4R70W transmission question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W transmission question

integrax97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2000 ford ranger 4x4 to start things off.

Im planning on doing the 5.0 swap out of a 99 explorer. The guy has everything i need and is selling it all for an awesome price that i couldnt refuse. But the Explorer is a 2wd but still has the 4R70W transmission in it.

Im planning on keeping my Ranger 4x4 transfer case by buying the Adapter kit they sell online.

NOW, the question here is, if i buy this adapter kit, will it mount up to this 2wd transmission or do i have to buy a new tailshaft housing for it?? Are those easy to find, easy to swap??? How about the output shaft?? I think i remember the adapter kit comes with a new output shaft for the ranger T/C?

Any help would be great, thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you will need to have a 4wd tailshaft and housing --the 2wd housing has no provision to bolt the transfer case to it.

Why not use a 4406 behind the 4r70w and eliminate the need for an adapter?

I believe you will need to have a 4wd tailshaft and housing --the 2wd housing has no provision to bolt the transfer case to it.

Why not use a 4406 behind the 4r70w and eliminate the need for an adapter?

I want this swap to pretty much be bolted in with no modifications needed to the front and rear drive shafts... The adapter would save me from this mess and it would also include the tailshaft i need for the transmission so all i would need according to you is the 4wd tail housing???

wait a minute... this adapter kit... all it is is a new tail housing. You have to take the old tail housing off and put the one from the adapter kit on in order for the BW ranger transfer case to bolt on... Am i reading this right???

Measuring for the adapter:

Measure your stock transmission from the front of the bell housing back to the flange where the transfer case bolts to the transmission tailhousing. Now, measure the distance from the front of your new 4R70W back to where the tailhousing bolts on. In the photo below, you will see the new tailhousing bolted on for an idea of where to stop measuring to. Subtract the distance of the new 4R70W minus the tailhousing from the measurement you took from your original transmission back to the transfer case. The difference in length will tell you how long of a tailhousing you need to keep the Ranger transfer case in the stock location.

To keep the current part time, 2-speed 4x4 transfer case, an adapter kit is available from Advance Adapters that will mate the 4R70W transmission from the 5.0L Explorer to the original Ranger Borg Warner 1350/1354 transfer case. They offer either a 5-inch or 9-inch adapter kit.

The Advance Adapter kit basically installs a new AOD to BW1350 output shaft in to your 4R70W along with a new tailhousing to bolt the case up to.

Back