3 inch Explorer Pro Comp Spindle w/AAL on a 95-97 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 inch Explorer Pro Comp Spindle w/AAL on a 95-97 XLT

SkyJumper

DISABLED AIRBORNE VET
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
SW Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
Has anyone installed, or know of anyone who installed a 3" Pro Comp Spindle lift w/ AAL on a 95-97 XLT 4dr 2WD. And if so, what was the size tire installed w/out any more mods. I want to install S/S SSR 31x12.5 15 on 15x10 black rock crawlers w/ about a 3.75 back spacing. I already have the 3" system, but not installed due to that I am in Iraq right now, but I want to go ahead and order them now and have them when I get back state side. Do you think this wheel and tire will work or could I go bigger, and stay w/12.5 wide tire and 15x10 rim. Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the spindle lift and 2.5" tt. My 33x12.5 fit no problem. With the 3"spindle, you will have no problem clearing 31x12.5. Those are badass tires too. I'm putting a 3" body lift on soon to clear 35" SSR's. hope that helps.

My backspacing is 4.5". 32x11.5 will fit no problem, and if you crank you torsion bars, you could fit a 33x12.5 like i did.

Thanks 95fielddigger, I was exchanging words with GIJOE and gave me allot of good info too. This such a great site. I joined 3 or 4 days ago and you guys are great. What I was wondering was after you installed your spindle lift did your ass end sag lower than that of the front, with only the AAL. Or did you install shackles too? Plus where are all you guys getting these shackles at? I went online to ol man emu site and could not locate the shackles for my X, and also a bunch of others too. Also what year Ranger lift do you guys (or Gals) Sorry, install on the 95-97 X's. And did you install new gears with your set up? Thanks 95fielddigger: :D

Yes with just 1.5" add -a-leafs in the rear it will sag a little. But if you are going to put spindles and crank the torsion bars in the front you might want to put the trailmaster 4" leaf pack in the rear I think this is what SCEPLORER did. If you want shackles you might be able to get them from 4 wheel parts or maybe even Autozone. Also with 31's you might not have to rear gear but if you put 33's or bigger on your X I suggest you rear gear. As far as the body lift I think it is a 97 Ranger body lift with custom made bumber mounts and the steering extensions from a different Ranger kit, But I am not sure on what year I used.

THANKS GIJOE,DO YOU KNOW THE PART NUMBER ON THAT REAR SPRING PACK WAS AND THE COST?

Aslo Superlift has 4" leaf packs but I do not know the part numbers but you could contact the company and they probaly will tell you or contact 4 wheel parts.
Here are the websites.
Trailmaster- www.trailmastersuspenison.com
Superlift- www.superlift.com
4 Wheel Parts- www.4wheelparts.com
Or you could ask SCEXPLORER.
Hope this helps.

I got the double aal and warrior shackles. The shackles i bought from desert rat offroad. The front does sit about 2" higher, but i like the Prerunner look it gives. Once i get my welder, i will be doin a SOA cause the aal ride pretty stiff. That should even it out and ride a lot better.

Where does a guy get just the spindles? and the cost?

Shagnasty you can not. I checked with Pro Comp, which the only company selling the spindles for the 95-97 X, because of the issues in the past of the safety of rollovers and the firestone ordeal, and they do not sell the pieces individually. The whole or nothing. I found that the cheapest place to buy the whole kit is JC Whitney for $629.95 with a $14.00 ground shipping through UPS. I thought the same way, but I bought it and I just bought the 4" Superlift rear lift springs to go with the spindle set up. So that I can do a 1" TT, and have 4" all the way around for my 32" tires. Any more questions just ask.

LIVE FROM BAGHDAD, IRAQ!:cool:

I've got a 2000 - does that make any diff?

You can buy just the spindles. You just have to find a shop that sells Explorer Pro Comp parts or Fabtech parts and tell them all you want is the spindles. Thats how I got mine I just bought the spindles nothing else.

Also Fabtech makes a spindle lift for the Explorer.
Both the Fabtech and Explorer Pro Comp spindles will fit your Explorer.

GIJOE I wish I known that in the beginningbefore I bought the lift. I asked the cutomer service via e-mail and they told me they do not sell the pieces individually, they explained it to me saying they were not going to be responsible for ill parts swapped together to make an improper lift and could cause accidents. Thanks for the info and sorry for the bad info I gave. I did though buy the superlift spring pack that you suggested for the rear. Boy I wish I knew about the spindles only. How much did you pay for the spindles only?:(

I payed $500 for both spindles.
You could try selling the add-a-leafs and maybe get some of your money back.

THANKS GIJOE FOR THE INFO. WHEN I RETURN HOME MAYBE I WILL TRY AND SELL THEM OR JUST GO AHEAD AND KEEP THEM FOR A FUTURE MODIFICATION. CAN NOT CRY OVER SPILLED MILK CAN WE.

LIVE FROM BAGHDAD, IRAQ.:cool:

Conig- Fabtech says the spindles work on 98-01.
But they should work on the 96.
You can try Explorer Pro Comp spindles also.

Do you need extended brake lines when you put on the lift spindles? Im looking at some from TSliftkits.com for my 2001 X 2wd. I call and the lady said some people needed the lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm

well, i went to the fabtech website, and they dont even have ones for explores, but for rangers. are they the same? and will they fit my 98 Xlt? Im thinking about getting those and doing an SOA in the back since i found spring perches for 10 bucks and been welding for a few years now.:D

Back