2019 xlt crank, but no start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 xlt crank, but no start

Hey thanks for replying, it actually makes the trying to start noise like the engine goes but just doesn't complet the start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey thanks for replying, it actually makes the trying to start noise like the engine goes but just doesn't complet the start.
Well, I think that should eliminate the starter. Perhaps it isn't always getting fuel or firing when it does. How many miles are on it?

Pete

Having a similar issue with my wife's 2019, crank no start and no fuel pressure. i get 10.8 volts at the pump. does it need to be 11 or above to operate or is the pump in need of being replaced? The first two times it happened just disconnecting the battery for a couple hours and it would start. My thought at first was bcm. I dont believe they have inertia switches any longer , they call them a fuel pump driver?

Having a similar issue with my wife's 2019, crank no start and no fuel pressure. i get 10.8 volts at the pump. does it need to be 11 or above to operate or is the pump in need of being replaced? The first two times it happened just disconnecting the battery for a couple hours and it would start. My thought at first was bcm. I dont believe they have inertia switches any longer , they call them a fuel pump driver?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your Explorer does have a Fuel Shutoff feature. It is explained on page 259 of the Owner's Manual (2nd print) under Roadside Emergencies.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your Explorer does have a Fuel Shutoff feature. It is explained on page 259 of the Owner's Manual (2nd print) under Roadside Emergencies.

Peter
I will have to take a look, thanks

I will have to take a look, thanks
Is that function controlled by the fuel pump driver module or pcm or bcm? Just curious.

Is that function controlled by the fuel pump driver module or pcm or bcm? Just curious.
That, I don't know. Perhaps another member will jump in.

Peter

So weird, I was able to jump the vehicle today and it started but had to be coincidence because tried it again and nope. also tested battery and fine.

So weird, I was able to jump the vehicle today and it started but had to be coincidence because tried it again and nope. also tested battery and fine.
Well we were able to see that when starting there is no fuel coming up the fuel line so I guess that jump was a coincidence. Weird part is on the occasion when it does start there is no issue at all with fuel once it is on. Once its on, its good and drives totally normal, no hesitation, no rough idle, normal.

Well we were able to see that when starting there is no fuel coming up the fuel line so I guess that jump was a coincidence. Weird part is on the occasion when it does start there is no issue at all with fuel once it is on. Once its on, its good and drives totally normal, no hesitation, no rough idle, normal.
Perhaps it is that your fuel pump is starting to fail. I don't know what else would prevent the fuel from being pumped. Anyone else have any ideas?
Might be time for a dealer visit.

Peter

Is there a way to just switch the car on without cranking?

I ask, because in older models if you turn the key on and off 3 or 4 times, if fuel starved, then try starting it will fire right up.

Perhaps it is that your fuel pump is starting to fail. I don't know what else would prevent the fuel from being pumped. Anyone else have any ideas?
Might be time for a dealer visit.

Peter
I took it to a local mechanic to see what he thinks...I'll update once they take a peek at it. I would think if it was the fuel pump it could still have that issue while driving it, I dove it for 14 hours without turning it off and no issues. This was after it left me stranded and then magically decided to start up again after the dealer said they can't find an issue.

Hello
Same problem here. Yesterday afternoon, reading this forum saved me a hassle, as I was in the 1/4+ fuel level, maybe not parked level (I mean maybe) camp and it wouldn‘t start. Tried that procedure in the manual for re-starting and that didn’t do anything. Pushed it across the parking lot, topped off the tank, and away we went. It’s started and run well on several trips in the past 24 hours hours.

This evening, it won’t start again. Cranks and it wants to start, it flutters a bit, just needs fuel (I think). This is at least the 3rd instance, maybe 4th, and each one is progressively more challenging to get it started.

Trying to trouble shoot, here are my observations:
It’s been hot here, unusually so for us northerners, and the trouble has been after trips of 30 - 90 minutes in the heat of afternoon, AC running and it’s hot under the hood when checking.

Today, I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (lost the clock, but not the radio presets). I tried using the special fuel filling funnel to open the gas fill point in case there was any pressure or vacuum. I let it sit for about 90 minutes, no start, 4 hours now start. Soon, the battery will be down and I’ll have to recharge/jump.

Soon, I’ll have to tow it. With some luck, maybe it will start in the morning and I can drive it to a dealer. Based on others experience, I don’t want to be left with no ideas. I’ll need to start replacing parts and hope to guess well early in the process.

Thanks for any ideas (wife has to work tomorrow and would like me to fix her car) and I’ll try to update if I find a solution. I think it’s clear that there is a problem with these models and it needs a fix. I am operating well within design specs, I’m sure.
Jr

Hello
Same problem here. Yesterday afternoon, reading this forum saved me a hassle, as I was in the 1/4+ fuel level, maybe not parked level (I mean maybe) camp and it wouldn‘t start. Tried that procedure in the manual for re-starting and that didn’t do anything. Pushed it across the parking lot, topped off the tank, and away we went. It’s started and run well on several trips in the past 24 hours hours.

