4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

Simmons may be able to supply them separately (IDK) but look on RockAuto under a 2002 Explorer for SOHC. They sell the coolant sender and the coolant sensor at various price points. Note that the clips to hold them in place are sold separately. Tip: Put a little Vaseline on the O-rings before inserting them into the t-stat housing.

Link:
2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L V6 Cooling System Parts | RockAuto

You can get a 5% discount from RA using their discount code in the "how did you hear about us?" box at checkout. Current discount code = 117773113110568785

I tried your link & I don't see part numbers for the TWO clip-in version temp sensors.

Looking at AutoZone:
Grey one- Duralast SU2301

Brown/Red one- Duralast TU330

The top OE connectors, on these clip-on duralast version, look like the same as my 4.0L SOHC but are for the Simmons AutoSports Housing, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clips are the same and the connectors are the same

I know I know. Kind of reviving a dead(?) thread here. But how bout this one guys/gals? It appears to be a mostly one piece.
DORMAN 9021999
Dorman Housing

Eh? Yes, no, maybe?

Oh crap. Maybe this is the wrong place for this. I'm so sorry, I didn't notice this was for 2nd gen.

So you bought one and used it and had a bad experience with it? Can you share what was wrong with it? Thanks.
I'm not the owner of South Main Auto so, haven't really had all those bad experiences with the brand. Yet.
The Austek is gone. Disappeared. SKP is still around. Simmons plus tax and shipping? LOL no.

Maybe this is the wrong place for this. I'm so sorry, I didn't notice this was for 2nd gen.

So you bought one and used it and had a bad experience with it? Can you share what was wrong with it? Thanks.
I'm not the owner of South Main Auto so, haven't really had all those bad experiences with the brand. Yet.
The Austek is gone. Disappeared. SKP is still around. Simmons plus tax and shipping? LOL no.

Maybe this is the wrong place for this. I'm so sorry, I didn't notice this was for 2nd gen.
I have had the Simmons on my sport trac for years with absolutely no problems!

Looking at the aluminum unit Ford made for the Explorer/Mountaineer it looks like a copy. One to one copy? Well its a Dorman amirite? Honestly I have no idea of the quality or fit.
It is a one piece in that the lower housing isn't a 2 piece like all the other aluminum housings I've seen. The Simmons excluded.
The idea would be to use a Motorcraft thermostat and temp sensor and replace the Dorman parts in it.
It uses a threaded sensor which means a different sensor part number. My research says a Motorcraft DY-1156.
And yeah, why not just buy the Simmons. Well, I'm poor. And even after buying the Dorman and changing out those parts its still 50-60 bucks cheaper for me which would pay for the antifreeze and radiator hoses when I flush out the old coolant.

I have had the Simmons on my sport trac for years with absolutely no problems!
I have also had my Simmons T-Stat housing for 2 years without any issues. It's beautifully made and should last forever. I would not put a Dorman part on any vehicle I own unless there was no other choice available. Dorman's stuff is almost always junk. Even when their parts work the fit is usually off.

Just FYI - the clip in sensors are considered more reliable than the screw in - I used a motorcraft plastic one and upgraded to the later year model and had to do some handwork to make it all fit together 8 years ago.

I bought a no-name aluminum housing from Parts Geek last fall (Sept/early Oct), and it's been working just fine with no leaks. It originally came up on WalMart.com when I was searching, but since it was coming from Parts Geek anyway, I went to them directly. Cost was $50 something. I did reuse my original sensors rather than the ones that came with it. There was no part #, brand, or any other marking on it. It's all polished, not like that Dorman part. Maybe I got lucky, but it fits well with no leaks.

@koda2000 koda2000 speaks ! Hey Phil, long time no see...

Back