• Register Today It's free!

To do a 4.6 swap...

skysthelymyt

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have a 4x4 2003 4.0 and i was wondering, if I had a 4.6 engine (out of a 02-03 4x4 explorer) and the wire harness and computer could I get by with that? On the bell housing, can the bell housing be taken off of the v8 tranny and fit to the v6 tranny? I also know that you would have to have the torque converter for it as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 4x4 2003 4.0 and i was wondering, if I had a 4.6 engine (out of a 02-03 4x4 explorer) and the wire harness and computer could I get by with that? On the bell housing, can the bell housing be taken off of the v8 tranny and fit to the v6 tranny? I also know that you would have to have the torque converter for it as well.

Bell housings are different...also trans/bellhousing is one pc so, you will need a trans for a 4.6 and also a 4410 to replace your bw 4411....
I'm guessing you will need lots more than just that from motor mounts to every accessory for the 4.6... There is a lot to be done....imo not anywhere near worth the time/effort...
There is a member doing a 4.6 swap if you search it...I think he's a few months in now...

Think about it the 4.0 is rated at 210hp vs the 4.6 @240....the 06+ 4.6 is a 3v motor....(more logical if I were to do it)
Imho save the headaches and dough and get a tune+efan etc and be @240 w/less weight..... If I had a 4.6 it'd be tempting I know but I'd sell it and buy a few mods...

Just my .02
~Will

Yea I see what you are saying. I was trying to weigh my options considering that my rear timing chain is about to go out. It has gotten worse over the past two months so I'm expecting it to go soon and when it does then I'll either be getting a new motor or rebuilding the old. (prolly the new motor)
esp. if I can get a wrecked v8 for really cheap if not free. (father in law has own mechanic shop and junk yard)

If your truck is paid off, and you are able, might as well buy a new ride. 4.6 wiring needs to be spliced in, definitely need the newer style intake manifold to prevent breakage, it adds weight, need a different transmission( all internals are the same, different housing), along with a lot of other this that and others that will need to be tweaked and made along the the way. I don't have the luxury of a new car so I am having fun with what I have. My official build starts tomorrow now that I have made the time and the space for it.

Well, with as much as I have done to the X so far, I will not get another unless I absolutely have to. Everything is working the way it should so I plan to keep that way.

Back