302 Conversion in a 94 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Conversion in a 94 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for me to live upto my name ( Sorta, anyway ) My money definately "GoesFast" out of my wallet.

My conversion project is now underway. I have actually spent money.

I have a local Speed Shop doing the work and I am being active in teh process.

The goal. A 302 F.I. motor and an AOD automatic tranny.
The motor will give me about 275 HP at the crank. Should have plenty of torque. The AOD has a 2.48 first gear and a a 33% overdrive in forth. With 5.13 gears ( Yep ) and 35" tires I'll be turning 2300 RPM at 70 mph. 2100 RPM if I have 4.56 gears. The tranny is fully locked in 3rd & 4th gear so no slippage and little heat.

Price.. So Far

Motor & Shipping $1600
306 CI, freshly built plus a few extras thrown in for the conversion. Double hump Oil Pan,All Accessories mounts,Hi Flow water pump, etc.

Tranny $1300
Rebuilt No Core charge Over the counter. Included a Torque Converter and the linkage to fit a late Model V8 explorer for shifting.

Advanced Adapters $575
I got the 50-8404 9" adapter. This includes the new outut shaft so the T-fer case will fit. Should put the Transfer Case about 1" maybe 1/12" longer than stock. My drive shaft was very close to being to short after the 5.5" lift so I may not need a new back shaft. The front one may be in trouble....

Pictures will be shown we the action starts. It will be about 5 to 6 weeks before the Motor & tranny are finished.

Anyone have a cheap $300 car for sale? I'm tired of walking....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GoFast---The setup is soundin better and better!
Keep up the good work!
Pete

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Fifty bucks says that when Gofast gets this all installed it won't be long before he goes the rest of the way. I know him. The thought of a monster lifted BigDawg Explorer with decent 1/4 times, now THAT would be a toy.

Nitrous?
Turbo or Blower?
Divorce?

Stay tuned, fans, this will be fun in about a half year....

Smog

While I am at it, I guess I will ask one more question. I believe you mentioned that some of the best swaps are engines from 89-93 Mustangs. I might be mistaken, but I thought that some smog laws stated that the engine had to be the vehicle year or newer. Have you checked into Smog laws or do you not have to worry about that in your area? If anyone knows, I was also wondering about the engine. If the law exists regarding year of the engine, does it have to be the entire engine, or just the fuel injection and smog equipment. IE a block and heads from an 89, and the injection and such from a 95.

Okay...one more question...headers. Did you find some that will fit, and depending (I guess the 89-93 might not have had the O2s) on the injection and computer, did you find some with O2 location already drilled.

Sounds like an awesome swap. Let us know how it comes along. Good luck!!!!

Smog stuff

Great question.

Check with your local DMV people to see what they require.

I'm going to be completely smog legal. Not sure what they check, but the block is decked and any markings will be gone. ( If they stamp them in the same place that chevy used too ) All the top end intake stuff is going to be new 2000 model stuff. I'm going with Trick Flow intake set-up. The computer and wiring harness are 89 to 93 stuff. Headers are going to ceramic coated shorties. I'll have to integrate the O2's downline somehow. Not sure if the Mustang uses before the cat and after the cat O2's? I'm thinking they use only 2 O2's and they are after the cats. I'm planning on true duals with Highflow cats.

BTW...Don't bet with Gerald. He has inside info ( Knows me to well ) The Turbo is a possability down the road. Nitrous is fun but the long term cost of filling the bottle's make it more expensive. Supercharger add's most of it's power as the RPM's go up. I need the grunt to kick in full by 2500 RPM's at the latest. Divorce is very low odds. I'm doing all this with full consent and complete disclosure. Almost 17 years of marriage now and believe me it's much easier to open and upfront about money and what you want to buy than to try and cover it up.

Blowers

Rob,
The H/P to RPM ratio you speak of is true for Turbos as well as Centrifugal style of blowers, Vortech etc.

A roots type blower brings in the power at a much lower rpm than a Vortech type. Roots Blowers provide a more constant boost pressure through-out the RPM range. Not enough boost on the low end... change pulleys.

The BBK V6 set up, so they claim, brings in 70% boost pressure by 1800 RPM. My experience with other roots/Eaton/4-14/71 type blowers makes me accept their claim as fact.
The only Centrifugal unit I care for is the ATI Procharger, but... still no bottom end.

I'm curious as to where either system, or a turbo would fit in the engine compartment without hood, inner fender, or body lift modifications.

But like the saying goes "Where theres a will theres a way". Keep The Faith Bro... And treat the better half to something nice, it do help in the long run.

Weekly Update.

Just a weekly update on the behind the scenes action.

I just picked up the complete Fule Injection set-up for my motor. I had a friend that just happend to have the complete intake, Fuel Rails, Injectors, wiring Harness, Computer, distributer, Throttle Body, and Mass air sensor.

Todays good deal $175.00

I now have 2 computers so I have a back-up just in case.

Other news, About 1 week away from having the tranny done.

About 3 weeks away from having the motor done and delivered.

