351m ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

351m ?

351w ?

My dad's friend (racer) has an old 351W engine in his shop and since he is about to move, he wants to sell it. He hasn't given a price yet, but I have a few questions first. I know the bottom halves of the 351W/C are the same as the 302, but what about the deck height/width? I've seen the pic of the 4.6 compared to the 5.0 too many times, but anyone got a pic of the 351 next to the 302.

The reason I'm askin is I only have one year left to pay on it and I wanna be different with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same site I found. ;)

Also, look in a Ford Motorsport Catalog. I have a 2003 catalog in front of me. Page 10 -

5.8/351/392 CID SMALL BLOCK - 430 HP GT-40 Aluminum Head Ford Racing Performance Crate Engine Assembly.

Anyway - Choppin - From what I have looked at and what a friend of mine tried - the only way the 351's will go in is if you strip everything else out of the engine bay. No heat, air, washer bottles, etc, etc. Next you have to change the steering shaft position and add another u-joint to get it out of the way. Then a set of custom headers have to be built to run outside the frame and come back to the inside. The a/c condensor has to be removed and the radiator has to be moved and remounted farther forward.

There was another problem with the clearance at the firewall, but we did not get into that. Once we hit the front accessory bracket and radiator clearance problems, we stopped. The other problem was going to be the hood clearance as bob said. He was going to have a fiberglass hood made with a raised center and opening, but we never got that far...

Hope this helps. On a side note, in April, I will be in Jackson visiting my parents. They live a couple miles off 81 and 212 crossing. I would like to meet up with you for lunch one day if you have time. I'll PM closer to coming out when I have dates and times... :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow Cobra, my best friend lives at the intersection of 81 and 212 in Jackson. Small world it is. Yea shoot a PM next you're in the area.

They live off Jackson Lake Rd. Turn on 81 towards McDonough for about 1.5-2 miles, then take a left on Jackson Lake Rd. About 2 miles down on the left...

I'll be coming to pickup the X, then driving it back to SLC. Will probably be around the week of April 11th. If you need a good place to get parts, I can introduce you to the guy that has my X and is doing the engine for me (long story), and my best friend is the parts manager at Spartan Lincoln Mercury in Morrow. He used to be at Courtesy Ford, but left a few years ago. He can help you out on anything you need....

Same here - October '96. :D

Awww...best friends for life now, yall ahve so much in common. :p ;)

I saw get a Dodge motor and throw it in the Explorer...like a good ole hemi. ;)

I still need to come take a ride in your truck sometime, I should be back up in Atl this next weekend, maybe then.

GaSouthern1 said:
Awww...best friends for life now, yall ahve so much in common. :p ;)

I saw get a Dodge motor and throw it in the Explorer...like a good ole hemi. ;)

I still need to come take a ride in your truck sometime, I should be back up in Atl this next weekend, maybe then.

You saw, huh.... :p

Maybe Choppin will actually meet up unlike someone else I know.............. :D He won't wait until after I leave and say "We should have met up..."

j/k Southern - you should come up and meet us for lunch one day. I never could find anyone when I was there, now everyone is in Atlanta... :rolleyes:

However big you can stroke out a 351.. DO IT! :D

You still won't be as fast as me though. :cool: :p

If you wanna get technical, the small/big block terms came from chevy. We, the users, are the ones who originally started designating Ford engines as small/big blocks. In reality- they are "different" blocks, not really small or big block. :p

My own personal opinion (from previous ownership)- the 351M/400M's are boat anchors unless you throw alot of work and money at them. For the physical outer dimensions and sheer weight/mass.... you might as well go for a 460. Also bear in mind the 351M shares the same tranny pattern as the 429/460, so you will need to do something with the tranny.

In short, a 351W will fit an Explorer engine bay alot better than a 351M, and the 351W fits like crap from what ive seen. :D

What will fit in my 5.0 DOHC w/Vtec? Will a 502 small block fit?

I'm putting a 351M into my Ford rig.

Though it's an 85 Bronco :D

Big/Small Block. Yes, these are Chevy terms. Though if you think about it, 351W/C are small, 351M is kinda "*******". Half it's characteristics are 351C, half are 400/460.

But who really cares? This discussion just sounds like too many people are insecure with their 'attributes'. Go buy a red Corvette convertible.

CDW- First and final warning. Disagreement and debate are fine, but you were totally out of line in how you incited a personal argument with the other members in this thread simply because you felt the information presented was incorrect. Right or wrong you have no right to speak to fellow members that way. Any further behavior like that will earn you a 2 week ban.

Carry on.

Back