31's or 32's with James Duff lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31's or 32's with James Duff lift

Hi, I am not entirely new to the site just didn't post too much, but here is my question: I have enough money now and I am ready for a lift and tires. I'm going to order the James Duff lift tommorrow and the BFG T/A Ko's next week,which size should I go with 31 or 32? Will the 32's make my X go really slow or will I hardly notice it? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much lift are u geitng i have 31s on and there is modertae rubing so it mader waht size lift u r geting

I plan on getting the 2.5 lift from James Duff but I was mostly concerned if you lose much power with 31's or 32's.

i just got my 31 mtrs ihave not noticed that much loss of power depends on the gears you have i have the 3.73ls a lot of them have them but the gears is waht makes the dif

I don't think you'll be able to run 32s with 2.5".
My 32's rubbed, but not any more after I did some trimming.
Every truck is different.
Also, my ex died when I put the 32s on because I have 3.27 open diffs, so it doesn't have much power to begin with. I am installing my 4.10s this weekend, and should find out how much more power there is.

Are you installing the diffs yourself?

Also if I do go with 32's I plan on getting a body lift too.

Well, if you're real concerned with power loss, I'd stick w/ the 2.5" lift and 31's. I didn't notice too much power loss when I got my 31's.

I found out my gear ratio tonight. It is 41 ,I believe that is an open 3.27. I just don't want it to hurt my tranny with at least 31's.

Yeah I would definitely just stick with the 31's with 3.27's. Your tranny will be fine.

Thanks, I'm thinking 31 Baja Claws or BFG T/A Ko's.

I've heard nothing but good things about the BFG's, and plan on getting a set when my current tires wear out.

I think they also last way longer than Baja claws but I love the way Baja claws look, so it just depends on what I hear about them.

Re: power loss. I just installed 31's on my stock (no lift) 94 sport (3.27 gears) and I am having difficulty maintaining speed on hills @ 75mph/5th gear. It will now lose 5mph on gentle hills and 10mph or more on steeper hills. Going to a 3.73 gear ratio should help correct this, right?

It should, I want to regear but I'm not sure if it will be worth it with 31's and 3.27 gears.

IslandSport94 said:
Re: power loss. I just installed 31's on my stock (no lift) 94 sport (3.27 gears) and I am having difficulty maintaining speed on hills @ 75mph/5th gear. It will now lose 5mph on gentle hills and 10mph or more on steeper hills. Going to a 3.73 gear ratio should help correct this, right?

Going from 3.27 to 3.73 won't be worth it. It'll help, but it won't be worth it. If you're going to regear, you might as well go to 4.10 in case you want to move up to 32's or 33's later.

I am running 32's with 3.27's and a mnual 5 spd and it sucks!! I installed 1.5" lift coils and spacer up front, AAL and shackles in rear and just completed a 2" BL yesterday but that was to get clearance for an offraod bumper. The 32's cleared just fine.

I have front and rar 3.73's in carriers already but I also have some 4.10's and 4.56's so I just need to decide what I want in the end.

Plus now that I have the BL on I think I want larger tires.

AlaskanJack said:
...I have front and rar 3.73's in carriers already but I also have some 4.10's and 4.56's so I just need to decide what I want in the end...
Hey Kurt, are you installing your own ring and pinion or did you find the axles with the appropriae gearing?

Find axles??? NO! the 3.73's were from my buddies Ex when he installed 4.56's. The 4.10's are coming out of my trail Ex the 4.56's I will have to install. So to answer your question I will be installing the gears and carriers in the rear but will install a set up pig in the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry Kurt I heard someone burried lots of D35 and 8.8 with 4.10s and 4.56s along with Jimmy Hoffa in Palmer... I thought you stumbled onto it.

Most people tell me to get gears installed by a shop as special equipment along with knowledge is required..

Back