2025 Explorer First Look by Kris G and Russell D | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2025 Explorer First Look by Kris G and Russell D

Kris Guilbeaux

Elite Demon Secretary
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
It’s All in the Name. Its the new slogan for the new 2025 Ford Explorer

2025 Ford Explorer ST_03.jpg

I got to experince this refreshed 6th generation Explorer first hand in Dearborn, MI thanks to Rick.

The 2025 Explorer with a Redesigned Interior, All-New Ford Digital Experience and Available BlueCruise 2 Hands-Free Highway Driving is Ready for Adventure.

2025 Ford Explorer ST_14.jpg

The adventure continues. Ford Explorer®–America’s all-time best-selling SUV sets a new standard again with an updated lineup of models: Active, St-Line, St, & platinum.

All of which featuring a redesigned interior, advanced new technology and bolder exterior styling to create Ford’s best Explorer yet. Since 1991, Explorer has helped define SUV comfort, performance and functionality.

•Hands-free exploring: Available Ford BlueCruise 1.2 makes hands-free highway driving a reality for Explorer owners.

•Extend your digital life–The Ford Digital Experience infotainment system enables drivers to access their favorite apps and services from Google and Amazon, through the new integrated native experience, as well as with Apple CarPlay powered by iPhone and Android Auto through other compatible devices. A new level of Explorer comfort - Explorer’s redesigned interior catches the eyewith fine details, surfaces and colors, including new wrap-and-stitch soft-touch surfaces on the center console, door panels and redesigned dashboard, and available ActiveX® durable and premium synthetic seating material. Silver mesh accents further the premium feel of the updated interior.

The dashboard has been pushed forward to give front-row passengers a more open and spacious cabin. An integrated tray below the touchscreen houses an available wireless phone charging pad and there are USB connections to charge mobile devices in all three rows. The new Explorer starts with a great foundation. Customers told Ford engineers they love the way it drives and the choice of rear-wheel and all-wheel drive. Ford focused on improving other areas including redesigning the interior with new materials, textures and colors to make sitting inside Explorer as enjoyable as driving one.

New Element inspired Interiors:

•Platinum Mojave Dusk leather instrument panel, door panels and console with matched accent stitchingo Mojave Dusk leather seats with matched accent stitching

•ST Black Onyx instrument panel, door panels and console with red accent stitching, or Black Onyx ActiveX seats with Miko suede inserts and red accent stitching

•ST-Line Black Onyx instrument panel, door panels and console with red accent stitching, or Black Onyx ActiveX seats with cloth inserts and red accent stitching

•Active Ultra Dark Space Gray instrument panel, door panels and console with Harvest Bronze accent stitching, or Dark Gray soft-touch seats with Black Onyx inserts and Harvest Bronze accent stitching Color your adventures Standard on Platinum and ST, and available on ST-Line.

2025 Ford Explorer ST_19.jpg

Explorer customers can choose from seven ambient lighting options: Ice Blue, Orange, Soft Blue, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.

Explorer is the first Ford vehicle to include the new Ford Digital Experience, which allows customers to access their digital life inside the car. It is designed to allow greater connection and personalization for customers through profiles, content, and apps, helping make time behind the wheel more enjoyable, even when parked.The displays on the 13.2-inch touchscreen allow for easy control, and integration with Google Maps allows navigation screens to be displayed on both the touchscreen and the 12.3-inch digital cluster. Designed to prioritize the use of voice, Google Assistant serves as the default voice assistant and Alexa Built-In is also available as an alternative for in-vehicle controls including to set in-vehicle temperature, search information, find and set a destination and request a specific broadcast or satellite radio station. It can also help with making calls, sending texts, setting a meeting, and controlling connected home devices. Customers can enjoy streaming music, audiobooks, and podcasts using entertainment apps downloaded onGoogle Play,including Spotify, Amazon Music, Audible, and iHeartRadio.

