• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer transmission issue

edwarddgalindo

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 forf explorer
I have a 2017 explorer xlt with 60,800 miles, was about a block away from home when the wrench light came on. Got it home no noticeable issues just light. Next morning a puddle of trans fluid was under the car. Towed it to my mechanic they informed me that there was 4 codes that came up on the transmission of over heating. So ford has a 60,000 mile transmission factory warranty. So my mechanic said I should contact ford about this which I did. Unfortunately after giving ford the codes that came up on the comp and mileage. They said that I continued to drive the vehicle after the light came on which caused the damage to the transmission. I told them it was 1 block and I didn't feel anything from the vehicle. Well ford denied giving any help on repairs or replacement because of codes and mileage. So the transmission granaded at 60,800 miles and had to purchase a new one from jasper and install for 6k. Has anyone else had this same issue with ford transmissions? Think a transmission should last longer then 60k.

I have a 2017 explorer xlt with 60,800 miles, was about a block away from home when the wrench light came on. Got it home no noticeable issues just light. Next morning a puddle of trans fluid was under the car. Towed it to my mechanic they informed me that there was 4 codes that came up on the transmission of over heating. So ford has a 60,000 mile transmission factory warranty. So my mechanic said I should contact ford about this which I did. Unfortunately after giving ford the codes that came up on the comp and mileage. They said that I continued to drive the vehicle after the light came on which caused the damage to the transmission. I told them it was 1 block and I didn't feel anything from the vehicle. Well ford denied giving any help on repairs or replacement because of codes and mileage. So the transmission granaded at 60,800 miles and had to purchase a new one from jasper and install for 6k. Has anyone else had this same issue with ford transmissions? Think a transmission should last longer then 60k.
these trans seem to be quite durable from what i see, though im not a regular in this section. had the fluid been changed before? sometimes its just luck, can have a good trans but there will always be some that fail. i agree a trans should last more than 60k, but yours may have been just luck, since they seem decent.

these trans seem to be quite durable from what i see, though im not a regular in this section. had the fluid been changed before? sometimes its just luck, can have a good trans but there will always be some that fail. i agree a trans should last more than 60k, but yours may have been just luck, since they seem decent.
Yes, I changed the fluid at 30k. I was more surprised that ford wanted nothing to do with it or me.

Our Edge has the same drive train as an Explorer. We went back and forth with a Ford dealership for two years and 40k miles of driving. We switched to a different dealership and they lobbied the extended warranty company to cover replacement of the electronics in the transmission. Now 30k miles later is has been running like new. The bill for the repair was around $4k minus a $100 deductible. The first dealer just kept reprogramming the transmission. I bet we paid 7-8 deductible fees with them. Other than this the vehicle has been very reliable.

Back