4.0L SOHC to 4.0L OHV Pushrod Swap? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC to 4.0L OHV Pushrod Swap?

The SOHC and the V6 trans are weaker than the V8 units. The SOHC 4.0 is worth saving if you do the maintenance of the valvetrain timely, which means far sooner than when the symptoms appear. If you wait until it rattles, you didn't keep up with the needs of the SOHC V6. If you pick a time to do it timely(OEM has schedules for everything), it can last indefinitely. Do it every 75k miles.

I chose to do my 99 SOHC when I bought it at 77,450 miles, before I ever drove it. It was a total which I rebuilt, and I did the valvetrain work then(minus the rear cassette). Now with 153k miles, the 5R55E is out needing rebuilt. It's time to do the SOHC valvetrain again, both front and back while the trans is out.

I'm not going to do the SOHC work again, it's not that hard, but I prefer the 302 which can go 200k-300k without any major work. I'll convert it to a 306/4R70, and sell the SOHC/5R55E, hopefully before next Winter.

I am looking for a SOHC 2nd gen Explorer though, the special USPS mail truck that they made 22k of. Those are dying off soon due to the SOHC issues, and I'll try to get one feasibly. I'll convert that to V8/4R/AWD, and maybe get lucky to find a RHD imported Explorer for parts(the dash/AC/firewall) etc. That'd be a cool mail truck, reliable with AC and a radio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorer never got m50r2 this trans fits 4.9 six and 302-351 engine the sohc got a m50r1hd. the bolt hole was moved to miss cam timing components but 1 less bolt shouldn't make that much difference.
roscoe
You are correct about the manual. My error.

Its a direct swap. 4.0 sohc computer will run a 4.0 ohv. Everything is the same minus the engine harness. The 5r55e will bolt right up.
Mr Q.......
Saw your post .........I have a 2001 Sport Trac 5 speed manual. Of course with a 4.0 SOHC and would like to go with a

4.0 OHV and the 4.0 OHV will match the 4.0 SOHC PCM???? etc. besides the wiring harness. The PCM could be wiped for

auto trans to manual..?????? Anything else???? The 4.0 OHV last pro. date was 1999 or 2000 does it matter what the

4.0 OHV came out of say 2000 year.

Thanks for you input.....

If you have a Job 1 Sport Trac, I would just get my hands on a 2000 manual OHV PCM. Will save you headaches, otherwise it should all match up.

If you have a Job 1 Sport Trac, I would just get my hands on a 2000 manual OHV PCM. Will save you headaches, otherwise it should all match up.
Well the Sport Trac production date is 2/01 which I thought was Job1, but the engine is a Job2 ...dont know how that
is possible looks to be factory eng. not a replace......
Will a Job 2 also work???? Or does not matter on the switch since Im changing the PCM for a 4.0 OHV year 1999
or 2000 PCM, or what ever year the 4.0 OHV were last produced going into a 2/01 production date Sport Trac.....
thanks...Mr Q........

I don't know about compatibility with PCMs / swaps but that would be a cool setup...the more modern look of your trac with the longevity of the ohv engine...win win. The last year the 4.0 ohv was produced for the Explorers was 2000... pretty sure the same with the Ranger.

@sport trac jr.

Just sayin' - I'm not trying to get members to move over to another forum, I'm just trying to help them keep their rigs going by exposing them to all sorts of braintrusts available to us.

@MrQ has offered up solid advice which I think is correct; in theory you should be able to take a 200 Explorer w/ 4.0 OHV & Manual Transmission PCM and swap it into your 2001 SportTrac.

Take that preliminary advice/concept and go over to The Ranger Station website and talk with those guys in their 4.0 Forum (and Sport Trac) as well.
I'm sure someone has been there and done that ;)

As @EB4X said, this sounds like a cool win-win swap and something I'd love to see a write-up w/ pics posted to our forum.

HTH -

@sport trac jr.

Just sayin' - I'm not trying to get members to move over to another forum, I'm just trying to help them keep their rigs going by exposing them to all sorts of braintrusts available to us.

@MrQ has offered up solid advice which I think is correct; in theory you should be able to take a 200 Explorer w/ 4.0 OHV & Manual Transmission PCM and swap it into your 2001 SportTrac.

Take that preliminary advice/concept and go over to The Ranger Station website and talk with those guys in their 4.0 Forum (and Sport Trac) as well.
I'm sure someone has been there and done that ;)

As @EB4X said, this sounds like a cool win-win swap and something I'd love to see a write-up w/ pics posted to our forum.

HTH -
Thanks EB4X................and Mr Q....................

First you are infringing on Mr Q's copy written info, second we are not going anywhere the EXP. site has Ham
Biscuits and pool table rights....ST....zero......pool rights on Friday nights, no mask , food buffet....and the Exp...site
has show girls....on Friday and Sat. night no limit bar and recaps 80% off ...............
Your kidding right....We're not going anywhere.....

Its really finding out on the PCM boxes, being....2001 4.0 SOHO to 4.0 OHV and I suppose the

2000 or 1999 PCM ....I have a tech back ground, drummer by trade...... I dont crunch

engines 24/7 nor 2001 ST 4.0 SOHO PCM boxs to 2000 4.0 PCM OHV boxes info at my finger tips...

Thanks, Ranger would prob be the best place to find out....ST was a 5.0 OHV trip....its really a harness,

PCM matter....410 said I could stay and be "Hall Monitor"...if I want....

Pushrod Motors so far superior backfires misfires due to faulty ignition packs and things snap a bolt cassette snaps you got to pull the motor for me that's end of story

explorer never got m50r2 this trans fits 4.9 six and 302-351 engine the sohc got a m50r1hd. the bolt hole was moved to miss cam timing components but 1 less bolt shouldn't make that much difference.
roscoe
its a 4.2L v6
the 302, 351 and 4.2L V6 had the M5OD r2 behind it

Back