2022 Explorer King Ranch gas mileage. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Explorer King Ranch gas mileage.

Adamb1235

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer King R
So I just had a 2022 Explorer King Ranch built and I was wondering if im the only one getting bad gas milage? Most of the time my wife and 2 little ones are diving in the explorer. In the specs it says 18 city and 25 highway. We are mostly driving city miles some highway and we both aren't heavy on the gas peddle. Our average mpg is 12 and that is in eco mode. Can anyone give me an explanation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you happen to have the 2022 KR also?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you check his profile in the margin you will see that he has a 2022 XLT. ;)

Peter

Mine is a 3.0 liter twin turbo with 400hp and it eats up gas even though we're always in eco mode and light on the gas peddle.

I have a 21 KR and get typically 16-18 in mixed... freeway only does improve the MPG's.. I live in AZ and A/C is on from May - into Oct.

KR are 3.0T not 2.3T

I have a 21 KR and get typically 16-18 in mixed... freeway only does improve the MPG's.. I live in AZ and A/C is on from May - into Oct.
Thanks for your comment. This was helpful. I believe the only difference from the 21 and 22 is 35hp the 22 has 400hp and the 21 has 365hp. I feel like they should get about the same mpg.

'21 KR here, short drives from house have been getting around 16 mpg on average. With wife driving it few days a week to work now that kids are out the combined has gone up to about 19-20 mpg.
Was kinda disappointed in mpg myself as other family car is a Pontiac G8 GT with 6.0L motor. It gets about the same milage doing the same driving.
With the price of fuel going through the roof we've switched the fuel to 87 oct want to see if the milage is the same or not. Power difference is noticeable as timing is pulled dramatically. In any other country 93 oct would probably be required. But here to many people will only run 87 oct. So they tune for it.

yes it did and 3.0 twin turbo
There's gotta be something going on preventing me from getting better mileage. I believe the only difference from mine is that it has 400hp and the 21 has 365hp and they are both 3.0 twin turbo. Does yours have heated/cooled seats with the messaging option?

There's gotta be something going on preventing me from getting better mileage. I believe the only difference from mine is that it has 400hp and the 21 has 365hp and they are both 3.0 twin turbo. Does yours have heated/cooled seats with the messaging option?
How many miles do you have on it now?
As per the Manual;
"The first 1,000 mi (1,600 km) of driving is the break-in period of the vehicle. Resetting average fuel in your trip
computer after 2,000–3,000 mi (3,200–4,800 km) provides a more accurate measurement."

Peter

How many miles do you have on it now?
As per the Manual;
"The first 1,000 mi (1,600 km) of driving is the break-in period of the vehicle. Resetting average fuel in your trip
computer after 2,000–3,000 mi (3,200–4,800 km) provides a more accurate measurement."

Peter
Thanks Peter. This is really helpful. I'm just over 1000 miles. I did reset the trip a few times but maybe It's gotta break in a little more.

My '2021 Platinum with the 365HP 3.0L twin turbo is an AWD model. I routinely get 18 mpg in primarily city driving/short trips.
I was surprised to see this sticker on the engine valve cover indicating my vehicles engine is a model year 2020 RWD.

View attachment 430198
Hey Pedro, my engine says the same thing so you can't go by that because mine was just built 3 months ago. Also, mine is AWD.

Screenshot_20220607-191549_Gallery.jpg

Back