• Register Today It's free!

2017 police interceptor utility

heatherlm

Reaction score
City, State
Longview tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 police utility, turb
Hey everyone. I have a 2017 police interceptor utility and I'm trying to install a subwoofer, Blaupunkt flat subwoofer that is compact under the seat. I finally got the power wire ran thru the grommet at the fire wall and ran all the wiring under the carpet but my question is, I have no rca at the head and I have the option to tap into the rear speakers but what part does the existing amp play in the grand scheme. I have fuses on the power line and the actual subwoofer, is thar all I need or do I have to get the line convertor. Pretty newb to the process, but I can follow instructions I've already replaced the front speakers with after market alpine and they sound pretty good, just not near loud enough. I'm hoping the sub helps there. Any tips or found tricks to make the rest of the install goes smoothly? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone. I have a 2017 police interceptor utility and I'm trying to install a subwoofer, Blaupunkt flat subwoofer that is compact under the seat. I finally got the power wire ran thru the grommet at the fire wall and ran all the wiring under the carpet but my question is, I have no rca at the head and I have the option to tap into the rear speakers but what part does the existing amp play in the grand scheme. I have fuses on the power line and the actual subwoofer, is thar all I need or do I have to get the line convertor. Pretty newb to the process, but I can follow instructions I've already replaced the front speakers with after market alpine and they sound pretty good, just not near loud enough. I'm hoping the sub helps there. Any tips or found tricks to make the rest of the install goes smoothly? Thanks in advance!
What model sub? A quick look I assume a GTHS of some sort. If so it appears to have RCA and high level inputs. If you are looking to avoid a line converter to get low inputs (RCA) then it should have came with a wiring pig tail for the high level inputs to tap the speakers. If you go that route I suggest you tap the front speakers and not the rear, the front speakers get a full range signal from the factory head unit. There is a noticeable difference if you tap the rear speakers they do not receive a full range signal and have significant drop off as the volume is increased.

Hope that helps a bit.

What model sub? A quick look I assume a GTHS of some sort. If so it appears to have RCA and high level inputs. If you are looking to avoid a line converter to get low inputs (RCA) then it should have came with a wiring pig tail for the high level inputs to tap the speakers. If you go that route I suggest you tap the front speakers and not the rear, the front speakers get a full range signal from the factory head unit. There is a noticeable difference if you tap the rear speakers they do not receive a full range signal and have significant drop off as the volume is increased.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thank you so much for your response and to whom ever moved this to the correct forum. I would rather tap the front and I do have a pigtail with existing speaker wire already attached. That just made my day. I did t want to dig out the rear ones, the front and I are already acquainted. Thankfully! Also, anything to do with the existing amp tucked away, ever so not easy to access? I'd rather avoid that guy. The sub came with a remote as well ..I included pics. Anything I should avoid when tapping the front? I am assuming I can just run the wires since the front are already after market. Just connect to the existing wires as I did to install them to the factory speaker mounting bracket in the door. I kept the OG speaker mount with the harness plug. I just sawed the brackets off the back and installed dampening background and speaker protection to the OG Ford mounting brackets.

20240523_133031.jpg

20240523_133017.jpg

20240523_133005.jpg

20240523_133002.jpg

Thank you so much for your response and to whom ever moved this to the correct forum. I would rather tap the front and I do have a pigtail with existing speaker wire already attached. That just made my day. I did t want to dig out the rear ones, the front and I are already acquainted. Thankfully! Also, anything to do with the existing amp tucked away, ever so not easy to access? I'd rather avoid that guy. The sub came with a remote as well ..I included pics. Anything I should avoid when tapping the front? I am assuming I can just run the wires since the front are already after market. Just connect to the existing wires as I did to install them to the factory speaker mounting bracket in the door. I kept the OG speaker mount with the harness plug. I just sawed the brackets off the back and installed dampening background and speaker protection to the OG Ford mounting brackets.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "existing amp" The police interceptor shouldn't have one. Is it an aftermarket amp a previous owner installed?

Back