31" tires, 3.27 gears, 2 inch lift... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31" tires, 3.27 gears, 2 inch lift...

A couple of questions for you guys...

I'm installing a 2 inch lift (shackles/F150 coil seats). I have 3.27 gears. I want to run 31x10.5x15 tires. I'm pretty sure these tires will be kinda big for the stock X wheels, so I'm planning on getting a set of 15x8 steel chrome wheels.

My questions are:

1.Will my speedo be correct with the larger tires, and if not how do I make it correct?

2.How will these tires fit with the 2 inch lift...will there be any fender rubbing?

3.Do I need to re-gear at all?

4.Any suggestions for a decent looking cheap steel chrome wheel?

Thanks!

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1: Speedo will be off by 5% if you're currently running 235/75-15" tires.

2: Tires will fit fine.

3: You don't need to re-gear, but it will probably be a little sluggish.

4: Use your factory rims. 31 x 10.5-15's will fit fine. Quite a few of us run them on factory rims. If you still want new rims, both Dead Link Removed and 4WheelParts carry a decent line. Summit Racing is easier to deal with though.

I'm running 31x10.5x15's with no lift, 3.27 open diffs. I haven't really noticed any reduction in power, but I'll upgrade to 3.73's soon anyway(no such thing as too much power). I've ordered a lot of parts from 4wheelparts.com and have had no problems whatsoever and their tire and wheel package deals seem to be the best way to go for new.

:chug: :chug:

Hey fellas, I have a set of 3.73s for sale. One guy emailed me 2 or 3 days ago but haven't heard from him since. If either of you are interested let me know.

thanks, but got a set of 3.73's in my sport, that I'm gonna put 5.13's in. So free gears for me:D

:chug: :chug:

I was also considering 31's with my 3.27 ls but wanted to know if i would see a drop in mpg or in acceleration. Would 30x9.5's be better? I drive over an hour a day 5 days a week and don't want to lose mpg's.

With 3.27s you're already at the highest gear you'd want to be at. 31s will definitely put a damper on acceleration and MPG.

P.S. 3.73s for sale, cheap. Ready to ship.

Is it better to go 4.10 with 31" tires?

Would my speedo be off if I go that way?

I'm having dilema on 4.10 or 3.73 right now from my 98 Sport 3.27 OHV

Back