• Register Today It's free!

373 or 410 gears

exploraholic

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer
I have a 99, 5.0 AWD. I need a new front axle. Should I stick with the same 373 gears in it now or go to 410"s? Will I notice a difference since the rear axle is 373? I have 31" tires. I'm not concerned with towing or off roading, but I do like speed. If I change to 410's, will I need different hubs because of ABS or different rotors or brake calipers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you cannot change the front diff to 4.10 without changing the rear diff to 4.10
the jump from 3.73 to 4.10 is hardly noticeable, not worth paying $$$ to do
If you can get front diff and a rear axle with lower miles cheap, then it maybe worth installing.
4.10 was stock in alot of v6 powered explorers and explorer sports

The hubs rotors calipers etc are all the same, the ring and pinion ratio does not change any of those parts.
4.10 differentials from a 96-01, 02-04 sport or sport trac will bolt into your truck, however you will lose your rear traction bars as only the v8's came with those

with 31" tires 4.10 gears front and rear would be a nice upgrade, but not worth paying $2500 for (to have a shop regear)
you can find front and rear diff at wrecker for under $1000 it maybe worth the swap

If you can get front diff and a rear axle with lower miles cheap, then it maybe worth installing.

The hubs rotors calipers etc are all the same, the ring and pinion ratio does not change any of those parts.
4.10 differentials from a 96-01, 02-04 sport or sport trac will bolt into your truck, however you will lose your rear traction bars as only the v8's came with those

with 31" tires 4.10 gears front and rear would be a nice upgrade, but not worth paying $2500 for (to have a shop regear)
you can find front and rear diff at wrecker for under $1000 it maybe worth the swap
Thank you for the info!

Say Jamie, have you welded any of the traction bar mounts onto a V6 rear yet?

I thought of it ages ago when I considered swapping a V8 into my 99 V6(which is a 4.10). Of course now I changed plans again, with the 3.08's. Did you know Ford has obsoleted the 3.08 gear now? I wonder what the big deal is with a 3.15:1 or 3.11:1 of a newer Ford 8.8, it should be the same thing for that minute difference.

Listen to @410Fortune . He's been doing this, and he is right.

Now, as the torque-obsessed creature that I am, I'm going to say, if you get a matched set of 4.10 axles WITH the limited-slip differential in good shape... do it! You'll feel it at the gas station, but it's worth it for the LS.

I have not but I know many people have it is easy to snatch the bars off a v8 and weld up some tabs on the axle tube
On my personal trucks I have always removed them they limit the flexy rear end of the explorer! better for my use

Years and years ago I paid to have my truck Regeared from 3.73 to 4.10 it was not worth it! I should have gone 4.56 for my big tires
The change between 3.7 and 4.1 is not much if you think of the size of pie it takes up on a clock face (3:45 vs 10 after 4) is not much to justify the expense

Now with my old 96 explorer and any other ranger based vehicle I own I can swap them to 4.10 differentials because I crush the trucks thay have 4.10 gearing lol, so I just swap diff and axles

Most v8 trucks are 3.73 limited slip rear like 999999.9% of them I have seen only a few with open diff and that is only because of this forum

Back