2017 Explorer D.I.Y. Remote Start.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer D.I.Y. Remote Start..

WilliamNC

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
Hello all...So my wife and I just bought a new 2017 Ford Explorer XLT..with I believe the 200A equipment package,so a remote start was not included..
I ordered 2 parts from the Ford dealership;
Part no.FT4Z-19A361-A
(Electronic Module)
Part no.EL3Z-19G364-B
(Kit-Remote)

Well now I have an installation scheduled at the dealership for Jan4..and I sure would like to save a few hundred dollars and install the system myself...

Here is what i know...

This is a plug-n-play kit
The system will also require a hood switch..which i would just assume bypass..or have bypassed..

Here is what im not so sure about..

Because of the keyless entry/keyless ignition...the computer may have to be reprogrammed to allow the engine to start
without a fob inside of the vehicle..

Soooo....does anyone know if i can install the parts myself and just have the dealership do the programming for me..and could i do the programming?..is it even necessary?..I thank anyone with some knowlageable feedback on this issue..Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all...So my wife and I just bought a new 2017 Ford Explorer XLT..with I believe the 200A equipment package,so a remote start was not included..
I ordered 2 parts from the Ford dealership;
Part no.FT4Z-19A361-A
(Electronic Module)
Part no.EL3Z-19G364-B
(Kit-Remote)

Well now I have an installation scheduled at the dealership for Jan4..and I sure would like to save a few hundred dollars and install the system myself...

Here is what i know...

This is a plug-n-play kit
The system will also require a hood switch..which i would just assume bypass..or have bypassed..

Here is what im not so sure about..

Because of the keyless entry/keyless ignition...the computer may have to be reprogrammed to allow the engine to start
without a fob inside of the vehicle..

Soooo....does anyone know if i can install the parts myself and just have the dealership do the programming for me..and could i do the programming?..is it even necessary?..I thank anyone with some knowlageable feedback on this issue..Thanks!

Yes you can install yourself, I have done the full VSS and RMU kit myself, so have many others.

The only difference is because your vehicle doesn't have factory initialized remote start your dealer must use their IDS tool and go into BCM and turn that feature on.

There are several really good threads here for this install with pictures, just use search feature.

Yes you can install yourself, I have done the full VSS and RMU kit myself, so have many others.

The only difference is because your vehicle doesn't have factory initialized remote start your dealer must use their IDS tool and go into BCM and turn that feature on.

There are several really good threads here for this install with pictures, just use search feature.

Well thank you for your reply..but i have not just searched this website..whose search engine is powered by google...but i have searched google before i signed up here..and nowhere have i seen any info regarding the 2017 install...now after seeing your response i immediatly searched "remote start install 2017 explorer"....the exact same results appeard when i searched "remote start install 2016 explorer".. now granted it said there were a bit over 3,000 threads...i only looked at the first 10 maybe...if you have a link that would be very cool...or maybe am i just to assume that the 2017 plug n play is the exact same as 2016...because i do know that 2016 is completely different then 2015 and previous year models...ya...i do not see A SINGLE refrence to a 2017 install...like anywhere...thats why i posted this...thank ya much though

Well thank you for your reply..but i have not just searched this website..whose search engine is powered by google...but i have searched google before i signed up here..and nowhere have i seen any info regarding the 2017 install...now after seeing your response i immediatly searched "remote start install 2017 explorer"....the exact same results appeard when i searched "remote start install 2016 explorer".. now granted it said there were a bit over 3,000 threads...i only looked at the first 10 maybe...if you have a link that would be very cool...or maybe am i just to assume that the 2017 plug n play is the exact same as 2016...because i do know that 2016 is completely different then 2015 and previous year models...ya...i do not see A SINGLE refrence to a 2017 install...like anywhere...thats why i posted this...thank ya much though
As requested, please add the trim level of the Ex to your profile. Thanks.

