4.0 blown head gasket. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 blown head gasket.

I highly recommend K-Seal! I keep a bottle in the garage just in case.

KSEAL ST5501D Permanent Coolant Leak Repair 8 oz FIX Gasket Radiator K-SEAL | eBay

IMG_9710.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hunter, can you help me. I’m low on funds, but don’t know what I’m looking at. I have coolet at the top of my vehicle. And I don’t know what I’m look at. I know my head gasket is blown I’m thinking.
What should I be looking at? Like what parts do I need to take off to get to the heads?

3eb18406-9da0-45f3-b400-cab984ba0466.jpg
Where Houston finds remodelers you can trust.
The locals favorite. Discover how we turn dreams into reality.​

What should I be looking at? Like what parts do I need to take off to get to the heads?

I did get some and pour some in, but I think it isn’t working for me.

FD9D3629-7A0F-4D96-9D35-873AEFAC226F.jpeg

I'm in the middle of a 4.0L rebuild and I posted a couple of videos on YouTube. I'm editing part-3 now which deals with what your looking for. I hope to be uploading it Sunday at around 4:00pm I would try the k_seal first and if it works it will give you time to get the tools and parts you will need to do the head job.

Sry I missed the part where you said you already tried K-Seal

Is that leak between the heads in the valley?

I'm in the middle of a 4.0L rebuild and I posted a couple of videos on YouTube. I'm editing part-3 now which deals with what your looking for. I hope to be uploading it Sunday at around 4:00pm I would try the k_seal first and if it works it will give you time to get the tools and parts you will need to do the head job.

Sry I missed the part where you said you already tried K-Seal

Is that leak between the heads in the valley?

I’m learning about vehicles as I attempt repairs myself, but it does seem like it’s leaking their. I will be looking at your YouTube videos. It does looks like the heads are leaking. Do you have a Twitter or Facebook page?

There are freeze plugs on the top of the motor that could be leaking if its leaking in the valley of the motor.

View attachment 328129
Well I be darn. I never knew freeze plugs was at the top. Interesting 🤔 I wonder if that’s what’s leaking because my Ford Explorer 91 was over heating and bled the air out and change hoses and flushes and it all started when it got cold in the winter. I wish I had helped. I’m an all one person. Can I look while the engine is in the vehicle? Or do it have to be pulled out?

A4975A2B-B232-452B-8E72-5890CFE59B24.jpeg

382BAEC1-5592-4980-B62D-253A97942F7F.jpeg

736F3CB7-E538-4065-8DE5-0C045FE8092D.jpeg

I’m learning about vehicles as I attempt repairs myself, but it does seem like it’s leaking their. I will be looking at your YouTube videos. It does looks like the heads are leaking. Do you have a Twitter or Facebook page?
Yea I have a Facebook but I don't use it much. I barely have time to make, edit and post videos on YouTube and still get my projects done.

Facebook: Eddi Current

Well I be darn. I never knew freeze plugs was at the top. Interesting 🤔 I wonder if that’s what’s leaking because my Ford Explorer 91 was over heating and bled the air out and change hoses and flushes and it all started when it got cold in the winter. I wish I had helped. I’m an all one person. Can I look while the engine is in the vehicle? Or do it have to be pulled out?

I bought a wireless Endoscope for work (when there was work) and it saves me a ton of time. You could pull the intake manifold which isn't that bad, gaskets are cheaper than a scope I think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV6X4M4/?tag=serious-20

71T+iDOtWFL._SL1500_.jpg

Yea I have a Facebook but I don't use them much. I barely have time to make, edit and post videos on YouTube and still get my project done.

Facebook: Eddi Current
Okay, yea I’m interested in your project too maybe it could help me with this situation. If I move the Upper Intake do I have to drain the oil?

Okay, yea I’m interested in your project too maybe it could help me with this situation. If I move the Upper Intake do I have to drain the oil?
No. I think just the coolant. This is my first time with this Ford 4.0LV6, I'm learning as I go as well.

The pictures I posted earlier. That’s where the leak is. Does that look like that’s where the head gasket is located?
It's too hard to tell, how about going to the parts store and renting a coolant PSI tester. Fill the system up with water, put pressure on it and see if you can hear or see the leak.

No. I think just the coolant. This is my first time with this Ford 4.0LV6, I'm learning as I go as well.
At least I did drain it already. I wish I could just pay you to do my gasket replacement. Too be honest I thought the head gasket where a little lower of the leak that I had posted, but I’m not sure I need a real Manuel.
It's too hard to tell, how about going to the parts store and renting a coolant PSI tester. Fill the system up with water, put pressure on it and see if you can hear or see the leak.
Good idea okay I will try that. Thank you so much for helping me and I hope your project goes well.

No sure about the 90's model, but it could be a leaking thermostat housing?

4.0L_Thermo-Housing.0.png

Yea I believe mine is the whole one, but I rather for it to be that than a head gasket problem.
Yea I believe mine is the whole one, but I rather for it to be that than a head gasket problem.
No sure about the 90's model, but it could be a leaking thermostat housing?

View attachment 328134
I found out where it’s leaking at, but I’m not sure still what could be leaking in this area. The part that is circled is what’s green with coolant. Can anyone help!? Thank you much appreciated.

CE990AF7-8D07-46F2-8C48-20A1EFC5A717.jpeg

This forum is strange, I can't post or sent messages for 24hrs? I hit a limit? WTF?
It is strange. Yes, I do need help. I’m so clueless I really don’t know what to take off, but I think too of my over heating problem I think it was my thermostat. I also, see the leak and it’s coming from the top part of the manifold area on the side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is strange. Yes, I do need help. I’m so clueless I really don’t know what to take off, but I think too of my over heating problem I think it was my thermostat. I also, see the leak and it’s coming from the top part of the manifold area on the side.

46C98CE3-8373-4E41-AE23-EC3D87542D1E.jpeg

10D21A9C-FEA2-4DB0-BFA3-38E2ABC870EA.jpeg

4E97991A-9FF9-47B2-A8CB-C7862D24E077.jpeg

Back