• Register Today It's free!

4.0 blown head gasket.

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
So Im pretty sure my ohv 4.0 has a blown head gasket. It leaks coolant from the back of the block. there is milky oil on the oil cap. and theirs water coming out of the exhaust pipe. I need a quick fix. what do you recommend? and yes ik ik the right way is to get the heads checked and new gaskets but i don't have the funds. Im going to try some liquid head gasket repair and if that doesn't work im going to part the explorer out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand cash-tight, I have been too poor to own a car several times. I think you already understand the ramifications, but in case someone else trips over this:

You may have some success with the products. I suspect you will have to use them more than a few times, and each time, you are going to compromise the cooling system a little bit more. Over the course of months, this turns from a bad head to a vehicle that is not worth saving later. In any case, I would not drive this car out of town at least out of affordable towing range.

Incidently, there was an interesting Mythbuster several years ago that dealt with products and myths for stopping a radiator leak. An egg ended up being the most effective, if I recall. Does that mean it works on head gasket? I have no idea. I might try it.

I don't know how the car dealers/junkyards are where you are. Here, there are plenty of small used dealers with 10-20 cars, and if it were me, here, I might just drive it down, disclose the leak, and see if they have anything with 4 wheels that will be reliable transportation that they would do on a straight trade. If you could do that, then you still may have a viable vehicle in 6 months. I don't think the X is going to make it that long if you poor Kryptonite in it. Besides, if you part it out, you have the hassle of finding actual buyers, shipping, and all that wonder.

This is just commentary, I think you want to try some chemistry, and I'm fine with that. Best of Luck!!!

Edit: I guess you could part it out after the chemistry finally fails, assuming it works at all, there may be sense in doing it that way.

Edit Edit: What do you absolutely have to have to make a repair? If it is a head gasket, then is it really much more expensive than the chemistry? You may be closer than you think to fixing this, not perfectly, but runnable?

if you are thrifty enough to pull the head(s) there is a product called "Alum-Alloy" or Allum-a-lite or something to that effect. You can use the brazing rods to seal up cracks and then have the head milled if it's the head that's leaking and not the gasket. Otherwise there are heads available from world products and other venders:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m39&_nkw=Ford+4.0L+heads

I really don't think the miracle potions do much accept miraculously empty your wallet.

I'd prolly try eggs before red devil or the like.

if you are thrifty enough to pull the head(s) there is a product called "Alum-Alloy" or Allum-a-lite or something to that effect. You can use the brazing rods to seal up cracks and then have the head milled if it's the head that's leaking and not the gasket. Otherwise there are heads available from world products and other venders:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m39&_nkw=Ford+4.0L+heads

I really don't think the miracle potions do much accept miraculously empty your wallet.

I'd prolly try eggs before red devil or the like.

I have to agree and I have a truck sitting here with an owner in the same boat right now as you low funds to what it needs for repairs.

I have tried the mechanic in a bottle before and all it did for me gave me a bigger head ache and coasted me a lot more. now days I will not use any of that stuff at all and will junk a auto first with knowing at lest some if it may still live on but add the chems and if I see that in a junk yard I will still leave them parts right there in the junk yard. That’s my opinion. have always found fixing it right is cheaper in the long run and in your case pull the heads and see if there creaked if not your luck and may only need them resurfaced and a new set of bolts and gaskets and that really is not that much if you do all the labor of pulling and then reinstalling.

I believe you are well beyond anything that comes out of a bottle. If you can pull the heads and take a look at them, you may just get away with a head gasket set, head bolts and some personnal labor. If you have a pull it yourself near you, just get what you need to get back running. Good luck

so the symptoms point to a head gasket then?

coolant getting in cylinder... I don't think you will know gasket vs head crack vs block crack until you open it up.

X2 as I said dealing with that right now my self low compression one side but when heads were pulled found both heads were creaked. Along with a blown head gasket. Just glad it’s not my truck as doing the job for a family member to save them some cash.

