302 Conversion. It's started. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Conversion. It's started.

Well, I guess I'll call this the offcial start.

Truck broke on Sept 27 , 2000. Had a few bad experiances between now and then. Did lot's of research and am still reading everything I can on swaps.

So here's a couple of pictures to start the project.

The crate motor, No really it is......

View

Should I leave it Blue? or paint it black and add some chrome?

View

Anyway, It's a start. Hopefully next weekend, if the weather permits I'll sit it in the truck.

[Edited by Gofast on 01-06-2001 at 08:24 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops....

Thats what happens when you forget to move your pictures to a different folder. I went to post the links and realized that they wern't in the folder I wanted....so I had to go back and edit the link to show the pictures.

Anyway, Here they are....

Thanks

Cool! Is it a rebuild or completely new?

I'd say to paint it a different color. Black would be good, but what about a Ford blue? Then dress it up a bit, how about these valve covers?:
397M6582A460.jpg
How much did the motor cost you? What is the approximate HP going to be? What kind of heads did they use? What intake are you going to use? Give us some details.

Geez that's a really clean lookin' garage. Didn't look that way a couple of hours ago when I was there....

Got busy.....

Got busy and did some cleaning in the garage.

Motor details.

306 C.I. it's a rebuild with ARB bolts & Forged Pistons.
It's got E6 heads which are more for torque than high flow, high HP stuff. It's got an RV cam, and I have no idea what the specs are on the cam. According to the builder it should dyno at about 300 HP in this set-up.

Intake is a factory H.O. intake from a 90 something stang. I got the computer, complete F.I. set-up and harness plus the MAS for $175 from a friend in Dallas.

I think I'll paint it black and put the SVO vavle covers on it.

Glad to hear you are back at it again Gofast,
I would make it some kind of color you can see, not just black. How will people see all your hard work if it is just black. Blue is good, but then anything will go good with white.
Looking forward to seeing it at Moab.

I would paint it Ford blue too. I don't like the current light blue. I also like those chrome valve covers Rock posted. I would go with those or some Edelbrock(sp?) ones. Good luck and be sure to take lots of pictures!

i have my stock 4.0 painted ford blue with some dress-up parts and it looks sweet .

hey cmartin91
where'd you get the dress up parts
i want to get some

Gofast--Do you have any pics of the empty engine compartment....Id just like to see what the whole thing looks like with out the motor or any other parts....I would just assume that you've gotta have some pictures lying around somewhere.
Thanks,
Pete

View while listening to the Rocky theme.

In the beginning.....

View

Maybe the Jaws theme would be better? Anyway, we creep ever so slowly towards the open hood....

View

And at last....The engine compartment. What a mess! Lot's of wiring to straighten out, not to mention the A/C system.

View

My battery died while taking these. I'll snap some with better details later. I get very depressed everytime I look under the hood though.

Hey Gofast,
If you a thinking of changing the color this would be a good time to paint the engine compartment since there is nothing in there.
So far there is PURPLE, ORANGE, so you could go with pink, yellow, or something like that.

Wow, cool...Thanks :) Looks like you're progressing, or so I hope!
Pete

My suggestions....

#1 go with the idea of pressure washing the engine compartment
#2 paint the engine compartment (I say chrome paint)
#3 paint that engine FORD BLUE (it adds HP just making it that color)
#4 go with those valve covers
#5 go ahead and splurge and buy all of the high performance parts you can find (you don't want to wish you had when you're done)
#6 GOOD LUCK!!

Ready for some Chrome.

Originally posted by rock883
Then dress it up a bit, how about these valve covers?:
397M6582A460.jpg

Rock883, Do you have any part numbers or pricing and order info on those Valve covers. I'm ready to buy them and can't find them on the SVO site.

Thanks Rob

Gofast, go to http://www.Jegs.com pt# 397-M6582-A460 $106.99 Ford Motorsport Polished Aluminum Valve Covers which are the exact same as above. If the part number does not work, do a search on Jegs for "Valve Covers" and you will find the ones named above.

[Edited by Brian1 on 01-14-2001 at 09:09 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...gotta get on the email update list for this thread :)

Gofast-
your other thread said that you got a new tranny- what did you end up with? I hope you bought a really big shoehorn while you were at it, it's gonna be tight :)

way to go with all this! good luck!

Aaron

Back