2025 Ford Explorer ST_17.jpg

SiriusXM6 with 360L are embedded in the vehicle for a personalized listening experience - they are always available in the vehicle, regardless of whether a smartphone is connected in the vehicle. While parked, Explorer customers can:

•Watch videos and stream their favorite movies and TV shows with apps such as YouTube, Prime Video and more to stay entertained while out and about on daily journeys.
•Surf the web using the available Vivaldi Browser app –as well as Google Chrome coming soon –including with a Bluetooth-connected keyboard to make typing easier.
•Play games on the touchscreen by selecting from a growing list of games available on Google Play, including a Ford-exclusive version of racing game Asphalt Nitro 2; users can connect a Bluetooth-enabled gaming controller for a more immersive experience. The Ford Digital Experience platform is designed to enable more apps and services in the future and help make the vehicle better over time thanks to over-the-air software update capability, available for the first time to Explorer owners. Plus, 5G wireless technology7brings incredibly fast connectivity and, with a Ford Premium Connectivity plan, it will provide the best possible in-vehicle experience. Customers also have the option to activate a Wi-Fi hot spot that gives Internet access to up to 10 mobile devices. Hands-free highway driving Select trims of the new Explorer are equipped with Ford BlueCruise2 hardware, enabling hands-free highway driving that helps make long road trips or navigating stop-and-go traffic easier and more enjoyable. The system includes features such as Lane Change Assist, allowing a driver to switch lanes hands-free with a tap of the turn signal when the path is clear, and In-Lane Repositioning, which helps provide more space by subtly shifting away from vehicles in adjacent lanes. With BlueCruise2 assisting with the braking, accelerating and steering, it helps reduce some of the stress of driving, allowing you to arrive more energized and refreshed at your destination.

New Explorer customers with BlueCruise2 equipped vehicles can choose to activate a Connected Services plan at the time of vehicle purchase for one year or experience hands-free highway driving with a complimentary 90-day trial. At the end of the trial, customers have the flexibility to activate annually or monthly, based on their needs

Standard equipment includes:

•10-way power, heated driver’s seat
•4-way power, heated front passenger seat
•Ford Digital Experience infotainment system
•13.2-inch LCD touchscreen
•12.3-inch color LCD digital cluster
•Apple CarPlay®and Android Auto™wireless compatibility
•Alexa built-in
•8 USB ports –including two for third-row passengers
•Three 12-volt powerpoints
•Ford Co-Pilot360™Assist+8
•FordPass Connect™embedded modem9
•Class III Trailer Tow PackagePlus:
•Rear-wheel drive (4WD available)
•Recalibrated 10-speed automatic transmission
•Power liftgate
•LED headlamps

New face of Explorer For 2025, the new Explorer boasts a bolder appearance and stance, with options that allow Explorer owners to further personalize their ride. Uniquely styled front ends includes larger grille, sleeker all-LED headlamps, front skid plate and lower, wider air curtains that help lower the vehicle’s visual center of gravity. Further enhancing the look, there’s a new black-painted roof option for Platinum, ST and ST-Line. The updated liftgate maintains the premium appearance, with LED taillamps extending from the vehicle’s corners onto a horizontal nameplate appliqué that stretches across the liftgate.

Explore in style

Explorer customers can tailor the SUV that’s right for them with a handful of available custom packages:

•Platinum Lux Leather Package Adds Platinum badging on front-row seats, Premium Sanctuary Leather seating surfaces with Tri-Diamond Micro-Perforated inserts and accent stitching, piping and quilting on seats and quilting and accent stitching on door panel also Available in Mojave Dusk or Salt Crystal Gray interior environments
•Platinum Ultimate Package Includes all Platinum Lux Leather Package content, plus a 400-horsepower 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 engine and 21-inch Dark Alloy polished aluminum wheels
•ST-Line Premium Package Adds features such as power-folding side mirrors, heated second-row seats, PowerFold® third-row seats, ambient lighting, rain-sensing wipers and wireless charging pad
•ST-Line Street Pack Adds 21-inch Magnetite-painted aluminum wheels, performance brakes and red-painted performance front and rear brake calipers
•Active Comfort Package Adds features such as heated steering wheel, LED fog lamps and signature lightning and ActiveX® seating material Light Space Gray vinyl instrument panel, door panels and console with Harvest Bronze accent stitching available

Each model in the 2025 Explorer lineup features a unique grille.

