32's on stock rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

32's on stock rims?

Hey everyone...have searched and searched but have not seen 32x11.50s (BFG's) on stock 15's. I have a 98 2wd, and just want the look of 32's. I have a Wrangler:) with 32's and it looks great. Anyone have any suggestions? BTW, I am aware of the flatness associated with the two...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running 33"x12.5"x15" Tires on my Stock Rims. They look awesome.

Actually this past weekend I went playing in the Desert and aired them down to about 17psi. They Rocked!

I really felt that I could not get stuck! I just floated across the sand. I went through some stuff that everyone had to get on it with. Myself I just went through without any trouble.

If you want to know it they will fit on stock rims then yes.

Without any lift? Torsion Twist? or Stock height?

Torsion Twist I think they would but if you do any Off-Roading expect them to Rub. If you stay On-Road you should be OK.

Stock Height I don't think they will, they may fit in the holes but every bump and turn they would rub!

Alto, Awesome...thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a pic of your 33's by chance? Plan on doing all this within the next 5-10 days, so want all the bases covered. Thx again

Give me about 5 minutes and check Meet Trinity. I'll up load them now!

check out the feature page in my sig. I have 33's with 2.5" of suspension lift and a bunch of trimming ;) The tires will fit on stock rims without a problem. Though with the stock backspacing (4.5), you'll probably rub on the front swaybar when turning. No biggie. You'll need at least 2-2.5" of lift to fit them without trimming. But every truck is different, and you may need as much as 4" without any trimming. If you look around the site (and search feature), you'll see that you can get an easy 2" lift for about $50: torsion twist and new shackles. More than that and you'll need a body lift or $$$ suspension lift.

Good luck, and welcome!

Thanks for the info...I ordered the WarShackles the other day, just waiting. Gonna tweak the Torsion as far as it goes to even it out. Don't really wanna go with the body lift...$$$$. We just had a baby:eek: Should be o.k. with TT/Shackles, right?

Hey Alto
Got it...thanks. Your X looks real good. I now have a good idea. Thanks again.

Ok it was more than 5 minutes.

There are some pictures of the 31" & 33". Glad I could help out!

hey alto, can i check out those tire pics too?

im looking to put big tires on factory rims too (with lifts), but i figure if i run into width rubbing problems (i.e. sway bar) i could always put spacers on to imitate different back-spaced rims. right??

is back-spacing the same as offset? alec, you say backspacing is 4.5, but i noticed on the back of my rim it says "offsetting 12"??

and what is splat?????

Got my shackles today at 1:00, had them on and torsion twist done within hours. Took the X down and had the tires mounted (32x11.50's) on the stock rims. It looks absolutely great. Trimmed bout 1/2" off the corner. Couldn't ask for anything more. Looks awesome. Thanks to all on the site for the input...wouldn't/couldn't have done it without the info...

nevermind, i figured out my offset/backspacing question? don't you have to get an alignment after a TT? is an alignment only for the front? how much did it cost?

check out my sig for pics with 32's 2"bl 2" tt. i know i could go 33's with little trimming. i want to so bad. if i go to 33X12.50 i would get some new wheels (only 8" and stock backspacing.)
also
Dead Link Removed
for pic prior to body lift.

good luck!

Alto,
What kind of rear bumper tire carrier is that? I am looking at some options that will be upgradeable in the future but won't break the bank immediately...

Thanks!

Hey CJ1975, I am interested in taking on a project similar to yours. I have a few questions though because I am still new to this. Did you actually get 2 " of lift from the warrior shackles to match the 2" TT, or did you use an add a leaf as well? If I were to get 32" tires would I need to do any trimming for some intermediate offroading and where exactly do I trim from and how? If you have any pics of your explorer after the lift and new tires I would like to see what it looks like. Thanks a lot.
Greg

4x4 + TT = front end death after 100k on TT everything front end except diffy assembly failed.

Really? Did u get a front end allignment or did you twist the torsion bars too far?

Greg L said:
Really? Did u get a front end allignment or did you twist the torsion bars too far?

2 alignments after TT over the years. my first alignment was $130 (right after TT.) second was $65. yes i drove it hard. yes i wheeled it often. approx 1.75" of TT no where near max. i had close to .5" of adjuster bolt i could have twisted. maticulous maintenance... rotated tires often, replaced ball joinst, cv axles, cleaned everything with hose everytime after i wheeled. but the cv joints couldnt handle it and once they let go the wheel bearings went. replaced 3 sets of bearing/hubs and 4 cv axles.
3fd9a173c.jpg

another thing to think of is that when you do the TT you decreasing your effective down travel which means more tipping due to drop bottoming out faster. you know what i mean?

IMO - i would go with BL to put tires on and leave the suspension stock except for shock upgrade. it will ride easier and parts will last much longer. based on my own experience i know there are 10,000 guys here who love their TT "lift" so it can sound contradicting.

Thanks for the advice. I am still new to this and am willing to listen to everyones testimonial. For now though because of lack of funds and the fact that I don't 4-wheel that often I think I will go with a TT, and possibly try and replace the rear leaf spring pack with a pack from the rear of an F150, which I'm sure you are already familiar with. I am still undecided on the back, but this appears to be a good fix for a small lift. Finally I will try and have 31" X 10.5 mounted on my stock rims. I will definitely have a front end allignment after my new tires are mounted. If you have any other advice I would appreciate it.
Greg

Back