4.0 from auto to 5 speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 from auto to 5 speed

I have a guy who is interested in buying my old motor and he asked if he could just bolt up the 5 speed tranny to my 4.0 that came out with the auto. I can't see why it shouldn't bolt up? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes it will.. He just needs to use his old flywheel clutch ect.

USAF, sorry we couldnt do business, I got an A4LD finally, its going in this weekend, so I am doing the exact opposit of what you are talking about.

Now there are a few issues:
1. yes the 5 speed will physically bolt up.
2. You will have to swap out the pedal assembly to one with a clutch pedal (if the truck was previously an auto)
3. He will have to use the 5 speed starter, clutch, and flywheel.
4. there are a few wiring issues (again if the truck was previously an Auto) htere are 5 wires the auto uses that the stick does not. 2 of these come from the computer (pin 51 and 53, shift solenoids), with a manual you can just leave them in there and it will not hurt. No one knows (yet) if a 5 speed computer will comtrol an auto, but we do know a auto computer can control a 5 speed.
5. The 3 position clutch switch will have to be wired in. The electric shift wire will have to be routed to the clutch switch, as do the ignition control and the neautral sensor.

Thats just the basic stuff, converting from a stick to an auto, or from an auto to a stick is fairly easy if you are familiar with these kinds of things.

I cant see why you would want to, the Mazda 5 speed and the hydraulic clutch setup is weak at best. I had a custom A4LD built and got all the parts I need for the conversion mostly from one truck. I am using the floor shifter from an 87 BII, the rest of the stuff comes from a 93 Explorer. This makes it a bolt in affair.

Email me if you need more info....

Pretty good write up 410. I do want to add that i think in #4 that a 5-speed computer will work in an auto put your fuel curves are not going to be right which will probably make the truck have a miss in it.

#5, you don't have to wire any thing. If you crawl up under your dash you will see that wiring harness for the clutch switch already up there. It has a cap and that cap has a purpose. If you take off the cap your truck will not start, it has a couple of pins in it that cross over some cables for an auto to start, just take off the cap and plug it into your starter switch on the clutch and you are good to go!

Happy trails!!

Back