•Platinum: Unique wing design, satin chrome and Ebony grille
•ST: Honeycomb gloss black grille with black mesh insert and ST badging
•ST-Line: Honeycomb gloss black grille with black mesh insert
•Active: Saw-tooth design, black mesh grille with chrome bar

The new Explorer features seven wheeloptions, including:

•18-inch Sparkle Silver-painted aluminum –standard on Active
•20-inch Carbonized Gray-painted aluminum –available on Active
•20-inch Ebony machined, painted aluminum –standard on ST-Line
•21-inch Magnetite-painted aluminum –standard on ST, available on ST-Line
•20-inch Luster Nickel-painted aluminum –standard on Platinum, available on Active
•20-inch polished aluminum –available on Platinum
•21-inch dark alloy polished aluminum –available on Platinum & ST

Engineered by Ford Performance, the special edition Explorer ST continues as the most powerful and fun-to-drive Explorer ever with new options. Powered by a specially tuned 3.0-liter EcoBoost®engine that produces 400 horsepower10and 415 lb.-ft. of torque, Explorer ST comes standard as a rear-wheel-drive performance SUV. Four-wheel drive is available.Every Explorer ST and ST-Line customer is eligible to attend the complimentary Ford Performance Racing School’s ST Driving Experience, where they will learn how to get the most out of their Explorer ST. Customers can select the location of their choice –in Park City, Utah or Asheville, North Carolina.There’s also an available Explorer ST-Line special edition for customers who prefer standout ST styling without the need for Ford Performance driving dynamics.New for this year is Vapor Blue Metallic paint, available on ST, as well as ST-Line and Active models. Other new options for Explorer ST customers include a black-painted roof and new 21-inch Magnetite-painted aluminum wheels.

The 2025 Explorer series lineup is simplified to include:

Platinum

•2.3-liter EcoBoost®standard
•400 horsepower 3.0-liter EcoBoost available
•Rear-wheel drive standard; four-wheel drive available
•20-inch luster nickel-painted aluminum wheels standard

ST
•400 hp 3.0-liter EcoBoost®
•21-inch Magnetite-painted aluminum wheels standard

ST-Line
•2.3-liter EcoBoost®
•20-inch Ebony machine-painted aluminum wheels standard

Active
•2.3-liter EcoBoost®•Rear-wheel drive standard; four-wheel drive available
•18-inch Sparkle Silver-painted aluminum wheels standard

Ordering for the new Ford Explorer opens Feb 1st, 2024, with a starting MSRP of $41,220, including destination and delivery charges.

My overall thoughts on the 2025 Ford Explorer is it's a well done refresh. The additional tech, and clean restyling of interior and Exterior. I am glad to see the 13.2" screen that replaced the portrait style screen in the previous year models. My biggest complaint is it looks too close to the Chinese market version. I was hoping for a little bit more unique styling for the American market. Only one screen is available no premium screen available as an upgrade. Platinum is not as premium as the previous model year Explorers. Timberline styling was not available at the time of the preview and not sure if the King Ranch Trim will return either.

I also want to give a big thanks to Rick for allowing Russell and I to represent ExplorerForum. This was an amazing adventure.

(Check out Blwnsmoke's review of the 2025 Explorers here:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front has a bit of Mazda CX-50 looks to me, which I like.
Interesting they're offering the 2.3 on the Platinum.

Thank you Kris and Russell for being being able to attend the preview and review the new 2025 Explorer for us. I really appreciate your efforts. The review and video look great.:chug: I'm very glad that I was able to pass this opportunity on to you.

Last month I took a survey from Ford regarding our 2020 Ford Explorer ST. In the comment section I mentioned that I run the largest Ford Explorer forum on the 'net and that Ford had participated with our events going way back to the early 2000s.
The next day I received an email from someone at Ford who invited me to Detroit to checkout the newly refreshed Ford Explorer lineup.
I wasn't able to attend during the time they gave so I passed the opportunity on to a few of our forum's moderators, namely Kris Guilbeaux, Russell Darnell and Brian Collins.

