2nd Gen 4" Superlift w/Rancho 9000 Shocks - My Take | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen 4" Superlift w/Rancho 9000 Shocks - My Take

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
Been away from wrenching on the truck and surfing the forums for while because of my new business, but my latest project is to ditch the junk Superlift front shocks for the K494 4" kit for some nice Rancho 9000s. The front end has way too much bounce in it, and I'm hoping this will take care of it.

Here's what I'm planning:

1) Stock Rancho 9000x Shocks, they have a M10x1.5 threaded rod on top. (I have a brand new set in boxes)
2) M10x1.5 Coupling Nut, Rated, Grade 5.8 (This worries me, I would have liked 8.8 or higher, but I couldn't find one)
3) M10x1.5 Grade 8.8 threaded rod
4) M10x1.5 Grade 8.8 Hex nuts & lock washers above and below the stock bushings.

The plan is to simply extend the shock upwards with the threaded rod. What are your thoughts - will this hold up or will this bend?

hmmmm, i seen some shock extenders somewhere,, they might even fit,, try autozone

hmmmm, i seen some shock extenders somewhere,, they might even fit,, try autozone

I tried ones from a speed shop when I first did the lift and they weren't the right thread size or length, do you remember what the brand/length/thread size was on the one's you saw?

Back