• Register Today It's free!

4x4 vs. Manual

Zacspizza

Reaction score
City, State
oc, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I am looking to buy a 02 x sport. I was just wondering for some opinions on if you think it is worth giving up 4x4 to get a manual tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say an '02 Sport you mean the 2 doors right? You can get one with 4wd and a manual tranny. In fact it would normally be harder to find 2wd manual tranny than a 4wd with manual tranny. If you're talking about a '02 4 door they are very rare but you can still get one with a manual and 4wd.

ya 2 door. and i found a 4x4 auto, and a 2wd manual... people dont get rid of their 4x4 manuals!!! and i dont blame them; its a great car.

Personally for me I don't sacrifice a manual transmission and would sacrifice the 4wd if I had too. If you have some wrenching ability you could make it a project and install 4wd into it.

I tell you what, if you're not opposed to going through the trouble of arranging to have one shipped to you here's a 2003
not very far from me that if you trust me I can go check out for you.

I trust you, but i am going to check out the ones around me first. Plus that one is a little bit out of my price range. Thanks tho

I guess that depends on where you live and how you drive. Is this just going to remain stock and be a daily driver? If you don't need the 4x4, you will get better mileage with a manual 2wd. I personally wouldn't give up the 4x4 but my Ex isn't a DD... it's just a toy. And I don't like wheeling with a manual... just one more thing to do when I'm trying to not slide backwards down a big hill off a cliff...

My DD is a 2wd Ranger that is manual. Mostly cause of the mileage.

I have a manual 2wd and I LOVE IT... I've taken it mildly off-roading and it was fantastic... could use limited slip on the rears, which might get done relatively soon... but i would recommend the 2wd manual for SURE.

ps mines a 97 xl 2 door 2wd manual

If possible i would try to look for an '03 or newer. Seems like the '02 had more issues then the following years since it was the first year of 3rd generation explorer. But there are some guys on here that have '02 and love them as well. I would try to get 4wd with the manual otherwise stick with 4wd if you want to offroad.

He's looking at '02 Sports which are the 2 door Explorers not the '02 4 door Explorers and are the same as 2nd gen Explorers except for cosmetic changes.

He's looking at '02 Sports which are the 2 door Explorers not the '02 4 door Explorers and are the same as 2nd gen Explorers except for cosmetic changes.

Doh. My bad. Ignore my last post please.

Back