I am very glad that I was able to pass this opportunity on to some great people.

Thanks guys for sharing your impressions (and to Rick for giving you the opportunity to attend).

Personally, I think the front end looks fine (certainly much better than the freshened 23 MY Escape), and I really like the rear end exterior changes. The interior appears massively improved, with much better design and materials. I'm especially happy that they went with a landscape (not portrait) center screen and - as a prospective XLT/Active buyer - that all models get the same size screen.

Lack of hybrid is not great (but a 2.3 I-4 hybrid would have made a lot more sense than the V6 anyway) and shame to see Timberline killed; looks like it may be succeeded by Tremor (maybe in 26 MY?). I wonder if that means that Tremor is replacing Timberline across the board, and next Expedition will get Tremor ilo Timberline too?

@Kris Guilbeaux did you happen to notice if the rear subframe was one bolt or two?

I like what I see but am not overly enthused by the way the taillights are angled.

Peter

My favorite feature is the mirroring of the map from the center display to the cluster display. Lowering the eyes to the cluster display is less distracting than looking across to the center display.

I am also an Android user so better Android support is a big plus as well.

I do like the wider screen, gonna have to get used to no real knobs. I'm not a fan of the grille being bigger and less proportionate with the headlights. Almost looks like the 2011-2015 Explorers with the upgraded headlights. Along with 2025 Explorer, has the 2025 Police Interceptor Utility been revealed? Would love to hear more on that.

I do like the wider screen, gonna have to get used to no real knobs. I'm not a fan of the grille being bigger and less proportionate with the headlights. Almost looks like the 2011-2015 Explorers with the upgraded headlights. Along with 2025 Explorer, has the 2025 Police Interceptor Utility been revealed? Would love to hear more on that.

I don't think that the PIU was part of this first reveal. No one has mentioned it.

That is correct @Rick. They are keeping the updated PIU and the updated Timberline until later. They were very hush hush about both with the exception of a teaser photo of the timberline wheel showing an accent orange paint on the rim.

I don't think that the PIU was part of this first reveal. No one has mentioned it.
I would love to see it be posted and be on the homepage when revealed for those fanboys like me! What about Explorer for the Chinese market? They're very different in China than the US.
That is correct @Rick. They are keeping the updated PIU and the updated Timberline until later. They were very hush hush about both with the exception of a teaser photo of the timberline wheel showing an accent orange paint on the rim.
Never knew they did that. I was wondering about Timberline and mostly Police Interceptor Utility.

Hey everyone,

Last week Russell and I did our first podcast on our channel and did a deep dive into the 2025 Ford Explorer along with discussing what we though the pros and cons on the new Explorer.

Enjoy:

Hey everyone,

Last week Russell and I did our first podcast on our channel and did a deep dive into the 2025 Ford Explorer along with discussing what we though the pros and cons on the new Explorer.

Enjoy:

You guys did a great job in reviewing the 2025 Explorer. You did not mention though the "button decontenting" that has occurred on the '25 and the fact that once again some MBA who likely doesn't even own a car has seen fit to remove 'hard buttons'. My only disagreement with you is that Ford Motor Company has not, and does not listen to customer feedback.

.......................................... My only disagreement with you is that Ford Motor Company has not, and does not listen to customer feedback.
Not true. On the earlier 5th gen Explorer models owners complained about the positioning of a feature and Ford changed it. Unfortunately, I can't recall if it was the temperature display or the time display.
Also, due to online reviews and complaints from Ford people, the Marketing team appears to be rethinking one of the ST packages.

Peter

I hate that they dropped the Limited model. We have a '21 Limited and it was the perfect level of equipment for what we were looking for. Since XLT does not offer leather that was out for us. Plus, we like the Limited features like power-fold mirrors. I do like the '25 front end design however as well as the dash lay-out.

Back