Concerns for this week. Exhaust. I have ordered Hi Flow cats and 2 Flow something mufflers. My bother-in-law runs a muffler shop so I'll get whatever he sends. Going to have duals with 2 1/2 inch pipes on this machine. Still trying to figure out the routing. I'll crush anything that goes out the back, so My ideal set-up would be to have the turn outs behind the wheels. I may have them both exit on the same side too. Still not sure.

Other junk....

I am now driving the ugliest truck in the world. It's a loaner from a friend ( $200, unlimited use )but, it is sure ugly. Picture later. I still get sick looking at it.

Hey Rob, anything new with the swap? Just checking to see whats up, and what all has been done,a nd anything else you got.

Rob, I dont know if you ever saw where my duals are coming out on my 92, but they are coming out right behind each rear wheel. I had them coming out straight out the rear and when we all went to 380 i smashed them. Since you have a lift on your truck there is no need for your spare to be underneath so you have plenty of room to run them to both sides and go right in between the frame and leaf springs. Setup works great on mine.

The ugly donor truck has to be a chevy or a foreign POS. Those are the only possiblities... :)

Good luck on the swap and keep us posted. I have been seriously considering this swap as I can't seem to keep my truck out the tranny shop (7 times since last Nov...). Make sure to take a lot of pics too.

Re: Small update!

Originally posted by Gofast
Located a computer for the 302 from a fellow board member.

Glad you liked it. I see you now have two computers. Remember, I got the one from the '89 model because, according to rangerpowersports.com, "The most 'aggressive' with the timing and spark computer is the one installed in the '89 automatics. Ford did this since the automatics were much slower than the 5-speeds, and this was one way to speed 'em up a tad."

Glad you reminded me of that difference. I have a 90 model Auto computer too. When this is fired up it will spend some time on the Dyno being custom tuned for best numbers. I think this might change the basic programing. If that's true I could use either Computer if they are really changing the timing and fuel curves...Still got a lot to learn here.

Nothing new yet on the conversion. Waiting on the tranny and motor.

BTW, I may have become a headcount casualty in the merger my company is going through. Good severance package though.

Gas Milage you expect with the finished project

Just curious what kind of gas milage you expect. Would it have been easier to take a 302 out of a newer explorer? Is it a price issue, or would all the components not match up? Just curious because a friend of mine just totalled his and it should be up for sale soon! My explorer has the 5.0 and it only has 210 stock, but about 230 now. It is still a dog. I hope the difference with the transfer case and more horses makes a difference. I would like to know how the driving will be with that kind of power on a coil front end, lifted, and soo much power. Good luck, I'll be watching, taking notes, and cheering you on!

Any Updates Yet?

I've been following your post with interest. I hope to do the same kind of swap to my '91 Explorer. Are there any updates yet?

Update....

OK, small update on the project.

Dropped off the new AOD with the Advance Adapters kit installed. My transfercase should bolt right up with the tranny now.

The V6 and all the associated stuff is now removed.

This clears the way to start installing the new 302. Just a note here, I opted for the Mustang 302 because for $1500 it was completely rebuilt with new parts. I was also able to get a few "Hot Rod" parts installed to increase torque.

Before we start the 302 install, I am having the new gears and Locker installed. Should have this done this week.

I'm hoping to get 15 mpg when this is done. It will be tuned on the Dyno, so it will be interesting to see my torque numbers. Also hoping to have the truck running by Thanksgiving.

More news when I have it. Good stuff starting soon.

Thanks Rob

Can't wait to see and hear the beast when she's done! This is going to be an awesome project!!

Whoa! I am impressed! That's a hell of alot of work to be doing at once! I'm awaiting pictures, as well as I am curious if you'll have a list once the project is complete as to what you used in all aspects of your project....It's down the road for me....But hey, I can plan ahead can't I?
Thanks,
Pete

Gofast--Where's the project at? I see you say that you're getting the adapters to match the tranny to b/w transfer case. I would assume you're talking about the stock one, which I hear is weak. Is there a reason you're not going with something that has the strenght of a dana 300 or NP 205 or something like that? Or is it because you don't want to change the mounts or drive shafts? Just lookin for an update!
Thanks,
Pete

Good question Pete.

It's all about the Money. I didn't/couldn't afford to swap T-fer cases at this time. When it blows I'll put something stronger in there. Also, as you stated it let me avoid the driveshaft issues too.

Still waiting on my crate motor to arrive. Should be here this week ( or last week or the week before ). They say patentance is a virtue, but whoever said that did not see the loaner vehicle I have to drive. I'm ready to get my truck back.

Haha! Very understandable.....I hope everything else is goin good!
Pete

Small Steps....

OK, Another small step. I ordered the Detroit Locker for the rearend. Yea!

Also, Got the Stud Girdle Kit for the rearend too. It's a kit from SVO. You replace the main caps with studs. Really adds to the strength of the rear end. The housing is a T/A girdle housing and it also adds some strength. $189 for the kit and housing cover. Mustang guys are running tons of HP through the 8.8 rear with gear ratios of 5.13 for thier 1/8 & 1/4 mile cars. Lots of driveline shock in those cars too. We'll see how well it holds up.

Order the ceramic coated shorty headers today as well! $170 or so for that.

And special thanks to Rick for the rear disc brake set-up that I purchased from him.

Next Item will be the radiator....

Motor should ship this week according to the builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back