410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

maybe a dumb question but have you called rcv and tried to speak to someone instead of waiting for emails?
Called many times. Each time got told to pound sand in different ways and then to follow up with an email to their general email address. After following up with an email I got told to pound sand in writing.

And by pound sand I mean they wouldn't deal with me, a peasant, and that I had to have it resolved with TTD.

RCV then told TTD to more or less pound sand and that they may get to it in 6 months or so

So that was cool.

Also, @410Fortune , I send my prayers to James and his family.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you use the stock axle ends that you took off the truck with the new extended center section? assuming the cvs are the same??

do the splined sections of the axle attach to the cvs in different ways? ive never dealt with 4x4 axles...im just brainstorming

Have you heard anything positive from RCV or TTD about the axle shafts? RCV axle shaft upgrade for my D44 was on my short list, but if they are still jerking you around then its a hard NO.

I have not heard a word from Adam at true travel
this is getting really old
I
Will be calling him today

I sent a email to the person I do big off-road purchases through because he is a old school Ultra-4 racer, long time off-roader, freely dispenses advice/opinion about products, and always gives me the best price he can. He said this about RCV when I mentioned your issues, and asked about them for my D44:

"RCV is no longer a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Its actually a long process to get a warranty claim done with them anymore. The warranty is also handled customer to RCV direct, they removed dealers from the warranty process.

I do not do custom length shafts with RCV. I have in the past and I have never had them made correctly the first time around. I sell their off the shelf stuff and never have problems with those. If your axle would use an off the shelf axle kit then you would be okay. If you are going to need custom length shafts I would look elsewhere. Although for a D44 there aren't really many options anymore."

I will look elsewhere
i almost had the shaft fitting with the dremmel lol
so close!
however just because it fits does not mean I will lbricate properly so I will look to a machine shop somewhere like Dutchman or moser that can help us out

in other news james is doing much better! He is in rehab and should be home with us in weeks not months

hang in there folks we will get through this!
I have many pm’s and many emails to get caught up on
i am making the time to come check back in and start posting again
really looking forward to summer break this year, will allow me much more time for the shop!
big changes so far in 2021
nothing we cannot handle......persevere!

I will look elsewhere
i almost had the shaft fitting with the dremmel lol
so close!
however just because it fits does not mean I will lbricate properly so I will look to a machine shop somewhere like Dutchman or moser that can help us out

in other news james is doing much better! He is in rehab and should be home with us in weeks not months

hang in there folks we will get through this!
I have many pm’s and many emails to get caught up on
i am making the time to come check back in and start posting again
really looking forward to summer break this year, will allow me much more time for the shop!
big changes so far in 2021
nothing we cannot handle......persevere!
Glad to hear that James is doing better! Take your time and focus on your family first.

That is great news, keep going James!

So glad to hear that he will be home sooner than they expected. Great news!

410fortune, when I sent you a message yesterday about the EFI, I had not yet gotten to the point where you posted about James. Glad to hear the good news. Keep taking care of the important stuff. Look forward to hearing more good news and seeing what happens with the project when you can get back to it.

You guys are super awesome!!

James was picked up and brought home yesterday
He is having some issues with his memory, otherwise he is doing really well! He came home and even though we told him to stay put, just relax and not try to go up and down the stairs, he would not sit still. I followed him around for a while he was walking all over the property looking for things that do not exist, like old trucks and mini bikes that we have never owned. This short term memory stuff may or may not come back to him, only time will tell. Regardless he is in good spirits, can do the stairs no problem and he is home with his wife and daughter!!
We just have to keep him from trying to drive or from taking a dive, otherwise he is a walking talking laughing machine!!

Things can start to get back to somewhat normal around here...as you can see it is before 7am and I am on my PC, with coffee in from of explorerforum!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!
Been talking with Eddie money last day or so, we are getting ready to order the rear ARB locker, new Yukon gear sets and install kits......
The 2007 project is once again front and center.... I just have to clean up shop (as usual) and tidy up a bit around here....... spring is in full effect! We have baby geese, baby ducks and two huge blue heron's hanging out in the creek.....just the way I like it. TRUCK SEASON!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again fella's, James is HOME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

That is great news, James and his family can spend lots of time together.

Just check in to see how the build is going. Also glad James is home too.

