can you swap a 4.0 engine to a 4.6 engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can you swap a 4.0 engine to a 4.6 engine

wmarsh

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ford explorer
My 4.0 timing chain went out on the back side so now I have to pull the engine. My dad has a g97 grand marquise with the 4.6 in it. Can you swap these two engines without much problems ? I have a 02 explorer and was not sure of the electronics and mounts. I think the tranny was the same for the 6 cyl and the 8 cyl.. The timing chains are $500 the 4.6 engine would be $0..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have read the problem is in the transmission. The bell housings for the Ex trans and the Grand Marquis are going to be different. Sometimes you can adapt them...sometimes not. Don't know in this case.

Also the PCM is going to need to be replaced with the Marquis's or a v8 Ex I would imagine. 2 more cylinders it needs to fire and in its mind it will still have a v6.

Sorry I can't be of more help but that is all I really know.

From what I've read it's very expensive to do because of the transmission issue mentioned above.

Are the axles even the same?

Are the axles even the same?

Transfer case, axles, brakes body, interior.. All the same..

Just wiring, transmission bell housings and therfore the torque converter is a hair different as well and some things are probably routes differently under the hood.

Lastly I think the exhaust is different to the y pipe.

Transfer case, axles, brakes body, interior.. All the same..

Just wiring, transmission bell housings and therfore the torque converter is a hair different as well and some things are probably routes differently under the hood.

Lastly I think the exhaust is different to the y pipe.

Sounds like its cheaper to just buy a new explorer haha

Sounds like its cheaper to just buy a new explorer haha

If you get all the parts from a junkyard it is like 2 grand said and done.. Just more of a headache than anything...

Plus you are going out on a limb hoping the trans and motor you get all work 100%

I wanted to do it on mine just for the power but it isn't that much more powerful and as much as I would like a v8 just not worth the hassle... Especially cause mine runs fine.

Also with the 4.6 being 97, you will have to tear it apart an put in a new ring gear and get new sensors, because the new ECU that you will have to buy will not read the old sensors. The list of things that do not work are ridiculous. You are going to spend at least $2,000. Save the money, time, the headache and buy a different EX.

Back