4x Low issue

jobunn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
I was doing some moderate wheeling on an unsuccessful hunting trip this weekend in 4x Low with the tranny in Drive. It would slip out of first and second gears every few seconds at about 10 mph on a slight incline. I couldn't tell if it was just having trouble finding the right gear with the low gearing or if it was a transfer case issue. The tranny workes great out of 4 low. I drained and refilled the t-case a month ago.

Does this sound normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I beleive there is a TSB on this problem. It has to do with the tranny not having enough pressure to hold 1st or 2nd gear.

So it's no big deal. I usually have the car in 1st only when in 4 Low.

Thanks.

Well if you're gonna be offroad in hilly terrain then it is a safety issue. If you go down a big hill without engine braking, you can burn up your brakes quickly.

You need to clarify what you mean. Does it slip out when going up the "incline" as I assumed or does it slip out when going down the "incline"? If it slip out (or in other words freewheels) when going down then do a search for "no first gear proglem". Ford has issued a TSB to fix it. It involves a new gasket. I think the gasket is for the valve body, but I'm not positive. Yours should not slip out of gear regardless of whether or not you are going up or down though. If it is slipping out of gear when going up then you have some kind of problem that will likely get worse (and much more expensive) if not taken care of.

Back