2020+ different models using same of different parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020+ different models using same of different parts?

CavCop

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Killeen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer King Ranch
Anyone know of different/performance parts used on say the ST or Police Interceptor that might not be used/shared on other Explorers?

Like Brakes, Springs, Shock/Strut, Differential Gears, Sway Bars, Engine/Oil Coolers, etc?

I know with the Crown Vic PI and Mercury Marauder they had things like higher power alternator with disengagement clutch for WOT, aluminum drive shafts, 3.55 gears, higher rate front springs, transmission coolers, better front brakes/pads, and a few other things to give them an edge over the base models.

From what I have read, it seems the 18” steel wheels on the Explorer PI are the only real different part. I read the Timberline uses the PI shocks and springs to get some lift, for larger tires on the cast aluminum 18” wheels.

The ST and PI seem close to the same, not sure of spring rates/ride height.

One thing I found interesting is on my RWD Marauder and a Bullitt Mustang, a larger front sway bar seemed to help when upgrading from the factory (the Bullitt rear was small), but for the Explorer it seems the Steeda rear is the main upgrade to stay level in hard turns.

Just trying to see if there are any factory type improvements the ST or PI might have that’s known.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess the Timberline gets a Torsen differential. Surprised the ST does not have one.

Timberline also gets rebound springs, I don’t see on others.

They say the Timberline gets “specially tuned springs and suspension”. But other places say they use the PI shocks and springs.

The brakes on the ST without the 21" wheels are the same brakes as all other trim lines.

The brakes on the ST without the 21" wheels are the same brakes as all other trim lines.
I know Ford used to use Bremo brakes as upgrades, but started just painting factor brake calipers on their full size trucks/SUV’s. Does the 21” ST get better calipers or just painted?

Edit:

Found this on line;

Specifically, the ST Street Pack delivers vented rotors and larger calipers front and rear, which grow 18 mm up front, and 30 mm out back compared to the stock calipers on the Explorer ST and Explorer Platinum. If that’s not enough, then Ford also offers the High Performance Package. At $1,595, the package adds performance lining to those brakes.

We couldn’t help but wonder why the High Performance Package is more expensive than the ST Street Pack, as it only adds one component, while the other seems more substantial due to the addition of new rotors and calipers. In fact, the ST Street Pack seems to have a lot more than $995 worth of equipment, and we’re not convinced that the upgraded brake lining is really worth the additional $600.

We asked the folks over at Ford Performance why the High Performance Pack costs more than the ST Street Pack, but they couldn’t give us a clear answer.

The street pack brakes on the ST are slightly bigger rotors and bigger calipers. The still are the 2 piston floating caliper design like the standard brakes, just a little bigger and are painted red.

The high performance brakes are a waste of money. Early in the 2020 model year a lot of people spent the extra 600 for the better pads only to find out the squealed and made a lot of noise. You can get better aftermarket pads that made less brake dust, are quieter, and offer better braking performance for a lot less money from companies like EBC brakes or powerstop.

Looks like only the Platinum AWD comes with 3.73 gears, with the 2WD and ST’s having 3.58 gears, and the King Ranch having 3.31 in both drive trains. Not sure how accurate Car and Drivers data page is.

Anyone know if the AWD Platinum is faster than the AWD ST?

Looks like only the Platinum AWD comes with 3.73 gears, with the 2WD and ST’s having 3.58 gears, and the King Ranch having 3.31 in both drive trains. Not sure how accurate Car and Drivers data page is.

You don't have to rely on Car and Driver. The Ford.com website has a lot of info.

1663608066247.png

Peter

Back