Just to update things on my end I ended up taking my axle to a shop up here in the Portland area and was able to resolve my vibration and cv book explosion issue . Turns out the vibration was caused by a piece of plastic that had gotten lodged in the cv during assembly. They were able to clean it up and rebuild it at a minimal cost. After that I installed it and took it on a few small drives around town and then the 100 mile round trip to my mothers with no issues.

Feeling confident I rolled the dice and me and another buddy took off on a 642 mile mostly forest road trip through the mountains in the pacific NW. The only issue I had was I noticed I had developed a small leak in my transfer case rear seal.

I'll call that a success!

Pics to be uploaded soon!

Been doing a few rounds in the mountains lately and it has been performing amazing

20210528_114951.jpg

DSC05510-01.jpeg

Hope James is still doing well. Any updates on the project?

Still wanting to know more about this Terminator "Explorer Package" y'all have put together.

James is doing well! The human brain is an amazing thing, to witness the healing and what is capable is hardcore
Healing takes time! We have our James back you could say, good news for us, his family.

He is like a mule and just keeps beating it all back.. Starting to work on trucks a little bit again now too

Its been crazy, lots has changed in my/our lives recently, but we battle through it.
Summer goes by quickly. I have made much progress on many projects, we take on alot around here!
Aside from all of that
It is time for an update.... I have been working on the 07 Ranger now again! Throwing all my "spare" time at it and working once again towards being in the shop full time (30-50 hours a week)

So here's the update!!
RCV and True Travel are working to get the pass front CV axle resolved. I have also made contact with Dutchman axles and they are willing to help us out if we need any machine work or a new cv hub machined. Of course no promises from the shop until they have the cv stub shaft in their hands. It will still take me some time to put this truck all together, so as long as we have a working CV axle before its running around under its own power, we will be happy.

Kings have ARRIVED!! They are so busy it took 24 weeks to fulfill our custom front shock order
No more excuses!! Nothing motivates a truck project like getting a box full of kings in the mail... so here we go

The front suspension:
So if you guys remember we are running a True Travel + 2 mid travel kit along with Superlift IFS SLA drop brackets lift and Superlift extended steering knuckle.
The TT +2 kit is designed to remove the factory torsion bars and upgrade to a 8" travel 2.0" body threaded body coilover shock
However I wanted to take it a bit further and add the drop brackets
This gives us room to run a 10" stroke 2" body shock AND dual rate coil springs

The shocks arrived, and they fit, ride height also looks good thus far, I am a happy camper!
The install of the true travel shock tower required "a little custom work" (hours of placement and testing chop cut weld before final tack weld and suspension mock up) in order to make it clear the dual spring coilover
Suspension mock up is complete, front diff in place, modified shock tower tacked to frame, everything looks fantastic. Plenty of clearance at full droop, the shocks and a arms will travel way further then the CV axle will ever be allowed to see.....
King coilover is mounted in rear spot, 2.0 shock is mounted in front. CV axle clears no problem
Setting up the bump stops/cans and limit straps properly will happen after she's rolling around on tires and ride height is set
Everything will be stripped back off the truck, cleaned and coated.
Now that the coilover conversion is sorted out, the spring rate looks good, I have good adjustment of the ride height and everything clears..
I will final weld the passenger side, add some gussets and setup the drivers to match

The rear suspension
will be setup with Kartek drop shackles for a shackle reversal
We will run some Chevy 64" springs and re locate the front spring hanger (Rangers have 57" spring). Springs can be arched or a lift block used to adjust ride height.
3.0 Kings will be ordered for the rear once travel is measured and limited

Drivetrain:
All parts have arrived for the trucks re gear
A 1999 Explorer rear axle was stripped down to the housing. Ford 31 spline 8.8, disc brake
The 2007 Dana 35 IFS housing was also stripped down to the housing

Yukon 4.56 gearsets
Yukon master install kits
ARD RD81 rear air locker
ARB mini compressor
New rear wheel bearings and seals
New front diff axle shaft seals
The diffs are headed to a local 4x4 shop to be re geared and have the ARB setup

Engine has been fitted with its 6.3 comp Cams pushrods and valvetrain, valve covers buttoned up.
I have been studying the Holley computer and wiring, how it will control the 302 and the 4r70w, how it is wired and what to expect.
I have chosen the ECM mounting location. The engine/trans will be getting its fuel rail, accessories and wiring harness next.
At same time the dash will begin to go in, the interface with the Holley drivetrain computer, the instrument cluster, all of that will be sorted.
Since it is a 2007 and uses a complex CANBUS system I will have some hacking to do. Lucky for me I have a complete 2005 ranger/dash/wiring "in boxes" I can use if I need to cheat a little. Keeping the restraints computer abs and other systems happy could be a challenge..

