5.0 347 swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 347 swap

I lived in the Keweenaw for 2 years which averages 250–300 inches (635–762 cm) of snow each season and has the most lake effect snow in the country with a 98' 5.0L 2wd. I was the first vehicle up brockway mountain in the spring (its a snowmobile trail in the winter) by myself with that truck.

keweenaw-peninsula-snowmometer.jpg

Don't know what to tell you. :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be the combo of ice and hills, but I guarantee you wouldn't make it to work everyday here in 2wd unless it was chained.

I'm sure a comparable 4wd could have made it up the mountain before you did.

Um, Erie Pa averages 10-15 inches more snowfall then West Michigan (which is still not half of what the keweenaw gets) and I drove my 2wd to work all winter every night in the worst conditions. I drive a class 7 salt truck for work and my customers are the biggest businesses in Grand Rapids. I guarantee you, you don't have a clue what I can and can't make it through.

I'm sure a 4wd could have made it up the mountain before me, but then again they didn't dare.

:chug:

Erie's snowfall is measured at the airport, which is far too close to the lake to measure the lake effect snowfall properly.

I don't care how good your skills are, they don't negate the traction of a front drive. A 40 degree incline on 1/2 inch of ice is difficult in 4wd, I can't believe it could be reliably done in RWD.

All banter aside, I'm really digging that sign. Thanks for posting the pic, made me smile.

Iv'e lived is some heavy snow, mountainous areas in northern British Columbia, Canada and I have still never seen a sign like that. Love it.

Hijacked the OP's thread did we?

Started as a 347 swap and got on to who gets the most snow.

Just saying...

LOL

All banter aside, I'm really digging that sign. Thanks for posting the pic, made me smile.

Iv'e lived is some heavy snow, mountainous areas in northern British Columbia, Canada and I have still never seen a sign like that. Love it.

:D

Once you pass that sign, you'll run into this one in Copper Harbor...

-in-copper-harbor-michigan-shows-its-at-the-a3wkfm.jpg

You have to have a sense of humor to make it through the winter up there.

:D:D

My apologies to the OP.

As far as the 347 goes, I think this summed it up best:

Frankly, you've opened a can of worms

If you have money for all the things you already have and have planned, you should also get a set of 1 5/8th headers made for it or else you'd be missing out on a good chunk of power.

My apologies to the OP.

As far as the 347 goes, I think this summed it up best:

If you have money for all the things you already have and have planned, you should also get a set of 1 5/8th headers made for it or else you'd be missing out on a good chunk of power.

Got the injectors and maf sensor. I machined my 28oz dampner and also machined out a crank trigger bracket due to my dampner longer and the pickup would not be centered. Since I 4 linked my truck and have tons under it I went with a set of long tube heddars. Last thing to do is either buy a programmer with custom tunes or have my factory one reburned. Still on the fence with that.

"Still have yet to find the worms"

Got the injectors and maf sensor. I machined my 28oz dampner and also machined out a crank trigger bracket due to my dampner longer and the pickup would not be centered. Since I 4 linked my truck and have tons under it I went with a set of long tube heddars. Last thing to do is either buy a programmer with custom tunes or have my factory one reburned. Still on the fence with that.

KIMG0043.JPG

Looking very stout!

If you wheel anything hard enough it's bound to break. Looks like it's up to the task, and a great jumping off point.

Oh, that's cheating, doing away with the stock suspension. Good work, that gets rid of the limitations for the exhaust then. Open that up to at least twin 2.5" pipes end to end. The computer will need a flasher device, they don't chip the OBDII and newer PCM's. Hunt a used SCT flasher if you only need it for the one PCM, just be sure it's an unmarried flasher(costs $150 to unmarry one).

Get an SF3 or an X3 Sct tuner with a serial number starting with XP. You can find the used in the $200 range. It will plug and play with the v8 explorer pcm and you can make some adjustments without a custom tune. You also have places on the tuner to store 3 custom tunes.

How did you add the trigger wheel? Turn down the balancer to press the tooth ring on?

Get an SF3 or an X3 Sct tuner with a serial number starting with XP. You can find the used in the $200 range. It will plug and play with the v8 explorer pcm and you can make some adjustments without a custom tune. You also have places on the tuner to store 3 custom tunes.

How did you add the trigger wheel? Turn down the balancer to press the tooth ring on?

Yes exactly. And I have a sct just gotta dig it up. I had it on my 7.3 a few years back so I know about uploading custom tunes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What belt drive / timing cover are you using? If anything different than explorer belt drive how the hell did you fit a cooling fan in?

Back