday: a tornado hit the town, shop lost power...
Weekend: still no power/closed (Worrying on what damage the dealer had!)
Monday: all good no damage to my car, nor loaner!

When I got the rental, courtesy of the dealer, the rep proposed a 20$ insurance, which I decline stating it would only be for 24H (How much damage can I do in 24h)!!!
I was feeling so nervous/stupid that I did not took the insurance when I was driving in the torrential rain on Friday. Was barely seeing 100foot in front of me!!!

But back to your topic, how much mileage out of warranty!?!?

I only had the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and currently have 60,000 miles on it. Mine wasn’t making any noises just all of the sudden it was going dead and eating batteries. Found out the alternator had a bad Voltage regulator which let the alternator overcharge (burns batteries up) the battery as well as when the vehicle was off it would pull a charge from the battery causing it to go dead. I know of an ecoboost fusion doing the same thing. Replaced the alternator and no problems now. Also the alternator that was factory was a 210amp I put a 220amp in it bought from my local ford dealership.

Back