4x4 Tutorial & Notes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Tutorial & Notes

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
I'm in the process of drafting a document that will, when done, help a family member understand and use 4x4 more effectively. While many of us here as well as myself understand how the driveline and 4x4 system work mechanically, some people may not want to take the time or have the desire to learn. Many people though, use an Explorer or similar age Ford truck with a similar system during the winter. My hope is to make a document that concisely describes how the system works and how to use it effectively.

This is the whole reason I got into Explorers actually. My driveway during the winter can get downright scary. It laughs at rear wheel drive vehicles with chains and can even require chains on 4x4 vehicles. Like many, I saw a worn down Explorer for cheap and got it. Since then, I've been learning about how it functions and how it behaves on snow and ice. By no means am I an expert in driving, let alone driving on snow/ice but I do have hands on experience of driving back roads in snow, ice, slush, gravel and any mix of those. Some of you are far more seasoned than I and some of you have never driven in snow. This is a perfect opportunity to share experiences, knowledge and ideas to help those that don't know to better understand the system. Don't be shy to post your input!

Here is my first draft;
Ford Explorer – How to use 4X4

The electronic dash switches send power to the front axle. The locking hubs on the front wheels engage that power from the axle to the tires. Both 4X4 and the hubs need to be engaged in order to have 4 wheel drive.

Never use 4 wheel drive on dry or wet pavement, only on pavement totally covered in snow or ice. If encountering snowy/muddy roads is likely, the locking hubs can be left engaged as long as 4X4 is off. This will allow 4X4 to be turned on while driving, without the need for stopping or getting out of the car.

To use 4X4: (for low traction conditions)
1. Engage the front locking hubs by rotating the knob clockwise to the LOCK position. The knob may feel loose and not 'click' into position but it will as soon as the vehicle rolls forwards or backwards.
2. Preferably while the vehicle is moving, but not accelerating and at any speed under 50MPH, press the 4X4 button on the dash. There should be an audible click from the rear driver's side of the vehicle. The orange light next to the button as well as an orange 4X4 light closer to the steering wheel should illuminate. If the light flashes instead, there is a problem and 4X4 is not engaged. This will require repair before 4X4 will work again.

4X4 should be engaged. High traction surfaces should be avoided to prevent damage. If high traction surfaces cannot be avoided and 4X4 is still needed, do not turn the steering wheel or accelerate hard while driving.

To use LOW RANGE: (for towing heavy loads, driving steep grades or descending a icy hill)
1. Follow previous steps to engage 4X4. LOW RANGE will not engage unless 4X4 mode is engaged first. The front locking hubs do not need to be engaged in order for LOW RANGE to work but should be engaged on low traction surfaces.
2. Put vehicle in neutral with foot firmly on the brake.
3. Press the LOW RANGE button on the dash. The light next to the button as well as a light near the steering wheel will illuminate. There will likely be a loud thunk as LOW RANGE is engaged, this is normal. Occasionally, especially if the vehicle is rolling slowly, it will not thunk but will still be engaged.
4. If speed is not needed, place shift lever all the way down to 1. This will provide the maximum power for pulling/climbing and will limit speed while descending.

Be sure to slowly ease off the brake, LOW RANGE provides a lot of torque and will cause the vehicle to lurch forward. There will also be lurching and seemingly hard shifting between gears, this is normal.

I think it is a noble cause. You might remind to turn 4x4 off in parking lots, lest you bind up the works. Good Luck!
He kind of did by stating not to drive in 4x4 on dry pavement. The one thing I didn't see or maybe missed was that you need to be in neutral to get into and out of 4x4 low range. The number of people who don't know this is absurd.

Regarding the parking lots... I live in a small town and the main roads are usually plowed but there's some smaller parking areas that either don't get or can't be plowed. I actually had to get in 4x4 to back out of my parking spot once. So it all depends on the situation. If it's your typical Walmart parking lot, those usually get plowed and I wouldn't use 4x4 and cautiously avoid tight turns just to ease the stress on the u-joints.

I did get the neutral step for low range. I kind of like to roll slightly while putting it into low since it thunks so hard otherwise. Sometimes I can get it to engage nicely. But this is meant to be a simple newbie guide and I stuck more to the owners manual instructions and just elaborated on a few things.

I'd really like to trim the text down and get it more distilled.

Back