4R70W differences AWD vs. 4WD???

extramedium9

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
72 Broco
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the differences, if any, of a 4R70W out of a 2001 Mountaineer, AWD vs. 4WD?

Specifically:
Extension housings identical? What is the bolt pattern on the t-case side?
Outputs shafts same length with same spline count?

One reason I wanted to know is if I could mate a NP205 directly up to them.
I know you could on the old AOD's.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No

The 4r70w in 2001 was available in two models, the 5.0L AWD and the 5.0L 2wd.
Ford never made a 4x4 5.0L V8 Explorer 96-2001, the 4r70w transmission ONLY had a 2wd tail housing and output shaft or a AWD tailhousing and output shaft.
The tailhousing bolt pattern is a 6 bolt and the output shaft is not the same as an old AOD, I forget how many spline though.

YOu can see on this forum some of us have removed the AWD transfer case (full time AWD, no 4x4 switch on the dash, shift motor, etc) in favor of an F-150 transfer case from 4.6L and 5.4L 4x4 trucks, the BW 4406.
I have a link in my sig for my conversion.

You CAN buy adapters from Advance Adapters to convert the 4R70W to the older AOD style rear but it requires changing of the output shaft = trans rebuild. I did similar to my 4r70w installed in my 88 BII to mate it with the smaller 1354 Ranger case, again I had to rebuild the transmission installing the AA output shaft and custom tailhousing for the 5 bolt pattern (AOD shaft)

Thanks for the reply 410Fortune, I thought for a while there nobody would answer :)

I should probably tell you my application to make it easier. I am planning on putting a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0L/4R70W (low mileage) with computer into my Early Bronco. My choices for transfer cases this far was:
1) my stock Dana20. Would require an AA adapter and different output shaft ( equal rebuild which I was trying to avoid with such low miles)
2) NP205. Heard that it would bolt up to a 6 bolt pattern/31 spline count.

So the AWD extension housing IS the "standard" 6 bolt pattern. But the output shaft for 2001 is definitely NOT 31 spline? If so, do you know when they changed them?

While searching on this site, I thought some people said that the NP205 was a direct bolt up to the 4R70W, but not sure. I didn't find to many instances.

Have you tried asking AA?
Maybe some research is in order.

I got my 4406 t case from my buddy Brett, he picked it up because he was planning to use it in his 68 EB just like you, with a 98 GT-40 5.0L and 4r70w, but the 4406 wont fit between the EB frame rails so I got it cheap and put it in my Explorer.

Like I said I converted the 4r70W in my BII to adapt to the old 5 bolt pattern and kept the smallish 1354.

Not sure about the NP205 but ifs worth looking into.
I know the spline count for the exploder 4r70w is on here somewhere, I could count the splines on the spare I have at home :)

I'm pretty sure it's 31 spline.

31 spline? That would be great. That would make it a 6 bolt/31 spline, just what I was looking for, hopefully it will bolt up to the NP205. When I find out for sure I will post it so that others can know for certain.
Thanks guys.

Back