4.0 SOHC Seriously fast? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Seriously fast?

My 98 4.0 SOHC is really fast. Are they supposed to be fast? I have whipped up on a lot of cars and trucks trying to race me.

Seems like the thing has endless gears compaired to my 4.0 95 EB and my 01 Expedition 5.4.

I hit the gas and it starts going into passing gear, but if I hit it again it goes into a higher passing gear and just kicks azz is this normal or did someone put a tune on this thing?

I know it is all set up for towing and the towing rack in the back is huge and meant for hauling something big and the it even had what looks like after market oil and trans coolers.

Anyone have any ideas? I got this truck used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its probably the variable length intake -- basically a valve actuates (on top) at ~3k RPMs that changes the volume of the intake plenum to one which is better suited for the rest of the RPMs (3K and up). You can feel this change once you hit that magic RPM, its a bit of a surge in power.

Its probably the variable length intake -- basically a valve actuates (on top) at ~3k RPMs that changes the volume of the intake plenum to one which is better suited for the rest of the RPMs (3K and up). You can feel this change once you hit that magic RPM, its a bit of a surge in power.

what!? i didn't know they had that! i thought that was just v-tec hondas (and others a like z-tech, t-vis, etc)

what!? i didn't know they had that! i thought that was just v-tec hondas (and others a like z-tech, t-vis, etc)
Variable length intake manifold (VLIM) has been around for a while - mostly in European and Asian designs though.

Of the two v6 engines, only the SOHCs incorporate VLIM -- but I'm not 100% sure all SOHCs do because I've seen more than one upper plenum design for that engine.

Some pics of the actuator here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2129373#post2129373

yeah i got an 01 sport with the sohc engine and i beat my friend 98 mustang and i beat my friend 97 dodge ram and my friend 92 buick roadmaster.

My 98 came with tranny cooler,power steering cooler, engine oil cooler and 3.73 rear gears-stock! The truck was equipped with a towing package. The sohc is a strong little engine.

at first I thought this was a joke thread. I love my explorer sport- but saying its fast? Ill say it has nice torque off the line, and great power for a suv, but not fast. I also attest this to all the mods I have. Stock these trucks feel like bricks with wheels. Like Jah- mine also had the towing package as well.

I know the sohc 4.0 is fast....I raced a guy I work with that has a 04 2wd silervado with the big v8 off the line and in a 1/4 mile and blew his doors off....I'm talking bad. He was pissed. I have a lifted Ranger 4x4 extra cab with 33" mud terrains and 4:10 gears.I have raced alot of other things just for sh*ts and giggles and have beat them to....so yeah they can be quick.

yeah they are fast lil *******s. i have beatin quite a few things racin down the freeways here. then the motor blew up n i have even topuched 80 since.

I'm with Afboy - I wouldn't consider them fast. Compared to the regular sized explorer, yes, they'll out-run them. The definition fast is a variable when said like that.

They'll run a 16 second quarter mile when stock; a 15 second (some high 14 seconds) with bolt-ons; and 13 seconds with a power adder and stock engine (possible 12 seconds) If you consider that fast then okay but it's nothing to write home about. My opinion is when you get into the 12's then you can start to consider your vehicle fast - anything slower than that and we're talking turtle compared to a true 'fast' vehicle.

Yeah, you can out run other slow vehicles but it doesn't make it fast. It's like watching two turtles race.

Now a built 4.0 SOHC running over 10 LBS of boost is where it'll get interesting... ;) That's the plan when it's time to rebuild.

I agree with Jakee-

There is quick and fast.

Quick can relate to an Ex, which is quicker than it should be for what it is.

Fast is not a Honda running 16's, or even 14's.

My ExSport(s) seemed quick, but my Mustang was fast. :D

Unless there is some variable to determine what "fast" is (ex. dyno) it sounds to me it is a subjective claim? How fast is fast?

I would love to believe it but I have an 03 Sport and it's by no means "fast" to me...

See the problem here is people are comparing the engine based on street racing. There is no prize to get to the next light so many like myself may act as though I'm gonna give you a run for your money, then watch laughing as you burn up $5 worth of gas. As for taking it against a mustang and beating it, maybe if it's a poor running v6, as for taking it against a silverado, I hope you would take it cuz that vehicle is like 1,000 pounds heavier and built for hauling/towing not going fast.

If you really want to see how fast it is, get it dyno'd or take it to a competition track to test the TRUE 1/4 mile time. A lot of 1/4 strips will let you run for a $20.00 pass. Atleast the one's I used to take my 69 camero to in Indiana were $20 and you got 3 runs.

Unless there is some variable to determine what "fast" is (ex. dyno) it sounds to me it is a subjective claim? How fast is fast?

