swap from auot to 5 speed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swap from auot to 5 speed

alright... is this even possible? I have the 4.0L OHV with the auto. One of the worst things I hate about the X is it is an auto. Well... It might be up for a $1500 rebuild so I figured what the hell.... maybe I can just make it a 5 speed manual. So... What do you guys think? Is it even possible? How much money are we talking here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know about other guys but my auto kicked the bucket today like literally 10 minutes ago, and i am dead serious about doing the 5 spd swap, there is absolutely NO REASON to rebuild the auto, its a piece. I've read every word form josh on this post word for word, i have money and time and knowledge of how to do this now i'm ready, any other info that yall may know about this swap to help me out would be greatly appreciated, and i have a "short" console so the shifter is not a problem, i just want the damn automatic out of there, sometimes i hate ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh, and by the way....my email addy is mhunt114@yahoo.com please dont hesitate to give me pointers and tips to help me out, hardest part will be gathering all the parts i need.

Be sure and post if you have any problems, i'll help if i can.

have any of you guys been in any new auto-matic sports cars with the "sport'shifters" where you can shift a automatic? hmm.. i think that'd be neat in a X.. does anybody kno if I could do that to my mounty?

Alright everyone, I hope you are sitting down for this............. I want to get rid of my 5sp and make it an automatic! I know the auto trannies suck but so does the 5speed throw out bearings. The darn thing doesn't shift worth a crap. I used all new Ford parts on the last clutch job and shortly after it started getting hard to shift again. I WANT AN AUTO. If anyone is interested in swapping 5speed for an auto let me know and let's see if we can make it work.

I have a 1994 sport 5speed with a $hitload of miles on it but aside from the crummy throwout bearing it is perfect and has had synthetic fluid in it since new. LETS DEAL!

Thanks,
Chad:D

where are you located?

its kinda ironic that you have a bad throwout bearing. when i went to do my clutch, we drove around all day buying all ford parts from 3 different dealers and after spending 12 hrs on a garage floor in the middle of jan in michigan, we decided we didnt have enough tools or knowhow so we put it back together and i took it to the trans shop. i then returned all the unopened brand new ford parts to their respective dealers (it must go back to where it came from), i realized that the gas alone to return the throwout bearing outweighed the cost of the part itself so i ate the cost. somewhere around here i still have it, brand new and in the package. i know that story doesnt help much, but i did happen to see a tranny for 650 bucks on e-bay:

A4LD

BTW...check in the for sale/trade/wanted forums. alot of people want to trade auto for manual, so you may be able to jusp swap with someone.

yo chad, im down. i have the 5r55e auto trans. where do you live? and you have the M5OD-R1, right?

Thanks for the info guys,
BonesDT and xploda01,
I SHOULD be ready in just a couple of weeks to start taking mine apart. With "should" being the stressed word. I am trying to get my Miata sorted out so I will have something to drive while I am down. My problem is that I am using a friends shop to do the swap and I can't tie up his lift waiting for parts. I need to have all of the parts on site and ready to go for the swap. I think this could be a problem?!?!?

I live a little west of Atlanta in Dallas, GA. The shop I want to use is a little north of Atlanta at the Marietta/Woodstock border.

So what will I really need for the swap? I'm thinking: Auto tranny, auto drive shaft, cross brace, Metal cover for 5sp hole in floor, linkage, dash pieces, and auto computer. Does that sound about right?

Do the auto and 5 SP trucks have the same gear ratios?

Thanks for the input here guys. Who ever wants my 5sp stuff just email me at: cecoen(at)bellsouth.net and lets try to work out all of the details.

Thanks,
Chad

The ratios are all the same for the trannies. Unless you have a 2wd, the driveshafts are the same, and i don't see why they'd be different even if it were a 2wd. As long as you the extension housing on the rear of the tranny then you'll be fine. The cross member is the same, not different. You might find that you're going to have to have a new wiring harness which could be very expensive. I don't know that for a fact, but i doubt the manualy explorers have that thing hanging up on the frame anywhere.

the auto and manual trannys have different gear ratios. you can look them up somewhere. probably has something to do with the added torque converter ratio. but it all prob calculates to the same in the end.

James? I tried to email you back but it came back as undeliverable due to my return email address?

Chad

Back