Hello! Problems with 2020 Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello! Problems with 2020 Platinum

Ashlylt

Reaction score
City, State
Longview, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Platinum
Hi! I have had my 2020 Platinum Explorer since April. We recently took a trip with no issues. We got back and the next day the transmission seems like it’s stuck in 1st. It’s very scary and jumps forward multiple times. Not to mention my backup camera shows a blue light, error message says headlamp accessory error and the silver things on the window to roll them up and down are already peeling! Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have problems but nothing like that. Why haven't you called Roadside Assistance. They'll send the wrecker. Then it'll be the dealer's problem.

I have problems but nothing like that. Why haven't you called Roadside Assistance. They'll send the wrecker. Then it'll be the dealer's problem.
The roadside assistance was five hours out so I drove it in sport mode and shifted manually at a very low speed. I was just asking if anyone else had problems like these.

Wow, how many miles? With the Covid stuff we've been grounded. Bought the car last Nov, got 3,600 miles. I've had enough issues that it might be time to trade away from Ford. Been thinking about it anyway.

Wow, how many miles? With the Covid stuff we've been grounded. Bought the car last Nov, got 3,600 miles. I've had enough issues that it might be time to trade away from Ford. Been thinking about it anyway.
I brought it brand new in April and it has about 9000 miles on it. We took a cross country trip and got back Saturday. I’m thankful it didn’t lay down on us when we were traveling. My last Explorer had transmission issues but I’m shocked I have so many issues with a brand new car! I’m thinking about trading but it’s hard considering I will lose so much if I do!

I brought it brand new in April and it has about 9000 miles on it. We took a cross country trip and got back Saturday. I’m thankful it didn’t lay down on us when we were traveling. My last Explorer had transmission issues but I’m shocked I have so many issues with a brand new car! I’m thinking about trading but it’s hard considering I will lose so much if I do!

Get an ST. We have thousands of people who have bought an ST model and only one or two had issues with their engines or trannie coolers. Plus it has more power then the Platinum.

No, I wanted an ST until I drove one. The creature comforts were more important that the stiff ride and noisy engine. As it turned out the Platinum does ride better and the creature comforts are better but the engine is just as noisy, it has a crappy transmission and the front end rattles like a box rubber balls in the cardboard box. Yes. it's been in the shop and Ford's response is it's normal. That's Ford's response, not the dealer's. We're thinking now we ought to look at Lincoln. If they're no better we'll give up. Sad...we've been ford owners since the sixties, not including my 40 coupe. I would do most anything to get back our 2016 Platinum.

Get an ST. We have thousands of people who have bought an ST model and only one or two had issues with their engines or trannie coolers. Plus it has more power then the Platinum.
Thanks! I feel like I have a 58,000 paper weight at this point! Not sure I can afford to lose that much money and trade it in unfortunately! I’m kinda stuck at this point unless Ford buys back but I know that won’t happen.

The transmission in the 2020 has had many issues and there are threads here on that. As for the rearview camera, a recall notice has just been issued on that. Rearview Camera Recall

Peter

The transmission in the 2020 has had many issues and there are threads here on that. As for the rearview camera, a recall notice has just been issued on that. Rearview Camera Recall

Peter
That’s great. I have one on order through the dealership now. I’ve been looking up forums on the transmission and thankful for the feedback.

Hi! I have had my 2020 Platinum Explorer since April. We recently took a trip with no issues. We got back and the next day the transmission seems like it’s stuck in 1st. It’s very scary and jumps forward multiple times. Not to mention my backup camera shows a blue light, error message says headlamp accessory error and the silver things on the window to roll them up and down are already peeling! Anyone else experiencing these problems?
Hi there and YES!!!!! I haven't experienced the transmission issue but the backup camera, parking break fault, silver thing on the window buttons, heated seats, 3 row seats stuck, driver seat is discolored and FORD takes zero responsibility and my DVD players have not worked since I purchased the car. The cord has a short and FORD can't seem to find it (yes, was a ford factory install). FORD take ZERO responsibility for the seats and still waiting (6 months later) for the cord. Unbelievable. Hope your problems have been fixed.