Does anyone think it could be a lower intake gasket? I priced out the gaskets and there pretty cheap i just got a short term job Re signing all the citi-financials around NC. so i should be able to buy the set. Do i need new bolts for the heads or can i reuse them. they are torque to yield right?

Does anyone think it could be a lower intake gasket? I priced out the gaskets and there pretty cheap i just got a short term job Re signing all the citi-financials around NC. so i should be able to buy the set. Do i need new bolts for the heads or can i reuse them. they are torque to yield right?

It's highly recommended to replace head bolts on anything with more than 150k miles. You "CAN" re-use your bolts but the odds of them sealing the head right are kinda slim. The bolts may have stretched over the years with all the hot and cold cycles.

I would lean more towards the head gasket if you have a milky oil cap and coolant out the exhaust.

Depending on the cost see if you can find yourself a motor from a wrecked X on craigslist. I've seen motors go for a few hundred, but I didn't look at any personally so I dunno if they were "quick-fixed" or not. I'd personally prefer to find a wreck that still ran to check the condition of the engine.

I would have to agree with everyone else and say that without opening up the engine and taking a look you will be just guessing. Without doing the job right the first time (new head bolts and new gaskets) you will just run into the problem again very shortly after.

Mr.Cribb has a good idea with the new to you engine but then who says that you don't buy someone else's problem. It the grander scheme of things the most expensive thing to doing a head gasket is just the labor you or someone else is going to put in.

Good luck with the truck! There should be a several write ups on how to replace head gaskets on this forum!

well i think im going to hold off on repairing it. I am working with a private contractor and by the end i should have enough to buy another explorer. Im going to look for a 2 door 5 speed. im sick of autos. and that way i can get a good job and save up and just turn my explorer that has the blown head gasket into a toy.

Turns out it wasnt a blown head gasket.... It DID need intake gaskets, fuel injectors weren't sealing, egr valve had a missing gasket, so did the iac, along with a few vaccum leaks, and the throttle body had a torn gasket. all of that has been fixed and it runs like new.
as far as the coolant leak goes, There was a hose clamp missing causing a leak.

well with all that work did you change the head gaskets as well. everything was apart just an extra couple dozen bolts. i just finished changing the valve seals and head gaskets on my 92 and i find it worth it even though i have a 302 build im going to be starting here shortly for a swap.
random side note in your diary what did you use on your head lights i remember reading it some where but its 11 pages now and i dont wanna sit and read through it all again to find it again. haha

well with all that work did you change the head gaskets as well. everything was apart just an extra couple dozen bolts. i just finished changing the valve seals and head gaskets on my 92 and i find it worth it even though i have a 302 build im going to be starting here shortly for a swap.
random side note in your diary what did you use on your head lights i remember reading it some where but its 11 pages now and i dont wanna sit and read through it all again to find it again. haha

The headlights or the trim around it?

Milky substance under oil cap?

Turns out it wasnt a blown head gasket.... It DID need intake gaskets, fuel injectors weren't sealing, egr valve had a missing gasket, so did the iac, along with a few vaccum leaks, and the throttle body had a torn gasket. all of that has been fixed and it runs like new.
as far as the coolant leak goes, There was a hose clamp missing causing a leak.

what was causing the milky substance under the oil cap??? I am getting that in my 2003 and no otyher symptoms???

what was causing the milky substance under the oil cap??? I am getting that in my 2003 and no otyher symptoms???

could be condensation or water in oil

yo explorer guy did you take it to a mechanic to get everything checked out or did you just go through and check? what did it end up running you for a price? i have the coolant leaking from the back of the block, oil cap is fine and it doesnt blow water out the exhaust so im thinking mine might just be intake gaskets but im not sure.. sorry for bringin back a dead thread.. any insight is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2 as I said dealing with that right now my self low compression one side but when heads were pulled found both heads were creaked. Along with a blown head gasket. Just glad it’s not my truck as doing the job for a family member to save them some cash.
Hunter, can you help me. I’m low on funds, but don’t know what I’m looking at. I have coolet at the top of my vehicle. And I don’t know what I’m look at. I know my head gasket is blown I’m thinking.

Back