4WD 5R55E Transmission Pan On 2WD 5R55E? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD 5R55E Transmission Pan On 2WD 5R55E?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Does the 4WD 5R55E deep pan bolt on to the 2WD 5R55E? I want to add a transmission fluid temperature sensor the next time I change my fluid. Any issues if I switch over to the deeper pan? I know I’ll have to use a longer filter too.

I plan to use a pan with a drain bolt like this:

31428082-B5D1-444E-A454-8F5CF2B1161C.jpeg

Then I’ll just use an adapter for the temperature sensor where the drain bolt would go:

6F69DFC8-6B06-4DC6-9A7B-63DA572CE63B.jpeg

I’m adding a coolant temperature sensor this weekend and will have an extra spot in the gauge pod for the transmission temperature sensor. Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll have no problem with the 4WD pan as long as you use the 4WD filter. As for the temp sensor I;m not sure about that.

You'll have no problem with the 4WD pan as long as you use the 4WD filter. As for the temp sensor I;m not sure about that.

The thread sizes match for the adapter on both ends. So it’ll bolt into the pan no problem. Would the pan be the most ideal location for a temp sensor? Or would a fluid line be better?

I and most people here installed an external filter adapter with a hole to mount a temp senor. Much easier in IMO than dropping the pan and change that micro filter. I also have the Dorman pan with drain plug and it makes draining the fluid so much easier.

I and most people here installed an external filter adapter with a hole to mount a temp senor. Much easier in IMO than dropping the pan and change that micro filter. I also have the Dorman pan with drain plug and it makes draining the fluid so much easier.

I’ll have to look into that external filter it sounds convenient. I assume you just leave out the filter in the pan at that point?

I’ll have to look into that external filter it sounds convenient. I assume you just leave out the filter in the pan at that point?
DO NOT try to run the vehicle without the factory filter in place. Without the stock filter in place, there will be no way for the pump to suck the fluid from the pan.

Back