The engine has also been bolted down, YES with the TMH headers installed. I have my ways :)

Eddie Money (owner) also ordered some Ranger rock rails, they have not come in the mail yet...but we are expecting them.
So I have a front bumper, front winch, hopefully rock sliders, front suspension brackets, and more all going in for cleaning, prep and paint

Now to the pictures, There are a S*&T TON of pics, so please bare with me. Getting time here on the PC to post these updates is not as easy as it used to be as I am pulled in many diff directions. However building these trucks is my PASSION, Eddie Moneys truck GOES FIRST! He has waited long enough and this will be my masterpiece. My wife, my best friend, and all my helpers also have my back.
Time to log some hours on this build
I have also picked up 3 more projects for myself in the last 6 months I cannot work on until this truck is DONE!!! (01 trac 302, 5 speed, 4406m, side exit exhaust, OBX headers, and coilovers, 97 explorer v8 with 101K miles, just to name a few.......)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All right forum does not like me posting pictures above for some reason, seems to be working now
Sometimes posting the update is more work then wrenching on the truck!

2007 Ranger dana 35 IFS SLA differential stripped down to the housing, used for mock up and ready for regear
171_052118_570000000.jpg

Explorer 31 spline "large tube" 8.8 also stripped to the housing, ready for re gear and locker
171_052118_570000003.jpg

171_052118_570000004.jpg

Parts slowly coming in!
171_052118_570000002.jpg

thank you to BRETT at High Plains for getting these orders pushed through his supplier, getting your hands on this stuff right now can be a challenge! Finding an ARB mini compressor, well I think I got the last one in the country. Also we wanted the super trick ARB diff cover to go with their locker, but was told from ARB that parts maybe "YEARS" due to covid. So we went with B&M because they are known for their high quality and it has the bearing cap girdle support I like to run in the 8.8 with the ARB
Pictured are Yukon 4.56 ring and pinions for the two diffs, master install kit, ARB RD81 8.8 locker, mini compressor and B&M cover. A few weeks later the dana 35 master install kit arrived as well

The front suspension install had begun long before the kings arrived
Frame rail prepped, the shock tower was located per True Travel directions and tack welded
171_052130_240000001.jpg

Kings arrived!! I was on a 6 day road trip to Texas and back when the King shocks arrived!
171_052118_570000001.jpg

unboxing

171_052130_240000003.jpg

171_052130_240000002.jpg

171_052140_220000000.jpg

171_052130_240000004.jpg

2.0, 10" stroke threaded body remote resi with 90 degree fitting. Built with dual coil setup, 750# main coil, 550# tender coil
2.0, 10" stroke shock
2.0 bumps and cans

Now to test fit
Major clearance issues trying to run the dual spring setup and 10" shock, totally expected this
171_052138_220000000.jpg

Cut tack welds, shock tower needs to be modified and re located
171_052130_240000000.jpg

Stock bump stop bracket needs to go
171_052226_200000000.jpg

171_052226_200000001.jpg

171_062305_160000002.jpg

these "fingers" are in the way of our dual spring coilover. We tried to keep them but quickly decided they had to go.
I plan to make some nice gussets that will help tie the tower into the frame vertical sections AND the UCA mounts

171_062305_160000001.jpg

First tack welds had to be cut, bracket re worked

At first we tried to keep the finger supports......shave them down to half........ but eventually it was decided the coilover springs need that space
171_062305_160000000.jpg

Many hours were spent now mocking up the shock tower. The True Travel tower was never intended to be run with a 10" dual spring coil over and Superlift drop brackets. The result was some grinding was needed to remove some bits from the tower and the tower was "leaned out" away from the frame just ever so slightly. Don't worry whatever metal is removed will be put back 10 fold...I will be adding some nice gussets to tie the shock tower into the UCA mounts.

Back