4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I obtained 2 thermostat housings for my 2001 Ranger.
The original is plastic and not leaking yet but you know how that goes on the 4.0 SOHC.

The first one is from Simmons Autosports.
I have used theirs before and its a great part, way better than the original plastic one from Ford.
Here are some pictures of it.

View attachment 159611

View attachment 159610 View attachment 159612

Upper Thermostat Housing

View attachment 159613 View attachment 159625 View attachment 159626

Gaskets and Seals

View attachment 159627 View attachment 159628 View attachment 159629
I'm very interested in the Simmons housing. Does anyone know the part numbers for the push in sensors? Also does anyone know the name of the hose under housing? I'm gonna do this mod and want to make sure I have everything before I start thanks👍🏼

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The model info is in this thread somewhere the hose is called a bypass hose

I too am in the process of installing the Simmons part. The thermostat cover he sent is at the wrong angle and to long. I called him today and he answered and already shipped another.....FYI the guys at my local O'Reilly's had the temp sensors in stock.

I too am in the process of installing the Simmons part. The thermostat cover he sent is at the wrong angle and to long. I called him today and he answered and already shipped another.....FYI the guys at my local O'Reilly's had the temp sensors in stock.
I wonder what the reason is for the variance in the housing?

The later SOHC 4.0's had a slightly different angle of the radiator hose there at the thermostat housing. So there are at least two versions of the housing, and they do make both of the ones people here have swapped.

Not sure but the 2 piece upper radiator hose must be different on some as well because I ended up with 1 that is short and blocks the alternator electrical connection.

Not sure but the 2 piece upper radiator hose must be different on some as well because I ended up with 1 that is short and blocks the alternator electrical connection.
Would the guys at Simmons be able to help with the proper application when ordering? I want to make sure I'm ordering the right stuff not trying to make a mess of it...

Yes the change of the SOHC thermostat housing also changed the hoses, the sensors in particular(cause of the leaking issue), and I'd say a bracket or two as well. Maintain the original parts as much as you can for later servicing needs. This thread is about installing the metal T'stat housing, but the sensors are often required to swap out too, and some hoses on certain models.

Would the guys at Simmons be able to help with the proper application when ordering? I want to make sure I'm ordering the right stuff not trying to make a mess of it...

It's been posted that they are very helpful. Do call them and tell them what your application is, and see if they know exactly which parts you will need.

It's been posted that they are very helpful. Do call them and tell them what your application is, and see if they know exactly which parts you will need.
Will do. Thank you sir😉

If you need sensors order ford ones
I've been there

I obtained 2 thermostat housings for my 2001 Ranger.
The original is plastic and not leaking yet but you know how that goes on the 4.0 SOHC.

The first one is from Simmons Autosports.
I have used theirs before and its a great part, way better than the original plastic one from Ford.
Here are some pictures of it.

View attachment 159611

View attachment 159610 View attachment 159612

Upper Thermostat Housing

View attachment 159613 View attachment 159625 View attachment 159626

Gaskets and Seals

View attachment 159627 View attachment 159628 View attachment 159629

I used that Simmons Autosport metal housing on my 2010 4.0L Explorer 2+ years ago. Haven't touched it since. Solid.
Had no luck with Ford's plastic housings and have been thru several. It amazes me that a company as established as Ford, and after decades of failure with their variety of thermostat housing, still sees no reason to fix it.

I studied this pretty hard and I ended up going with the motorcraft lower plastic housing for the later models (to stay away from the screw in sensors) for my 98 but I had to purchase a 98 upper housing for alignment - oddly enough the 98 upper housing did not pilot down on the later model lower housing - I ended up removing some material on the of of the upper housing to get it to fit - the only reason I chose the plastic motorcraft was based on the original design and bolts - I’ve been running it about 75k miles with no issues

I would never use a plastic housing again

Not sure if anyone noticed or posted seeing the aluminum & metal thermostat housings now available on RockAuto, from Dorman (metal) and SKP (aluminum). They were available under the 2 years I looked up 2002 & 2008. Didn't see it posted on here & just thought I'd let anyone know looking into the plastic-to-metal swap that there's another option out there to look at...

I'm coming up on 2 years with my Simmons Autosport aluminum t-stat housing. Still working perfectly. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I would never install a plastic housing again (especially not Dorman or cheap Chinese junk). The quality of the Simmons parts are top notch. Call Simmons if you have any fitment questions. The thing I liked best about the Simmons aluminum housing was the obvious quality, it's a one-piece design, it's beautifully cast and CNC machined.

I'm coming up on 2 years with my Simmons Autosport aluminum t-stat housing. Still working perfectly. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I would never install a plastic housing again (especially not Dorman or cheap Chinese junk). The quality of the Simmons parts are top notch. Call Simmons if you have any fitment questions. The thing I liked best about the Simmons aluminum housing was the obvious quality, it's a one-piece design, it's beautifully cast and CNC machined.
Thanks for the update koda
I hope your doing well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the second one from Austekk
It is a two piece lower design and I had to take it apart to see how they sealed the top and bottom of the lower housing. I cant see using this as is so I will apply some ultra copper RTV between the two pieces.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 159631 View attachment 159632
View attachment 159630View attachment 159647View attachment 159645View attachment 159648
View attachment 159639View attachment 159634View attachment 159636 View attachment 159637
View attachment 159640 View attachment 159641 View attachment 159643
View attachment 159642View attachment 159646
Hello i have the SKP it is identical to the austek and i need to seal it since it is leaking where the 2 halves meet what did you use to remove the metal parts where the 3 bolts go in?

Back