• Register Today It's free!

Missing parts...Timberline

against_The_Wind

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Timberline
I just noticed some threads on here about missing parts. I am now more confused than ever. Just got my 2021 Timberline and just looked at a few things after reading multiple threads that I just came across. I know the timberline is new, but if anybody else has one, please chime in.

This is what I gathered through the threads could be missing?

1) Firewall insulator, I do not have it, just the black felt, I've already complained on a post here about how loud the engine is, did it ever get determined if all models should have this?

2) Strut tower insulation, the thread on this seemed to be for ST's from what I can tell, does that seem correct?

3) Engine cover for the 2.3 liter. I don't have it.

4) Strut tower cross brace, I don't have it.

5) Some have mentioned about a rear deflector, I'm not sure what that is.

6) Hood insulation pad, I have that.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

Peter
Thanks Peter,

I missed that thread, now I've got to figure out if the slightly unigue rear of the timberline is supposed to have that!

Guess i'll look to see if the holes are there.

Have you seen this thread? 2021 XLT Firewall Insulation

And have you talked to your salesman about any of your concerns? That might be a good place to start. It's what I did when i bought my ST and had very good results.

Timberline is a high spec trim. It should have everything a Platinum or ST should have. That said, not sure if the rear diffuser was removed off the build sheet and haven't heard recent 2021 owners report if they've had it or not. Your best bet would be to compile a list of thing missing and touch base with your dealer about them. For sure, Ford sold plenty of Explorers with missing parts and it is up to you, the owner, to determine if anything is missing. Definitely check your spare tire, fuel filter, undercarriage panels, door seals (particularly the lower door seal), and engine compartment. Owners have reported plenty of missing parts. I wish there was one thread that listed all the parts people have reported for new owners to check on.

Timberline is a high spec trim. It should have everything a Platinum or ST should have. That said, not sure if the rear diffuser was removed off the build sheet and haven't heard recent 2021 owners report if they've had it or not. Your best bet would be to compile a list of thing missing and touch base with your dealer about them. For sure, Ford sold plenty of Explorers with missing parts and it is up to you, the owner, to determine if anything is missing. Definitely check your spare tire, fuel filter, undercarriage panels, door seals (particularly the lower door seal), and engine compartment. Owners have reported plenty of missing parts. I wish there was one thread that listed all the parts people have reported for new owners to check on.
Active-x seats and the smaller info screen, makes me think of it more of a slightly lifted XLT than a Plattie or a St

None of the parts "missing" on this Timber line are included on an XLT

Timberline is a high spec trim. It should have everything a Platinum or ST should have. ....................................................
Ford slots the Timberline in between the XLT and Limited. The following is from the 2022 Order Guide.
Series Line up; Base, XLT, Timberline, Limited/Limited Hybrid, ST, King Ranch® and Platinum/Platinum Hybrid

Peter

Thanks for the correction people. I had a brain fart... was thinking of the King Ranch. My bad.

Me with my early 2020 ST was missing the strut insulator and rear diffuser. But I value my time and efforts and it was so much easier to just order it online from forum vendor Levittown ford. Same can be said for the strut tower brace which I bet some will upgrade to the Steeda brace and be willing to part with the stock one.

Thanks for the correction people. I had a brain fart... was thinking of the King Ranch. My bad.

Me with my early 2020 ST was missing the strut insulator and rear diffuser. But I value my time and efforts and it was so much easier to just order it online from forum vendor Levittown ford. Same can be said for the strut tower brace which I bet some will upgrade to the Steeda brace and be willing to part with the stock one.
The Streeda brace is a nice looking piece. I've thought about getting one and getting it powder coated red.

The Streeda brace is a nice looking piece. I've thought about getting one and getting it powder coated red.
the Steeda strut tower brace is great looking, know that the torque specs are 22 ft lbs and the installation holes are slotted

Steeda.jpeg

I just noticed some threads on here about missing parts. I am now more confused than ever. Just got my 2021 Timberline and just looked at a few things after reading multiple threads that I just came across. I know the timberline is new, but if anybody else has one, please chime in.

This is what I gathered through the threads could be missing?

1) Firewall insulator, I do not have it, just the black felt, I've already complained on a post here about how loud the engine is, did it ever get determined if all models should have this?

2) Strut tower insulation, the thread on this seemed to be for ST's from what I can tell, does that seem correct?

3) Engine cover for the 2.3 liter. I don't have it.

4) Strut tower cross brace, I don't have it.

5) Some have mentioned about a rear deflector, I'm not sure what that is.

6) Hood insulation pad, I have that.

Thanks in advance.

New Timberline owner here. This is my 4th Explorer. Missing many of the same parts as you. It really is absurd. I have to wonder how much Ford can “decontent” a vehicle before disclosure to the buyer?

New Timberline owner here. This is my 4th Explorer. Missing many of the same parts as you. It really is absurd. I have to wonder how much Ford can “decontent” a vehicle before disclosure to the buyer?
I was wondering the same thing, never heard of something like this before.

Do you notice that your engine is louder in sport mode, been waiting for another Timberline owner to come along! Our models are allegedly not supposed to have the fake engine sound over the speakers, but I can tell a big difference in sound when in sport mode.

I was wondering the same thing, never heard of something like this before.

Do you notice that your engine is louder in sport mode, been waiting for another Timberline owner to come along! Our models are allegedly not supposed to have the fake engine sound over the speakers, but I can tell a big difference in sound when in sport mode.
I have not tried sport mode yet! I'll give it a try and report back.

So far, no engine cover, no strut tower insulator, no cross brace, no rear deflector.
Gotcha! Thanks.

As far as the rear deflector, that is one part that I think the rear of the timberline is not supposed to have. There are no mounting holes on the silver bumper piece that is unique to the Timberline.

The only thing throwing me off is that another forum member with a Timberline stated they do have a engine cover.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Usually, items removed from a previous year's model are shown in the new model's Order Guide. At other times, it could be removed as part of a 'running change'. Also, most buyers would probably be unaware of any items that are no longer available unless they come to a forum like this.
Congrats on the new Timberline. :thumbsup:

Peter

I have a 21 Timberline, wife loves it. I have nearly everything you listed. September 21 build date. However, I did not have the engine cover. I had the dealer install one and switch in Amsoil 5w30 ss and it definately quited down the "4 cyclinder" sound. They also put Amsoil SVG in the front/rear differential, transfer case per my request and performed a corrosion rust oil based protectant at the undercarriage (6 year warranty). The car is surprisingly quick with the 2.3/10 speed.

I have a 21 Timberline, wife loves it. I have nearly everything you listed. September 21 build date. However, I did not have the engine cover. I had the dealer install one and switch in Amsoil 5w30 ss and it definately quited down the "4 cyclinder" sound. They also put Amsoil SVG in the front/rear differential, transfer case per my request and performed a corrosion rust oil based protectant at the undercarriage (6 year warranty). The car is surprisingly quick with the 2.3/10 speed.
Did your Timberline ship with rear air deflector installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your Timberline ship with rear air deflector installed?

This link is a Baddesst post on another thread stating he does have the rear air deflector and I asked him in that thread to post a picture if he gets a chance, since the different rear bumper on the Timberline, did not appear to have anywhere to mount the deflector to, unless the Timberline get it's own deflector.

Back