• Register Today It's free!

2020 ford explorer problems

sue lo

Reaction score
City, State
MEDFORD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ford explorer xlt
is anyone else having issues? we only had for 1 month and its been in the shop more than home- first was minor rear seat not folding correctly- then while driving the system first tried steering us off road then completely lock steering - went in for that it had something to do with the wire touching the frame and fried it- get bk wednesday night- then friday put in reverse - reverse camera came on but car went forward- thank God no accidents or injuries but scary- anyone else having these major issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is anyone else having issues? we only had for 1 month and its been in the shop more than home- first was minor rear seat not folding correctly- then while driving the system first tried steering us off road then completely lock steering - went in for that it had something to do with the wire touching the frame and fried it- get bk wednesday night- then friday put in reverse - reverse camera came on but car went forward- thank God no accidents or injuries but scary- anyone else having these major issues?

Do you remember that color of the wire that was fried? Did you get the sunroof package.

Welcome to the Forum Sue.:wave:

Peter

Do you remember that color of the wire that was fried? Did you get the sunroof package.
no sunroof- it was the ac wire that the recall came over on after this happened

4347 miles while regular easy driving in Sport Mode the following faults appeared on the display:
- 4WD Fault Service Required
- Hill Start Assist Not available
- Pre-Collision Assist Not available
- Service AdvanceTrak
- Drive Modes Not Available
- Auto Hold System Fault

The car defaulted to what appeared in the display to be a "normal" or "rescue" drive mode. I did initially pull over after a few minutes, turn off the car, sit there for a few minutes and then restart. All failures came back on the screen within 10 seconds.

The last 2 days: After car sitting overnight, now cold. Started up and all systems ok. Drive normal for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden all fault windows return to display and car goes back into the "normal rescue drive mode" (for lack of better words).

Not sure yet if this is a cold/heat issue of some sensor or what. I was going to take it to the dealership right away, but I think I'll wait to see if I can get more consistent with it, especially as it seems to take about 10 minutes from cold start to appear.

Up to this point at 4347 miles I have had no issues at all. I have the black on black, Premium Technology Package, Twin moonroof and ST High Perf Pack. Also installed a JLT oil catch can. Really love the car.

I think what it does is to go into FWD mode. Have you tried driving in Normal mode to see if you get the same warning messages?

Peter

no sunroof- it was the ac wire that the recall came over on after this happened
So is everything working now?

Peter

Peter,

UPDATE: Drove quite a bit yesterday to further test and everything operated perfectly, no fault windows in any drive mode, not 1. You got me. I'll see how this plays out the rest of this week. My wife asked me last night .... "Do you think Ford can look at your fault data remotely while you are driving and troubleshoot it an actually repair it?" Man, never thought about that. I don't think auto repair is at that level yet, but ......

I believe the vehicle has the option of sending out diagnostic data if the setting is enabled. At times I get a screen come up to that effect after I start it up. As far as 'over the air' customized software repairs/updates, I agree that I don't think we are there yet, at least not that I'm aware of.

Peter

I set my Sync3 to not communicate with Ford. Ford has no need to know what I'm doing, listening to, etc. They can keep their "This is to help improve the system" b s.

I believe the vehicle has the option of sending out diagnostic data if the setting is enabled. At times I get a screen come up to that effect after I start it up. As far as 'over the air' customized software repairs/updates, I agree that I don't think we are there yet, at least not that I'm aware of.

Peter

That's SYNC 3 specific diagnostics. So, crashes, bluetooth connection drops, voice commands not working, etc. OTA is there for SYNC 3, but I don't think anything else. Yet anyway.

I set my Sync3 to not communicate with Ford. Ford has no need to know what I'm doing, listening to, etc. They can keep their "This is to help improve the system" b s.

Some of us actually do use that data to fix / improve things. ;)

That's fine for you. You work for Ford. As such, You must cya. OTOH, I don't, so I won't send them data. Nor, do I sing their praises. I have feedback shut off as best I can on both my google phone and chromebook.

That's fine for you. You work for Ford. As such, You must cya. OTOH, I don't, so I won't send them data. Nor, do I sing their praises. I have feedback shut off as best I can on both my google phone and chromebook.

No worries. I'm the same way. Main reason I contribute to the Ford data is I know what is there. :)

Peter

Ok guys. Picked up the ST after 1 day in the shop for those 6 fault windows indicated in above post.

SOLUTION: Replaced Front Half Speed Sensor per TSB# 20-2071. Tech at dealership told me that Ford was already aware of the issue.

It appears I may have been on to something on the fault windows being triggered by the "acceleration around the corners".

We'll see if this proves to be successful. I'm hopeful and will give it some good amount of tests myself.

Back