4 auto to 2wd-4x4h-4x4L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 auto to 2wd-4x4h-4x4L

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer sport sohc 99
I just wanted to know if it is possible to convert my auto transfer case to the ranger 4x4 transfer case. i have not been able to find a manual tcase here in canada and there is alot of rangers with the electric 4x4 transfer case here. i know the wiring is different but could i wire my own switch up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on why you want to lock out 4wd, the brown wire mod might be all you need.

IMO, the brown wire 'mod' is a useless mod.

It depends on why you want to lock out 4wd, the brown wire mod might be all you need.

i read about that. but i love doing burn outs and fish tails and would permanently drive in 2wd except in the snow. wouldnt want to blow the case and be screwed. looking for a reliable swap. i would like a 3 way switch that lead to my center console through the floor.

The way I did the BWM on my Expedition was to cut the brown wire in the passenger side footwell and run it through a switch. The brown wire in the Expedition seems to only be used for the AWD function of the transfer case (automatically switching into 4hi). If I leave the BWM switch off, I can still use the selector switch on the dash to shift into 4wd but otherwise it is 2wd only. If I turn it on, it allows the AWD to kick in--> and in my case it seemed to always be engaged because tight turns were met with 4wd type binding of the drivetrain (I believe it's a vacuum leak in the front that fails in the engaged position). I had been running with the fuse pulled but had to reinstall the fuse to get 4wd. The BWM switch seems to be the best of both worlds.

i read about that. but i love doing burn outs and fish tails and would permanently drive in 2wd except in the snow. wouldnt want to blow the case and be screwed. looking for a reliable swap. i would like a 3 way switch that lead to my center console through the floor.

hard to get anybody to take this seriously after the opening part,,

there is a way,, but ,,, mehhh,,

The brown wire mod would work for you then.

The reason I say it's a useless mod is that it saves no money on mileage or wear and tear and it negates what is actually a good feature.

The BWM on my Expedition stops the driveline binding on tight turns. For me it's been a beneficial mod.

That shouldn't happen.
Maybe your 4wd clutches were too tight or you weren't getting the right signals from the computer.
Maybe your 4wd was stuck on?

Oh well, if it works, it works.

Of course, I like everything to be perfect said the bloke who is using the GPS on an old smart phone as as speedo cause I've got a 2000 transfer case in my '97.

Yeah I don't know. All I know is that before with the fuse installed it binded up, with the fuse pulled it didn't. Also, I could feel/hear a grinding/crunching sound at low speeds while going straight- with the fuse pulled it was smooth.

The BWM is probably masking a problem that could be fixed properly with more money.

With that said though, I have a 1354 in my Explorer.

i like 4wd how ever the 4 auto is sketchy in the rain and snow. i dont like under steer either id rather have over steer its easier to control. the other day i lost traction and the truck was all over the place with the front tires kicking in on and off. i didnt like it. i wanted to know if i could swap transfer cases because the auto can apparently blow up from spinning your tires to much.

hard to get anybody to take this seriously after the opening part,,

there is a way,, but ,,, mehhh,,

that isnt a reliable way though. you can cause damage to your tcase doing what i just explained. i can find an actual ranger tcase with out the auto for around a hundred bucks. the only problem would be wiring i dont know why you dont understand but oh well.

that isnt a reliable way though. you can cause damage to your tcase doing what i just explained. i can find an actual ranger tcase with out the auto for around a hundred bucks. the only problem would be wiring i dont know why you dont understand but oh well.

Did you see this post from me?

you could also try this, seems to be what you are looking for, its a swap from the 4405 to a 1354E case

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=316510

Back