PM me with an email I will send you the 2017 Installation Guide from Ford

As requested, please add the trim level of the Ex to your profile. Thanks.

Sorry about that..You were right about me omitting information about my vehicle on profile page....I only had entered "2017 Ford Explorer"...after reading your reply..i went and looked..it does ask for year...MAKE and model...so I added that i have an Explorer made by Ford...and even though it does not ask for the trim...I added that my vehicle is an XLT....like i wrote in my original post....thanks for catching my error..

Thank you very much Sgt1411..I just today recieved the 33 pages from Ford with the heading :
2017 Explorer. Vehicle Security/Remote Start/Remote Access

I really do apreciate your offer to help...:thumbsup:

I plan on intalling the system this coming Sunday...now if you have a Rotunda and the IDS software for the programming portion.....then I would be on Easy Street....i dont expect hiccups nor failure..but just for closure...ill post when the remote works ;)

Sorry about that..You were right about me omitting information about my vehicle on profile page....I only had entered "2017 Ford Explorer"...after reading your reply..i went and looked..it does ask for year...MAKE and model...so I added that i have an Explorer made by Ford...and even though it does not ask for the trim...I added that my vehicle is an XLT....like i wrote in my original post....thanks for catching my error..
If you look at the Terms and Rules you will see that it states. "Since there are so many configurations of the Explorer, it makes it hard to be able to answer questions when the year and model aren't mentioned." When it says "so many configurations of the Explorer" I take that to mean Base, XLT, Limited, Sport or Platinum. Each has its own configuration and if that trim isn't shown in the profile which puts it in the margin, then members won't know which one you are referring to as some trims may have unique issues and features. I'll ask the Admin to see if he can clarify the terminology.
Just check out the other posts and you will see that the majority show that information and the members don't have to mention which they have every time they post.

Peter

Thank you very much Sgt1411..I just today recieved the 33 pages from Ford with the heading :
2017 Explorer. Vehicle Security/Remote Start/Remote Access

I really do apreciate your offer to help...:thumbsup:

I plan on intalling the system this coming Sunday...now if you have a Rotunda and the IDS software for the programming portion.....then I would be on Easy Street....i dont expect hiccups nor failure..but just for closure...ill post when the remote works ;)
You MAY be able to do the activation yourself with Forscan. Check out his link:

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/

Problem solved. When filling out your profile you will now be asked to add the "trim level". Thanks to the site Admin.

Peter

I love it when people just put 20?? Ford Explorer.......as opposed to what, the GMC or Nissan Explorer?

WilliamNC , how did you ever make out with this?

If you look at the instructions for installing FT4Z-19A361-A and DL3Z-15603-C in a 2016 and 2017 Explorer, the instructions show that the IDS programming is only needed for key start vehicles, that the IDS steps are to be skipped over for push start IAK vehicles.

Any one have the guide for the new gen? I bought a 2020 xlt with no remote start fob key, but I can emote start from my phone. I am not trying to pay 500$ for installation.

Any one have the guide for the new gen? I bought a 2020 xlt with no remote start fob key, but I can emote start from my phone. I am not trying to pay 500$ for installation.
Have you read the thread on adding remote start in the 6th gen. Forum?

Peter

Go to the top of this page and click on "Search". Then select "Advanced search". On the next page select "Search threads" and in the keywords ae area type in "adding remote start". Then scroll down to "search in forums" and chose 2020+ Explorer - 6th Generation - Lincoln Aviator and then scroll down and select "Display results in threads" and click "search".

Peter

Go to the top of this page and click on "Search". Then select "Advanced search". On the next page select "Search threads" and in the keywords ae area type in "adding remote start". Then scroll down to "search in forums" and chose 2020+ Explorer - 6th Generation - Lincoln Aviator and then scroll down and select "Display results in threads" and click "search".

Peter
Located, thanks!

The 'Search' feature is a handy tool. Not sure if that thread will help much though.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back