Hi there and YES!!!!! I haven't experienced the transmission issue but the backup camera, parking break fault, silver thing on the window buttons, heated seats, 3 row seats stuck, driver seat is discolored and FORD takes zero responsibility and my DVD players have not worked since I purchased the car. The cord has a short and FORD can't seem to find it (yes, was a ford factory install). FORD take ZERO responsibility for the seats and still waiting (6 months later) for the cord. Unbelievable. Hope your problems have been fixed.
Hello! Im sorry your having issues as well. I was able to get some of mine fixed but still deal with many. It’s been in the shop 5 times since we brought it. I’ve had the same problems as you. The discoloration of the seats is horrible!! Not to mention having to replace all of the silver things on the window at less than a year old. I plan on getting rid of it the first chance I have! Good luck!!

Hello! Im sorry your having issues as well. I was able to get some of mine fixed but still deal with many. It’s been in the shop 5 times since we brought it. I’ve had the same problems as you. The discoloration of the seats is horrible!! Not to mention having to replace all of the silver things on the window at less than a year old. I plan on getting rid of it the first chance I have! Good luck!!
Thanks for your response. Sorry to you too. This car is terrible and have said the same thing about getting rid of it. Not worth the headache. Take care and good luck.

Thanks for your response. Sorry to you too. This car is terrible and have said the same thing about getting rid of it. Not worth the headache. Take care and good luck.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As one who has never had issues with my vehicles, it is someone difficult to imagine having all the issues you are having. Have any of them been addressed under the warranty? What exactly is the discolouration issue? There are posts in the 5th gen about the light-coloured seats being discoloured by blue jeans. I don't believe they were covered under warranty.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As one who has never had issues with my vehicles, it is someone difficult to imagine having all the issues you are having. Have any of them been addressed under the warranty? What exactly is the discolouration issue? There are posts in the 5th gen about the light-coloured seats being discoloured by blue jeans. I don't believe they were covered under warranty.

Peter
Your lucky you haven’t experienced any issues. Yes blue jeans discolor the seats and no they aren’t covered. All of my issues have been fixed by warranty it just takes while and the vehicle is in there multiple times for the same issue.

Peter seemed to be the one person without problems. I recently got so angry with my Platinum that I traded it for a Lincoln Corsair....and even got some money back. So far, we're loving the car/truck, whatever they're calling them these days.
Size-wise, it's not an Explorer and storage is limited but we're not traveling much now.
This car is:
much quieter
better ride
Very quick
Very comfortable
I hope we didn't make another mistake by buying yet another Ford Product, but so far we're delighted.

The roadside assistance was five hours out so I drove it in sport mode and shifted manually at a very low speed. I was just asking if anyone else had problems like these.
Same issues. Transmission had to be replaced at 23,000 miles. This model is nothing but problems. Ford needs to be held accountable

Same issues. Transmission had to be replaced at 23,000 miles. This model is nothing but problems. Ford needs to be held accountable
Accountable how? New vehicles have the 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. With the transmission replaced under warranty, seems like Ford took responsibility for the problem.

Accountable how? New vehicles have the 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. With the transmission replaced under warranty, seems like Ford took responsibility for the problem.
All you have to do is look up issues with 2020 Ford Explorer to see that this whole line was a lemon. Do you think it’s ok to have that many issues reported with this automobile? Do you think that in 9 months it’s ok to have a car with 14,000 - 23,000 in the shop 5 times, not including maintenance? And they had it more than 1 day each time. What happens when the factory warranty is up? Not Ford’s issue anymore. The fact that they know there are so many issues with this particular vehicle, they need to be held accountable!
In addition the fact that you can’t get into a Ford dealership for almost a month a
Speaks to the quality of their product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All you have to do is look up issues with 2020 Ford Explorer to see that this whole line was a lemon. Do you think it’s ok to have that many issues reported with this automobile? Do you think that in 9 months it’s ok to have a car with 14,000 - 23,000 in the shop 5 times, not including maintenance? And they had it more than 1 day each time. What happens when the factory warranty is up? Not Ford’s issue anymore. The fact that they know there are so many issues with this particular vehicle, they need to be held accountable!
In addition the fact that you can’t get into a Ford dealership for almost a month a
Speaks to the quality of their product.
I guess I'm lucky because as many problems as I've had I've never had the vehicle in the shop more than 10 days maximum. Also, I've never had to wait to bring the vehicle in for repairs. Yes, they have had to wait several days for parts but once the parts were in, the repair was completed in 1-2 days. I've had a fuel pump, battery, clutch, rear camera and rear glass replaced in just 25,000 miles. My 3 year warranty is up in December and am looking at an ESP for another 4 years/50K miles for just under $1600 with a $100 deductible.

Back