A dyno is only going to tell you how much RWHP you have not how fast/quick you are.

Let me also clarify what IZwack was talking about, VLIM, or Ford also calls it IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control).

This system is a computer controlled variable intake runner, during normal operation air is routed through a longer intake runner for low RPM torque, under 3/4 to WOT the comptuer opens a butterfly at around 3k RPM's to allow air to be routed through a shorter intake runner, for high RPM horsepower.

Cross section cuttaway of intake manifold

This is NOT as you would call VTEC (Honda), VANOS (BMW), or VVTi (Toyota) which infact is variable valve timing.

Ford is not currently using variable valve timing on any of it Exploder's at this time.

Variable Cam Timing:

Variable Cam Lift:

Lets also note that there may be two engines we're all talking about here, the first is the SOHC, the heads of this motor contain the cam shaft which actuates the valavetrain, a much more effecient design especially for high RPM usage and power.

The OHV motor, also a 4.0 has a single cam in the block/or lower portion of the engine using lifters and push rods to actuate rocker arms to open and close the intake and exhaust valves, still a very funtional design (look at the Chevy LS engines) but none the less a lower reving engine, plauged with valve float because of mass, at high RPM's and usally really great at making off idle, to near off idle torque and power quickly but not much past 4300rpm's unless some head and cam work has been done, remember this is a truck not a race car, and the engine was never designed for this.

Now as for fast and quick, we'll go baised on common sense here:

Quick = Time it takes to get from point A to point B

Fast = The top speed of a vehicle

And there is a certian amount of give and take for each, you can be quick but topend suffers, you can be fast, but the time it takes to get to fast suffers.

Rear Gearing:

Axle ratio: 4.10 = quick

Axle ratio: 3.27 = fast

Understand??

A chassis dynomometer, or dyno's as the slang term goes, is used to show where the horsepower and torque patterns are in an rpm range using (hopefully) a 1:1 gear ratio, usally run it 3rd or 4th gear pending on what's closer to a 1:1 ratio, and the opterator will normally start the "run" at 3k rpms to rediline or what the customer specify's, same with the starting point if it can be applicable (usally manual transmission, as an automtic will down shift to the next lowest gear).

Ah which brings us to "Passing Gears", in your automatic transmission there are 4 or 5 gears, baised on which transmission you have, when you step on the gas to pass, baised on caculated engine load, vehicle speed, rpm's, and the gear the transmission is currently in, the computer may command the trans mission to down shift one or two gear to give ratio of grearing for what the compter thinks you trying to accomplish (rashionality/control strategy), there is not a mystical "passing gear" that it shifts into, sorry.

And releasing a depressing the gas so to speak as you mentioned, it quite hard on the transmission, these ARE the weakest links of these vehcles, and not too cheap to have worked on ;)

In a layman's term:

Torque, is what gets the mass of the vehicle moving.
Horsepower, is how fast it;s going to makeit move.

Looking at a dyno sheet will let you know where the torque come into pay and how fast this happens in the rpm band/range.
Same with horsepower, but once the horsepower falls off, that's it, spinning the motor past this area/range/or point is worthless, you need to shift 200rpm's before this happens to be effective.

0609_c_saturn_sky_dyno.jpg

In this case this motor is making max torque at 2700rpms and slowly tappers off, max horsepower is at 5750rpms, to be effective in a drag race he would need to be shifting at around 5500rpm's or just slightly sooner.

Jeff - :navajo:

That was a very good post SVO.

The only thing I can tell you is the theory you have for shifting may be a little off - Let me explain...

Another layman’s term of torque and HP....

Torque = the amount of force applied to make something ‘work’.
HP = the amount of ‘work’ done over time.

Everyone should understand that HP is calculated by torque. The formula for rotating objects is very easy – HP = (Torque * RPM) / 5252

So back to the shift point theory – You can’t just look a dyno chart alone and figure out where you should optimally shift; you also have to know where the RPM will be once you shift. If your optimal shift RPM causes the engine to dip down too low then this is not the Optimal shift point. Again, you want the engine to be in its “Maximum HP output” as much as possible. That MAY prompt you to make shift points in spots where the HP is actually starting to take a nose dive. The reason for this is because even when the HP is lower than it was 100 RPM’s ago, you’ll still be getting more work done over time once the tranny completely shifts as compared to if you would have shifted earlier.
I hope that makes sense to everyone.

Most of the dyno charts you'll find on the net are calculated RearWheelHorsePower. This is actually a very good pc of data to have. After that you need the weight of the vehicle and you can predict how fast or quick it will be. But, because that is so complicated to get correct the best thing to do is get rear world results.

Actually, one of the layman definitions I just gave has a flaw in it. I challenge someone to find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back