This evening, it won’t start again. Cranks and it wants to start, it flutters a bit, just needs fuel (I think). This is at least the 3rd instance, maybe 4th, and each one is progressively more challenging to get it started.

Trying to trouble shoot, here are my observations:
It’s been hot here, unusually so for us northerners, and the trouble has been after trips of 30 - 90 minutes in the heat of afternoon, AC running and it’s hot under the hood when checking.

Today, I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (lost the clock, but not the radio presets). I tried using the special fuel filling funnel to open the gas fill point in case there was any pressure or vacuum. I let it sit for about 90 minutes, no start, 4 hours now start. Soon, the battery will be down and I’ll have to recharge/jump.

Soon, I’ll have to tow it. With some luck, maybe it will start in the morning and I can drive it to a dealer. Based on others experience, I don’t want to be left with no ideas. I’ll need to start replacing parts and hope to guess well early in the process.

Thanks for any ideas (wife has to work tomorrow and would like me to fix her car) and I’ll try to update if I find a solution. I think it’s clear that there is a problem with these models and it needs a fix. I am operating well within design specs, I’m sure.
Jr
My issue wound up being my fuel pump went bad...at 68K..crazy.

Hello

Jr
Welcome to the Forum Jr. :wave:
How much fuel was in the tank the second time? I don't believe a normally operating vehicle should be 'required' to keep a minimum amount of fuel in the tank under normal circumstances but I try to never let mine go below the 1/4 tank mark. Perhaps it is an issue with the pump.

Peter

Got towed to the dealer and it started when they were taking off the tow truck. Dealer has no clue. No codes. Has fuel. Don't have a way to check for spark. Has anyone solves this problem yet!
I saw this on a YouTube channel I watch. Turned out to be something internmiddent with the fuelpump. Maybe have them start off by testing the fuel pressure.

Welcome to the Forum Jr. :wave:
How much fuel was in the tank the second time? I don't believe a normally operating vehicle should be 'required' to keep a minimum amount of fuel in the tank under normal circumstances but I try to never let mine go below the 1/4 tank mark. Perhaps it is an issue with the pump.

Peter
I agree, shouldn’t be a minimum. It’s about 3/4 full and parked in the driveway where it has started 1000 times.
This morning, I did a rudimentary check of the EVAP purge solenoid and verified other connections all across the top of the engine and tried the other things over again. Finally managed to run down the battery, so it’s on the charger now.
I think I’m heading toward a tow and a fuel pump. I don’t use a shop much, but called a couple who can get to it in 3 - 5 days.

My issue wound up being my fuel pump went bad...at 68K..crazy.
Thanks for confirmation. I’m around 37k.

One of my motorbikes had a “known issue” with fuel pumps - they “all” went bad between 6k - 15k… just swap out or bypass…
I’m not suggesting this is a known issue for our cars, but seeing these patterns from information shared on this forum are helping me to decide next steps to solve my current challenge.

I work on motorbikes for fun and cars cuz I have to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the help I got here; you all got me home one night when the failures were intermittent. I’m still not sure why a full tank allows the fuel pump to perform better than 1/4 tank, but it did. I’ll like to share the resolution I found, in case it helps someone in the future. Just got the car home tonight; 3 weeks and about $300 later. You can do better than that.

It was the fuel pump. It would not “engage” was the how it was described to me. On my 2019, with mileage in the mid-30s, it was covered by the power train warranty. No cost dealer repair.

Here’s my summary:
About 4 instances of intermittent failure, on the 4th you got me home on the “full tank” trick. On the 5th, it was dead in my driveway for a couple days.

I used my roadside assistance tow to get it to the nearest reputable independent dealer. About 4 working days later, they called to say yes, you‘re right, it’s the fuel pump. It’s not engaging. I can fix it in about 3-4 days for an estimate $1300 - $1500 (fair in my market), but I looked it up and it is under warranty, maybe check a dealer. No charge for diagnostic, no charge for the week on his lot. They will get future business from me.

Dealer calls: nearest dealer declined that it was covered by warranty and wouldn’t listen to anything I asked, right, I remembered why I don’t use them. Dealer where I bought it, high volume, probably warranty, but 6 weeks out. The dealer I use the most for service = yeah, it should be warranty, if you diagnosed it correctly, bring it in: No bulletins or recalls that they could see. Set my expectation that it could be 3 weeks, but they would deliver sooner if they could, which the did.

So, an out of pocket cash pay for the tow to the dealer (used the guy who got the roadside job from my insurance, so he towed the same car twice in a week) and a Lyft ride to the dealer to pick it up added up to something a bit shy of $300

Good luck out there -
I’ll be back when I meet my next challenge with my explorer

Back